• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Sgt. Fury #13 (Early Capt. America Crossover)

13 posts in this topic

This is a comic from my dad's collection that got me interested in comics as a child. I am going through that collection and trying to find the best preserved books and am considering slabbing them. This is a book that has me on the fence.

The FF's #48 - 50 were an easy call, even though they are probably 4's at best (They're at CGC, so I'll find out soon!). But this one, I am not sure.

Overstreet values this book at $105 if it's a FN/6. Does this rate a 6? As a CGC 6, does it become more valuable because its grade is now a known quantity? I have a lot of SA books in this 6'ish range and have been wrestling with whether or not it is a good idea to slab them.

Here's the book. Thanks for your eyes!

sgtfury_13.jpg

sgtfury_back_13.jpg

This is a comic from my dad's collection that got me interested in comics as a child. I am going through that collection and trying to find the best preserved books and am considering slabbing them. This is a book that has me on the fence.

The FF's #48 - 50 were an easy call, even though they are probably 4's at best (They're at CGC, so I'll find out soon!). But this one, I am not sure.

Overstreet values this book at $105 if it's a FN/6. Does this rate a 6? As a CGC 6, does it become more valuable because its grade is now a known quantity? I have a lot of SA books in this 6'ish range and have been wrestling with whether or not it is a good idea to slab them.

Here's the book. Thanks for your eyes!

sgtfury_13.jpg

sgtfury_back_13.jpg

Dunno ?

Looks more like a 5.0 or possibly lower around here. (shrug)

Agreed - probably 5.0

FWIW, comicspriceguide.com used to give slabbed and unslabbed prices on books. From memory they listed them from 6.0 up and there was little or no difference at fine. The differential began to increase markedly about 8.0

I think the upshot is that you wouldn't gain anything from slabbing this one. And you'd lose the ability to leaf through it.

No need to slab this one, as it won't increase it's value relative to it's grading fee.

They probably all should have remained raw at these grades.

No, No and No.

Btw, put me in the 4.5-5.0 camp. It's a nicely cut copy that would be nice in anyone's collection. One of the top-10 Marvel covers imho, and one that is quite often mis-wrapped - Put it in a nice 4-mil mylar with a buffered fullback and Enjoy!

I'd have to go 4.5 also. The top edge and the stain keeps it from anything higher IMHO. Take Davids advice and put it in a mylar and enjoy it. Nice book. (thumbs u

DRX

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Divad, I think I slabbed the FF's (48-50) simply to protect them as much as is possible. It's more for sentimental reasons than for value reasons. I would never sell them. FF and the Silver Surfer are my dad's favorites. Thanks for the advice though, as it is relevant to other books that I have from his collection.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Divad, I think I slabbed the FF's (48-50) simply to protect them as much as is possible. It's more for sentimental reasons than for value reasons. I would never sell them. FF and the Silver Surfer are my dad's favorites. Thanks for the advice though, as it is relevant to other books that I have from his collection.

That's cool - sounds great! Enjoy the h-e-double-L out of them! :applause: