• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A handful of very cool GA books.

23 posts in this topic

Here are a few books I've decided to let go. None of these are easy to find by any means, and they're generally pretty high-demand, thus some of the pricing. I'm open to negotiation on some, not so much on others. PM if you want to talk. As a general rule, this guy: :takeit: is going to cinch the sale, but if I'm working something behind the scenes I reserve the right to decide otherwise.

First up...

Bill Barnes 7. Needs little introduction. One of THE coolest books of the GA with the use of an A-bomb on the Japanese (albeit to induce earthquakes). You can see scans of the story here and read the thread about it here.

This copy is low grade. The cover is completely split and the front is detached. The back is still attached at the lower staple, but I don't anticipate that lasting very long. Aside from that, the primary defect is splitting of the pages at the spine. Intriguingly, the paper doesn't seem brittle. It actually seems like a typical "Cream to off white", but the outermost wrap is split halfway down, and the next 5 or 6 wraps are split each to a lesser degree. I would emphasize that you buy this book as if it were brittle just so that you have realistic expectations, but the paper is much nicer than that. I just had it open to about 150 degrees at the centerfold and was flicking the portions that are split and nothing was breaking off. Little sales data to go with on this one. ComicConnect just sold a raw 5.0 for $645. I'm going to start this one at $125 and see where that goes. Certainly a chance to get an affordable copy.

79543.jpg.6a1932e49bc4338f6b0f8c1228b52cce.jpg

Yikes, I got a little loquacious on that last post. I'll try and shorten this one.

Here's another ultra-cool book. As Jon Berk has pointed out, this one probably served as the template for Suspense 3. All New 8. Just an incredibly tough book to find. The only sale I could find was the Mile High. I know that Rjpb sold a copy on Ebay that was a 5.0 (IIRC, maybe a 6.0) for around $1100 raw. This copy looks just as nice, but I'm going to call it a conservative 3.0 for two reasons. (1) the cover - although not technically detached - is almost detached. It's a single staple book and the front is popped off. There's a sliver of paper from the back cover still under the staple, but you could easily slide it out. (2) the centerfold is detached. Paper is off-white (above average for Harveys). I'm asking a lot for this one because I'm not too excited about letting it go and it certainly presents much nicer than the technical grade. $600 shipped/insured in the US.

79544.jpg.1b2f4eef6b3f77adff5222c953211156.jpg

This is the last one for tonight. I'm starting to have second thoughts about listing these. Spirit 22. I don't need to say much about this one. An all-time classic. In case you can't draw your eyes off of the broad (I use that in it's most endearing sense) there are some date stamps. Otherwise it's a nice sharp copy with great colors, a well-preserved cover image, and very nice OW/W paper. Light spine roll and some soiling on the back cover. I'd call it a VG+ or so. I paid $385 for it, call it $390 and I'll ship it insured within the US. Nothing on GPA within a reasonable time frame other than a 6.0 that went for $647 in March of this year.

79549.jpg.f504d644eab3bd052b129cfc206f9da6.jpg

:popcorn: Don't quit now!

Alright, here's one more. Another tough Harvey Schomburg WWII cover. I bought this one from Al Stoltz as a GVG. I can't argue with the grade. The cover, as with many Harveys, has some tanning around the edges and that's made the spine (of the cover) a little fragile. The interior paper is fine and probably OW. You can buy Terry's copy copy in VG/FN with tape & tear seals for $400 - or you can buy this one for $150 shipped/insured in the US.

79550.jpg.a7b0934f3be958cc44aa14ba7dac5abd.jpg

Bill Barnes 7. Needs little introduction. One of THE coolest books of the GA with the use of an A-bomb on the Japanese (albeit to induce earthquakes). You can see scans of the story here and read the thread about it here.

This copy is low grade. The cover is completely split and the front is detached. The back is still attached at the lower staple, but I don't anticipate that lasting very long. Aside from that, the primary defect is splitting of the pages at the spine. Intriguingly, the paper doesn't seem brittle. It actually seems like a typical "Cream to off white", but the outermost wrap is split halfway down, and the next 5 or 6 wraps are split each to a lesser degree. I would emphasize that you buy this book as if it were brittle just so that you have realistic expectations, but the paper is much nicer than that. I just had it open to about 150 degrees at the centerfold and was flicking the portions that are split and nothing was breaking off. Little sales data to go with on this one. ComicConnect just sold a raw 5.0 for $645. I'm going to start this one at $125 and see where that goes. Certainly a chance to get an affordable copy.

:takeit:

^^^^ (chicken dinnah)

^^^^ (chicken dinnah)

:frustrated: Nice pick up Roy. Thats what I get for going to sleep early lol

That spirit is a great image and decent lower grade copy, if I didn't already have a keeper, I'd grab it for the time being. Nice cover image presentation, and the stamps don't bother me at all....it's just part of the books long history.

That spirit is a great image and decent lower grade copy, if I didn't already have a keeper, I'd grab it for the time being. Nice cover image presentation, and the stamps don't bother me at all....it's just part of the books long history.

I can't believe the book hasn't sold yet. (shrug)

I can't believe the book hasn't sold yet. (shrug)

agreed. A great cover and a book I've wanted to snag for awhile...just bad timing right now (damn NBA playoff tickets). doh!