• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you add a comic that says "its registered"?

12 posts in this topic

I just bought a Comic and it says its still registerd under another user, but I have the comic.

an email will be sent to the person that has the book registered and they'll have to confirm the sale - then the book will be transferred over to your registry set

If the previous owner of the book doesn't respond to the email within a week then the book is automatically transferred to your set.

If the previous owner of the book doesn't respond to the email within a week then the book is automatically transferred to your set.

I am new to the concept of registering comics, so I apologize in advance if this is a silly question. Hypothetically, how do they keep this from being abused? Can't someone just use someone else's number and claim it's theirs?

• Administrator

They could, but only if the book was not registered to the owner in another set. If the transfer request is made, the owner will be notified by e-mail and have the option to accept or decline the transfer. If a dispute of ownership is to arise, then I would request a scan or photo of the book with dated material on or near the slab and with the barcode number clearly visible to verify the true ownership of the book.

They could, but only if the book was not registered to the owner in another set. If the transfer request is made, the owner will be notified by e-mail and have the option to accept or decline the transfer. If a dispute of ownership is to arise, then I would request a scan or photo of the book with dated material on or near the slab and with the barcode number clearly visible to verify the true ownership of the book.

Just out of curiosity, do ownership disputes happen very often (or at all)?

That makes sense. Thank you, Gemma.

• Administrator

Disputes are rare, but they do happen and are usually quickly resolved (often times the books have certification numbers that are similar). But one thing that happens fairly regularly is that a user will enter the wrong barcode (mistakenly) for a book that actually belongs to a different CGC graded comic. Even though the book does not end up in the set where it was registered, it is still added to that user's inventory. Then, when someone finally registers the book with the number that was mistakenly entered it shows as being registered already. Usually this will result in one of two things either the person who registered the book the first time will deny that the book is in their registry (even though they receive the e-mail) or the new user will throw a fit because they have owned the book for some time and believe that the other user is trying to scam them. Again, this is usually quickly resolved, but it happens more often than an actual dispute. :)

Interesting...

Just for experimental reasons, I took the most recent recorded GPA sale for a Giant-Size X-men #1 @ 9.8 (GPA also records the cert #) and plugged it into my registry.

The book was instantly added to my set; I then cleared it from my set..

It seems like a pretty trivial exercise to just browse GPA and grab cert numbers to enter into your sets..

Are we SURE there are the verification steps outlined above are in place?

Interesting...

Just for experimental reasons, I took the most recent recorded GPA sale for a Giant-Size X-men #1 @ 9.8 (GPA also records the cert #) and plugged it into my registry.

The book was instantly added to my set; I then cleared it from my set..

It seems like a pretty trivial exercise to just browse GPA and grab cert numbers to enter into your sets..

Are we SURE there are the verification steps outlined above are in place?

They are in place.