• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Block illiterate eBayer "dharry358" - eBay needs to go out of business

396 posts in this topic

BINGO! Cal is always the victim meh

Interesting! I always thought CAL was a robot from his responses, so wondered how do you upset a robot so much?!

Just kidding you CAL to laugh a little. Come on now - laugh.

CAL8000.jpg

Hello again CGCers

The emails flood my inbox and I have anywhere between 100 - 300 unread EVERY DAY the last day of the auctions until the 2nd day the auctions end. Some are pure nonsense, like the " do you combine shipping", " do you have X-Men xyz", " where did you get that Captain Marvel 9.8?", 'you listed the Silver Surfer 17 CGC 7.5 twice"( but they were TWO different copies and this is why I ALWAYS include the CGC Serial Number because I have multiple Issues of the same ones, like I had 12 ASM 62 Medusa cover and I won't mention how many IMSM 6.0 - 8.5's I keep selling).

The Silver Surfer question was a legitimate question. And it was #16, not #17. You listed the same book twice. The first auction had a picture but the serial number WAS NOT listed in the text.

first auction

The second auction which ended the next day had the same book pictured with the serial number listed in the text.

second auction

How will 2 different buyers be receiving the same book?

The Silver Surfer question was a legitimate question. And it was #16, not #17. You listed the same book twice. The first auction had a picture but the serial number WAS NOT listed in the text.

first auction

The second auction which ended the next day had the same book pictured with the serial number listed in the text.

second auction

CAL8000e.jpg

Some of the shipping I win - some I lose. I paid $225 for this ASM 100 CGC 9.0 off these boards and my expected Insurance cost was $3.70. Signature confirmation is an additional $1.80 even with the Paypal discount. But I do not need to keep justifying my Selling methods, especially when no one asks about my BUYING methods.

This Thread is NOT supposed to be some tutorial for me to give people Free shipping. That ain't gonna happen, ego or not.

Making statements like this makes you come off as no better than the eBay sellers you like to slam. You've sold on eBay a long time and the fact you're saying you win on some shipping says everything anyone needs to know about how you operate. I'd expect the statement from a newbie seller, not one who claims they are attempting to be the best eBay seller out there. If you can't figure out shipping where no one gains or loses at this point, and you've been selling on the site for years, then maybe you should back away from selling online altogether and reflect on why you seem to always have these issues...

Jim

Some of the shipping I win - some I lose. I paid $225 for this ASM 100 CGC 9.0 off these boards and my expected Insurance cost was $3.70. Signature confirmation is an additional $1.80 even with the Paypal discount. But I do not need to keep justifying my Selling methods, especially when no one asks about my BUYING methods.

This Thread is NOT supposed to be some tutorial for me to give people Free shipping. That ain't gonna happen, ego or not.

Making statements like this makes you come off as no better than the eBay sellers you like to slam. You've sold on eBay a long time and the fact you're saying you win on some shipping says everything anyone needs to know about how you operate. I'd expect the statement from a newbie seller, not one who claims they are attempting to be the best eBay seller out there. If you can't figure out shipping where no one gains or loses at this point, and you've been selling on the site for years, then maybe you should back away from selling online altogether and reflect on why you seem to always have these issues...

Jim

:applause:

Jim

CAL8000h.jpg

Cal,

Regarding shipping charges, what you have been prepared to pay when buying is irrelevant when discussing what you charge when selling. They are entirely independent...or at least they should be.

Just because you have been happy paying over the odds doesn't mean that all buyers will be. Now, if you're saying that you've had to pay a lot to buy these books in to subsequently flip, so you're factoring this in when selling...you need to be better at buying.

You say that nobody asks about your buying practices, but why should they? The thread was about somebody buying from you. Whatever you're doing at the other end of the cycle has no bearing.

first auction

second auction

CAL8000e.jpg

:roflmao:

Cal,

Regarding shipping charges, what you have been prepared to pay when buying is irrelevant when discussing what you charge when selling. They are entirely independent...or at least they should be.

Just because you have been happy paying over the odds doesn't mean that all buyers will be. Now, if you're saying that you've had to pay a lot to buy these books in to subsequently flip, so you're factoring this in when selling...you need to be better at buying.

You say that nobody asks about your buying practices, but why should they? The thread was about somebody buying from you. Whatever you're doing at the other end of the cycle has no bearing.

Logic? Reason? Common Sense? You may as well be advising a cat against licking its own butt. The cat won't listen.

Does this thread have anything to do with charging $11.00 for MEDIA MAIL shipping on one book? (shrug)

For how big an item? The Collected Works of Stan Lee from 1941 to 1969?

CAL, I don't know you, and I'm not looking to hate on you, but that seems extremely excessive via Media Mail.

That what he listed for the charge on the book in question in this very thread....

Here is the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220401966082

US $10.95 United States US Postal Service Media Mail

US $13.95 United States US Postal Service Priority Mail®

Heck, even the $14 for Priority mail is a lot (shrug)

Okay the media mail part is higher then what someone would expect. But if you want to dissuade someone from using it, that would be the way to go. As to the priority price. For me over on the east coast that price is about about right when you factor in the insurance for a 2 pound box. Now Cal might make a $1.50 if he used a flat rate box, but I've had a few CGC books crack in shipping because the Slab barely fits in a Flat Rate box.

$14 is what Comiclink charges and we are in the same zone. So I really don't see the $13.95 as being too high for this book insured. But that's just me.

$14 is what Comiclink charges and we are in the same zone.

And Comiclink is profiting, a pretty good profit I might add since they're using UPS, from that shipping charge...

Jim

Jim

While in practice I do exactly what you are saying - try to get the shipping cost as close to exactly what is paid as possible - I don't agree with demonizing the fixed method Cal is using to set shipping charges.

The important thing is that shipping charges are known up front, before you set your bid and that you get the shipping method you ask for. I find it hard to be critical of any shipping charge that is clear and is carried out as reperesented. A buyer can make a decision and factor it into their bid.

If I was going to change anything with what Cal is doing, it would be to remove the Media Mail option and put "no Media Mail" in the listing. Books with the value Cal is selling should not be going media mail. I doubt he ships many that way.

$14 fixed price for priority mail with insurance and signiture confirmation is not, IMO, too much. A two pound package from coast to coast is just under $9. Add in insurance and signiture confirmation and you are pretty much at $14. If you happen to be in a zone near Cal the postage can be as little as just under $5. Is $4 wiggle room that egregious on a $150 sale?

The point about "gaining and losing" is not as clear cut as it should be. With fees at 10-20%, the cost of doing business is significant. The eBay practice of using the final selling price to compute fee percentages (and leaving out the shipping/handling costs) is incentive to try to move as much cost of doing business as possbile to the handling chanrge to reduce fees.

Sometimes I convince myself to change all my listings to free shipping for simplcity, and it isn't long before I convice myself the other way. Being me is a constant struggle. :)