• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Motor City Comic Con Report

19 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

This conveniton has been a pleasant surprise in so many ways. I did have my doubts since the economy is the worst in the country.

I was happy to see that there were more people here than last year & there was a lot of comics to choose from.

Today there was also a Sports card show next to the comic con & their main guest was Detriots own Barry Sanders (Football Star of the Detriot Lions) & that show was a ghost town. I was in there for 5 minutes.

Sunday is another day & hopeto see all of you tomorrow.

Happy Birthday Jeff

Wow, if Barry Sanders can't draw a croud in Detroit? That's fugged up.

Yup, I would have left the comic show to see him.

I don't have a Camera at all, Can anyone who is at this convention please post your pictures.

Yes the convention is still in Novi & I spoke with the promotors last night & Yes there will be a convention in 2010, May 14-16.

It did look very grimm on the way here to michigan with all the plants & Malls being empty.

I went to the 12 Oaks mall the other day. If you are from NY, you can compare this mall to Roosevelt Feild. This mall was so empty that you can drag race in the Parking lot & do donuts.

Being in this convention, there were no signs of a bad economy at all. I am guessing that people don't want to give up their hobby & what makes them happy.

I am on my way back for Sunday, I am at BOOTH #533, See you all there

Happy Birthday Jeff

Wow, if Barry Sanders can't draw a croud in Detroit? That's fugged up.

The sports card market always takes a much harder hit in bad times. Not sure why hm

No escapism I suppose

If Barry can't pull a crowd in Detroit....don't think anybody could :insane:

Barry's autograph starts at $99.... starts. Plus it's not like he isn't flooding the market with them. :whistle:

Which probably means a helmet sig or jersey is $200 ?? :screwy:

Barry's autograph starts at $99.... starts. Plus it's not like he isn't flooding the market with them. :whistle:

I walked into that show and it sucked. It sucked because about 2-3 dealers had singles for sale and about 10-13 more had autographed jerseys and stuff that no one ever buys at shows. It was a joke and the promoter should close up shop. If you dont have 50-100 dealers (with sportscards) lined up than cancel the thing. It was an insult to Barry Sanders to even bring him into a show that crappy. I know Gibraltar was scheduled that weekend and most dealers usually head to that show. IT made me sick to walk in and see about 5 people in the room and 1000s of people still waiting to get into the comiccon. Card show promoters need to figure something out soon or card shows will be done.

I would think there would be some amazing deals to be had at this convention - at least for the dealers buying material from local collectors that are dumping collections. I've heard the area is pretty depressed at the moment and things are cheap.

You should have invited Barry over to the comic show.

Somebody should have. I actually worked with a promoter in 1989 (Barry's rookie year) and we had him and Christian Okoye signing in a small town in Ohio. It is weird how accessible players/athletes were back then in comparison to now. I think we paid $6000 or so for Barry and Christian to come in and sign like 1000 or 2000 autos. I can't even imagine how much it cost for guys these days. I got to hand out with him and watch some basketball with the guy. He was really shy and soft spoken and probably one of the nicest athletes I have ever met in my life. Anyways....that is my 2 cents on the matter. I consider him one of the 3 greatest RBs of all-time(w/ Dickerson and Jim Brown) and felt bad he had to be in a show that awful.

The Sports card show, A dealer table was $60.00 for both Days, Sports card dealers are afraid to pay 10x more & make more. That is the way they all are.

Barry Sanders would of made more $$$ at the Comic Con & probably wouldn't have to charge so much for his autograph