• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's more important the sketch or the condition or both?????

95 posts in this topic

I think with certain creators it wouldn't matter to me what the grade was. I would take a Frank Frazetta Sketch cover or a HR Giger sketch cover no matter what grade it was. I would also take a Ralph Mcquarrie sketch cover no matter the grade. I would take a Mcfarlane sketch cover as low as 5.0 if it was a high quality sketch. These are just a few exceptions to the rules.

ya but its like i was trying to say before, it also depends on money, if its a 9.0 and the sketch cost 40$ thats one thing, but in the case i was talking about with my commission it could cost up to 600$ real OA prices so grade plays a factor

I don't collect slabbed books, but that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to grade. And while I have a reputation for owning low grade books, most of my Copper and Modern Age books are VF/NM or better.

Now, when I am aiming for a sketch book or even just getting a book signed by an artist, grade becomes less of a concern for me as this is addressing a different collector need for me--not the cool cover or storyline that a normal comic will do, but instead, having some contact with the original creator/contributor of that particular issue / character.

Heck, if I saw a 2.0 comic with a sketch in/on it that I wanted, I'd be all chips in if it was within my price range!

All right, before I read the thread, I'm going to put in my 2 cents. This way I haven't been swayed one way or the other.

I love me some CGC SS books. I don't think that's a secret at all. I love me some sketches too. The sketches have been an absolute blast to collect! I've got some from artists that I had never heard of but that quickly became some of my favorite sketches on these types of books.

Overall, I say I prefer the sketch over the grade, but I'll admit when a book comes back with.....oh....say a 9.2 (my John Romita Sr.), I am disappointed. Come on, who wouldn't be? It's an awesome sketch, but the grade is....eh.

I only buy CGC SS Sketches on eBay. I know the likelihood of a fake is low even without CGC, but I like the peace of mind it gives me. On eBay, I've dipped as low as 9.2 (I think that's it). On the boards, I went as low as 8.5 for a Ken Kelley Barbarian sketch on a Secret Invasion cover. Another personal rule is that the character have some relation to the book I'm having sketched but Ken Kelley was too good to pass up.

So I guess I have to say that the sketch is the most important thing about the book. I don't want a beat up copy, but a nice presentable one is preferred. Given a choice, I'd have nothing but 9.4 and up, but that's not possible.

for example Raph (Oneasian) recently posted a pic of a Joe Simon sketch that could have been his, it was around 5.0 and really banged up and really detracted from the art, this stuff is OA would you buy OA thats ripped?....

I saw that, and as heartbreaking as it was.....I would have been on it like bath water! :devil:

I've got a page from Al Williamson and Frank Frazetta that has a freakin' coffee ring on it, so yeah, I would buy damaged OA if the artist and the subject were appealing enough.

No, I disagree. sketches..9.0 or higher.. imagine an Adams sketch from 1971..that would be siiiiiiiiiick !! Guess nowadays, anything lower than 9.4 is a cuss word..

Picky collectors!

:eek: I used 9.4 as my ideal cutoff........I guess I'm a picky collector! lol

My 2c

Guess nowadays, anything lower than 9.4 is a cuss word..

Based on this statement, there will be at least a handful of people on this list who will own some F-bombs in a week or two.

1.NYComics

2.NYComics

3.SecretSon

4.PeterPalmer

5.ComicJunkie

6.Makmorn

7.Tropean

8. Chespirito

9. DesertwindComics

10.? Whoever the lucky winner is.

What the heck are you talking about with these? (shrug) What did I miss? :cry:

I'm not saying that I don't care about the grade at all. To me, a 9.8 on a sketch is a cherry on top of the sundae.

I is nice, but I'm generally after that particular sketch.....I love that 9.8 in the corner, too though!

Sean hit the nail on the head when he said a lower grade only hurts if you're selling on ebay. I LOVE seeing non-9.8 sketches on ebay! It means I have less competition when bidding for some reason that is completely beyond me.

so you're the one I'm competing with? lol

I think the same way, I still know the sketch is legit and I'm still happy.

For me, a fair estimate is that it's 95% sketch, 5% grade....

That's a fair estimate for me too, 95% is sketch. Just because it came back low does't mean I'm going to part with it.....

Don't you hate the feeling knowing that something left your house a 9.8 then it comes back a 9.2 or 9.4?

One of my earliest experiences was like that. I thought it was 9.6 or better, it came back an 8.5. I still disagree, but I don't think anyone is to blame but me....

its all about the sketch, unless your anal.

MY anal? What about YOUR anal? or did you mean "you're"? :makepoint:

lol

(thumbs u

my bad i do that alot i ment YOU'RE

Sorry, just the use this time seemed really funny

Based on this statement, there will be at least a handful of people on this list who will own some F-bombs in a week or two.

1.NYComics

2.NYComics

3.SecretSon

4.PeterPalmer

5.ComicJunkie

6.Makmorn

7.Tropean

8. Chespirito

9. DesertwindComics

10.? Whoever the lucky winner is.

NYComics had a sketch opportunity with David Hitchcock in Europe. They'll be coming back soon, most with 9.0's. I think there's a 10th, but I took the most updated list from the thread.

Sean hit the nail on the head when he said a lower grade only hurts if you're selling on ebay. I LOVE seeing non-9.8 sketches on ebay! It means I have less competition when bidding for some reason that is completely beyond me.

I'll send you a PM next time I see a sketch I want there to avoid a bidding war. (thumbs u

1.NYComics

2.NYComics

3.SecretSon

4.PeterPalmer

5.ComicJunkie

6.Makmorn

7.Tropean

8. Chespirito

9. DesertwindComics

10.ComicJunkie

NYComics had a sketch opportunity with David Hitchcock in Europe. They'll be coming back soon, most with 9.0's. I think there's a 10th, but I took the most updated list from the thread.

I'll send you a PM next time I see a sketch I want there to avoid a bidding war. (thumbs u

fixed it ! two are mine :banana: and to me the sketch is more important then the grade.