• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

collectorspal auction of the week...

7 posts in this topic

It seems like he's been mentioned here at least once a week for a while now, so I figured people might like to keep up with his latest auctions. Here's a pair:

Avengers #24 (1966) CGC 9.6 2nd Highest! NR

"This book is a restored grade comic although it is only listed as slight restoration with the cgc notes reading 'very small amount of color touch on cover.' I can't find this small amount the book looks perfect and I can only imagine that 30 some odd years ago someone was looking at this book and a marker was in there hand and hit this book, there would be no need for work to be done it is beautiful. "

My emphasis.

893frustrated.gif

and then there's this one...

Amazing Spiderman #64 9.9 Mint Spider-man NR

"I am not a professional grader and I know CGC has there microscopes ready but this is the nicest copy of a book this old that I have ever seen."

Still very nice books !! But his choice of words could have been better thought-thur . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's very thought through. This salesmanship is a pattern with him. For example, in this auction he wrote...

"The only CGC note is that it has been trimmed on the bottom edge and they do not even give it a Slight Moderate or Extensive classification ( I believe they don't because this really isn't restoration). Where else will you find a 9.6 that has not had any work except been trimmed. I believe this is a perfect unread copy that was probably cut wrong by the manufacturer not by someone trying to improve its appearance. "

and before that, as I wrote in my web log...

The Flash Comics #105(1959) Superman CGC 9.2 Moderate (A)

"CGC highest grade copies, especially in the 9.2 and above range, from this era easily sell for 4 to 6 times guide a good example would be the recent sale ( November 2, 2003 is that recent enough for ya) of a Amazing Spiderman #5 1st Doc Doom CGC 9.4 which guides out in overstreet at $2500.00 it sold for $13,500.0 more than 5 times guide value I could give you more examples but I am sure if you are looking at this auction as a bidder you know what I have here. Overstreet guide on this puts this book at $6491.00 being conservative and giving it a multiplier of 4 its highest grade value is $25,964.00 being that it has moderate restoration it would put this highest grade copy at approximately $15,578.00. All of this is subjective and will be adjusted by the market and demand for a high quality book such as this but I am just trying to take a conservative look at this great investment. "

Whatever this guy has been smoking- sign me right up. A restored book selling for 2.5x guide? Even a tough book like this one? That's just crazy talk. Especially since he's conspicuously ignored divulging the information contained in the "Restoration includes:" line...

AND he's a keyword spammer! Throwing Superman in the title just for kicks smile.gif

[edit] GPA was down earlier so I couldn't search for any sales, but they have an MP 9.0 in their records for $580.00. That seems like an impossibly low price to me, but still... More telling is the highest unrestored sale, a 9.0 - $8,625.00. How likely is getting double THAT for a restored book?