• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's more important the sketch or the condition or both?????

95 posts in this topic

To avoid the trouble, don't submit the book if you think it won't grade out the way you want :)

That's a good philosophy. Mine is don't expect a 9.8 and be pleasantly surprised when you get one.

I need 9.8s, 9.6s for expensive books only. Looking at defects on a book actually bothers me. Even when I collected Silver Age... I had 9.6s

I have to go with Danny on this one...I have trouble collecting comics (sigs or no) under 9.8. It makes my habit much more expensive ;)

Regular (non-sketch) comics are a whole different ballgame and I'm sure there are plenty that would agree that it's not unreasonable to want a 9.8 for a book...especially as common as 9.8's are in the modern era.

I'm surprised he hasn't brought it up yet, but look at Danny's (Par2ch's) Epting Fallen Son. If I'm not mistaken, it's a 9.2. I'd LOVE to have that in my collection as the level of detail trumps just about every sketch in my collection. If that sketch came up for sale, I would pay the same regardless of the grade.

The Adams sketch I had was killer. I had 5 people interested in that piece at the price I had it listed for. I highly doubt I would've gotten what I did if it was a 9.6. In the slab era... grade is very important.

To avoid the trouble, don't submit the book if you think it won't grade out the way you want :)

That's a good philosophy. Mine is don't expect a 9.8 and be pleasantly surprised when you get one.

My thinking is "This is coming back 9.8" and it always does :cloud9:

I need 9.8s, 9.6s for expensive books only. Looking at defects on a book actually bothers me. Even when I collected Silver Age... I had 9.6s

I have to go with Danny on this one...I have trouble collecting comics (sigs or no) under 9.8. It makes my habit much more expensive ;)

Regular (non-sketch) comics are a whole different ballgame and I'm sure there are plenty that would agree that it's not unreasonable to want a 9.8 for a book...especially as common as 9.8's are in the modern era.

I'm surprised he hasn't brought it up yet, but look at Danny's (Par2ch's) Epting Fallen Son. If I'm not mistaken, it's a 9.2. I'd LOVE to have that in my collection as the level of detail trumps just about every sketch in my collection. If that sketch came up for sale, I would pay the same regardless of the grade.

The Adams sketch I had was killer. I had 5 people interested in that piece at the price I had it listed for. I highly doubt I would've gotten what I did if it was a 9.6. In the slab era... grade is very important.

Still is killer :applause:

Still is killer :applause:

Oh yeah!! and hard to get!!! He said no to me the first time I asked... and I offered a VERY significant amount

That's how I look at it too Adam.

Grade = icing on the cake

Dan just about hit the nail on the head with this one. 2c

It is a balancing act between the sketch and the grade. I wouldn't want a killer sketch on a book that had been beat to . But as long as a sketch came back on a 9.+, I'm all gravy.

It is a balancing act between the sketch and the grade. I wouldn't want a killer sketch on a book that had been beat to . But as long as a sketch came back on a 9.+, I'm all gravy.

:acclaim::banana:

art is number one for my personal collection however for resale that grade is key sketch or not.
Everything is for sale eventually (thumbs u

PS: Look for the books :baiting:

i should have the scans for you tontie or tomorrow!

Agreed 9 is usually my low water mark..

There's exceptions to every rule.

I'd love to know what they wanted for the Joe Simon sketch that Raph was talking about. I know it was beat up, but boy that must have been tempting.