• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2003 Year In Review

9 posts in this topic

So here we are - at the end of 2003. Would love to hear your thoughts on a few things:

1 - what have been some of the hottest / coldest titles / books of 2003?

2 - what are some of the hottest / coldest titles / books heading into 2004?

3 - top ten comic moments of 2003

4 - comics in other medium highlights 2003

5 - favorite acquisition in 2003

Okay, I'll start:

1 - well, I really don't know follow anything but the Batman title. I do have to say that the Neal Adams covers in NM+ have been on fire with what it seems are new highs being tested at every turn. I have also been surprised to see some GA batmans in the 6.0 to 8.0 range not realize 100% of guide, particularly recently

2 - I don't know, but from what I hear FFs are on fire. Does anybody still buy DDs anymore?

3 - personally, some of my favorite moments this past year have been going to cons in different cities. Next year I want to add Chicago to the list. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

On a macro level I would like to point out two things :

a - Hush with Jason Todd?? Batman 617: as you might have imagined this had the biggest impact on me of anything else in the whole year. That last page was unreal . . .

b - Hulk 181 in 9.8 clears $15K. I think we all remember Ideal's sale. Fun to see something like that

4 - Say what you want, Daredevil was a good movie! X2 was a great movie and Hulk never happened.

5 - My favorite acquisition - I finally got a copy of Batman 427 cgc 9.6 thanks to Greggy's keen eye and a BIN smile.gif. I also had the chance to get my Death in the Family TPB signed by Starlin, Aparo AND DeCarlo at the MSG Fantasy show thanks to some help from Kevthemev! wink.gif

Would love to hear other people's thoughts,

DAM

Well...

Ultimate Fantastic Four will be the new comic I buy off the rack this Friday in over 20 years.

I sure hope it's worth it.

If it stinks it will be another 20 years until I buy another. tongue.gif

#1-Batman/Hush on fire, Cold-Marvels Tusnami line

#2-Conan coming back @ the Horse!!!!

#3-Ditto w/ Todd, Hulk vs ABomb in "Dark Minds/Dark Hearts, The Riddler curing his cancer in the "Pit", 1602 charecters A+ work,Black Panther breaking the Red Skulls jaw,Wolverine taking out the crooked Sheriff in the patrol car, Emma Frost-wow,Dr.Strange arranging for Spidey to talk to Uncle Ben in #500,Supes meet Mjolinar(spell?)-I have had Enow!!!!,Thor getting his a*s*s handed to him by Jakelson in "Vikings"

#4- DD and X2

#5-Conan 1-4 for $140(#1 came back 9.0 and #3 is just as nice or better and is at the slabbery now) Hulk 181 for $270 came back 8.0 thumbsup2.gif

I liked Waid's "Unthinkable" storyline in Fantastic Four.
2 - I don't know, but from what I hear FFs are on fire.
This is just a rumor and not at all true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm half-kidding, and half-serious...they only seem hot because the already-low supply has been even LOWER this year, probably due in part to the recession and in part to the announced movie. FF has been going for above guide for years, it hasn't changed that much this year except with respect to the temporary lower availability.
My favorite acquisition
I just looked back at my 2003 purchases, and I bought WAY too much stuff this year...but this one looks like my favorite:

Hottest - NYX. The Walking Dead, Fallen Angel, Y, Thanos returns!

Coldest - Reign of the Zodiac-I couldnt make it past issue 2

Hottest - 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Ultimate FF,Conan, Cap & Falcon return

Coldest - Someone please cancel Reign of the Zodiac !!!! They're killing trees for this title you know.

TOP MOMENTS OF 2003

Jack of Hearts death

HUSH revealed

Daredevil takes over from Kingpin

WizardWorld comes to Texas thumbsup2.gif

Conan 25 center

Batman WonderWoman kiss

Teen Titans return

Teen Titans GO -hopefully this will pull some of the young'uns into collecting

COMICS IN OTHER MEDIUMS

X2-Nightcrawler finally joins the gang!

Justice League and Teen Titans on Cartoon Network. Im hooked on JL

FAVORITE AQUISITION

Wolverine #1 Limited Series in 9.8

Cap America 101 in 9.2

Hottest: Skipping the obvious answers (Batman...), I'll opt for books I personally LIKED the best. Nyx and Ultimate Six have impressed me most. Daredevil to #50 impressed me, but after 51 it confused me--best art of the year, but no developing storyline thereafter.

In 2004, I'd predict Nyx, Pulse, and Conan to do well. If Black Cat #4 comes out, I'll be eager to see whether it's gobbled up or regarded with ho-um indifference (or deliberate avoidance).

Comic moments: Daredevil vs. Bullseye, Daredevil assumes Kinpinship, Nyx introduces a Wolverina-type dysfunctional prostitute, Batman DOESN'T kill Joker (leaving thousands of reader who wish he had), Ultimate Six break out of S.H.I.E.L.D. like a cracker box and whip up on Spider-Man and the whole U.S., Captain America and Avengers confront U6 fearlessly, Jessica reveals her multiple molestations and trauma from Purple Man.

I liked the Daredevil movie as well. I'd like to see 100 Bullets converted to an HBO running series.

Favorite acquisition: high-grade AF 15 (restored). High-grade ASM 23 (unrestored). USM #5, because my wife independently searched for and bought it for me.

Eventual favorite acquisition of 2004: David Mack original art from Daredevil Echo story, ASM #3.

a) I haven't read a book off the rack in years. I'm gonna go after 1602 though.

b) Would someone please explain the whole Batman Hush thing to me?

3 - top ten comic moments of 2003

Dunno. Not a modern market watcher. I've done unusually well recently with Gold & Silver Disney related comics though.

4 - comics in other medium highlights 2003

Nightcrawler in X2! My wife's favorite X-Man. Now she'll watch it with me.

5 - favorite acquisition in 2003

Either my Sparkler Comics #1 (low grade, but you find one) or the pile of 50s & 60s Mad magazines all in FN to VF for $4 each.