• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate FF out today.

87 posts in this topic

I consider FF to be a second-tier title behind Spidey and X-Men. What else can you call it? It's not as popular as those two.

Yes I agree with that. I'd put it behind Spidey, X-Men, and Hulk, and on the same level as Daredevil and Avengers as far as prominence and popularity go. I'm not sure why there have been so few great FF books, but they must be difficult characters to write, or maybe top creative talent just hasn't been on the book in many years.

I've never read the early FF issues, but I'm sure they are great and lots of fun. I'll have to read the first 50 issues or so someday (in TPB form of course).

Yes I agree with that. I'd put it behind Spidey, X-Men, and Hulk, and on the same level as Daredevil and Avengers as far as prominence and popularity go.

I definitely wouldn't place it below Hulk. Hulk, Thor, Captain America, and Fantastic Four are all roughly equivalent in popularity.

Hulk might be a little bit more well-known amongst non-comic collectors due to the 70s TV show, but I figure there wasn't an FF live-action show only because they really couldn't do the FF's powers justice on TV or film until Jurassic Park showed the world what was possible with computer graphics. Same goes for the X-Men, they couldn't do them live action until CGI came out. Actually I seem to recall Stan Lee explicitly saying this in that "Mutants, Monsters, and Marvels" DVD interview with Kevin Smith, and as a big fan of CGI it made perfect sense to me.

Yes I agree with that. I'd put it behind Spidey, X-Men, and Hulk, and on the same level as Daredevil and Avengers as far as prominence and popularity go. I'm not sure why there have been so few great FF books, but they must be difficult characters to write, or maybe top creative talent just hasn't been on the book in many years.

There were a lot of great FF books for the first 25 or so years of the title. After that, the problem lies in your second option- lame creative teams. After Byrne left I can't even tell you who was on the book. All I know is it wasn't very exciting stuff. Sadly that went on for years.

There were a lot of great FF books for the first 25 or so years of the title. After that, the problem lies in your second option- lame creative teams. After Byrne left I can't even tell you who was on the book. All I know is it wasn't very exciting stuff. Sadly that went on for years.

Simonson had a much hyped run afterwards but other than an issue with a brilliant take on Dr. Doom (since forgotten by Marvel), his run wasn't that good IMO. After that DeFalco took over and sent the title into a serious skid (other than a storyline here and there) that really didn't improve until Waid took over the writing.

Jim

Ignoring the stuff that went on in the 70s because I'm not really qualified to talk about that period, I can tell you the FF definitely wasn't irrelevant in the 80s when John Byrne was doing the story and art. Since he was still good at that point (and "hot" since he was basically just off of X-men) it was actually a pretty big deal. It even had a higher circulation than ASM for a couple of years. After Byrne left it really fell into obscurity, which might explain why people just a little younger than me might think of it as a lame title.

Although I bought them as back issues....I collected a complete run of FF from 89-200 when I was a kid. Of those issues, I enjoyed 120-149 the most.

Of course.....I loved every issue of Byrne's run as well. Once he left the title....so did I.

Although I bought them as back issues....I collected a complete run of FF from 89-200 when I was a kid. Of those issues, I enjoyed 120-149 the most.

I agree, but I'd up the range to 120-157, to get that Surfer-Doom storyline in there.

I enjoyed Ultimate FF #1. I bought one copy, read it, and it now sits ready to be filed in my FF box. I don't know if it will be a great investment since the Ultimate line is established. Ultimate Spiderman was probably a good investment since it came first. Investing in Ultimate FF seems to me like investing in the 1990s X-Men 1.

As for the other FF series, Byrne's 1980s run was great and well worth reading.

How many copies of this particular Issue did everyone buy and how do you think it will do for future investment?

Personally, I don't see a significant potential for much of a return here due to the large print run for this particular issue. I was in three of my LCS's yesterday, and they all had about 25 - 50 copies still left on the shelves. And this is four days AFTER the books first came out on Wednesday.

Only thing is that it might be tough to find a true 10.0 copy since every copy I saw since every copy I saw seem to have a tiny printing crease or ding on the left hand spine.

I was in three of my LCS's yesterday, and they all had about 25 - 50 copies still left on the shelves. And this is four days AFTER the books first came out on Wednesday.

It came out Friday; Diamond shipped late due to New Year's on Thursday.

I agree, but I'd up the range to 120-157, to get that Surfer-Doom storyline in there.

I'm going to go read 150-57. I'll get back to you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was in three of my LCS's yesterday, and they all had about 25 - 50 copies still left on the shelves. And this is four days AFTER the books first came out on Wednesday.

It came out on wednesday in some stores

All three shops which I had gone to said that they had received and placed their shipments onto the shelves on Wednesday.