• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about old label CGC holders

16 posts in this topic

How long is it safe to keep a comic in cgc holder. I bought a comic on ebay that was slabbed in 1999 and it has smear marks on the back cover that I know arent

supposed to be in the 9.6 range. I've heard that seven years is safe. I dont want to ruin anymore comics someone please tell me your thoughts or practices on this matter. Thanks

7 years is recommended by CGC as the 'life' of the slab and to resubimt your books for reholdering. I have no idea how long it actually takes for books to start deteriorating in their holders.

I suppose a lot depends on the age of the book.

How long is it safe to keep a comic in cgc holder. I bought a comic on ebay that was slabbed in 1999 and it has smear marks on the back cover that I know arent

supposed to be in the 9.6 range. I've heard that seven years is safe. I dont want to ruin anymore comics someone please tell me your thoughts or practices on this matter. Thanks

As far as I know, the only reason that CGC recommends to get a reholder done after 7 years is because they haven't been able to test the effectiveness of the micro-chamber paper after that point. After 7 years, it might be inactive. All this means is, worst case scenario after 7 years your comic is not receiving the benefits of the microchamber paper. It is the same as leaving the book in a bag or board - certainly no worse. It will not break down at an advanced level because it is in a slab. I think putting the cgc slab in a mylar bag will be just fine for long term storage.

On a side note: I have heard that if you do not store a slab in optimal conditions (cool/dry) that a slab can cause moisture to be caught in the holder and enhance moisture damage. So just make sure the place where you store your comics is climate controlled with a dehumidifier in the summer time (thumbs u

I guess my question is does the acrylic start to break down and damage the book?? not the age.

The answer is no.

They recommend changing the Microchamber paper every 7 years, but that is an arbitrary number. As long as the book is kept in a relatively cool, dry, and dark environment, and as long as the paper was in good shape to start with, the Microchamber paper should last a lot longer than 7 years.

The inner well of the CGC holder is made of Barex 210, which is an inert plastic and is highly chemically resistant, so it won't break down. The outer shell also will not break down unless you use an improper solvent to clean the outer shell. It won't damage the book.

You learn something new every day. I was told that the microchamber paper actually became harmful to the books. Oh well, that's one lesson I've been glad to learn (thumbs u

I guess my question is does the acrylic start to break down and damage the book?? not the age.

The answer is no.

They recommend changing the Microchamber paper every 7 years, but that is an arbitrary number. As long as the book is kept in a relatively cool, dry, and dark environment, and as long as the paper was in good shape to start with, the Microchamber paper should last a lot longer than 7 years.

The inner well of the CGC holder is made of Barex 210, which is an inert plastic and is highly chemically resistant, so it won't break down. The outer shell also will not break down unless you use an improper solvent to clean the outer shell. It won't damage the book.

So under proper storage, in a box dry cool conditions you should be able to leave your comics in the cgc case for a long time with no fear of damaging them.

I'm curious about this because I have moderns etc that wouldn't be worth the cost of getting reholdered.

Has anyone ever noticed damage to their comics from storing them in the cgc case too long?

I've got a couple of boxes of old red labels, and don't think I'll start

worrying about them for the next few years.

It's a bit of the butterfly in the Amazon rainforest thing.

A butterfly sneezes, worst scenario events happen, worlds collide

and armageddon approaches, and all my precious comics turn

to dust inside a plastic case.

Probably won't happen, so I'm gonna enjoy reading a few comics tonight.

I've got a couple of boxes of old red labels, and don't think I'll start

worrying about them for the next few years.

It's a bit of the butterfly in the Amazon rainforest thing.

A butterfly sneezes, worst scenario events happen, worlds collide

and armageddon approaches, and all my precious comics turn

to dust inside a plastic case.

Probably won't happen, so I'm gonna enjoy reading a few comics tonight.

what year are the red labels from?

I have had a cgc case the had "smears" on it, but they were actually not on the outside of the case or on the book itself. Rather, I think it was moisture that got trapped in the case as a result of being stored in a Humid environment (not by me, but by the previous owner). This may be what the smears are on the back. If so, crack it out.

I have had a cgc case the had "smears" on it, but they were actually not on the outside of the case or on the book itself. Rather, I think it was moisture that got trapped in the case as a result of being stored in a Humid environment (not by me, but by the previous owner). This may be what the smears are on the back. If so, crack it out.

That's the CGC "oil slick" as discussed in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3297349&gonew=1#UNREAD

It's nothing to worry about ...

I posted the Oil Slick thread, and this was very different from the rainbow oily smudge that I saw on some books. This had a cloudy appearance with no oily texture, and another avid CGC collector recommended I pop it out because it was probably moisture accumulation.