• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Hard will the Avengers Market CRASH & when?

167 posts in this topic

What's odd is that I bet most people would agree Avengers #4 is probably the bigger key than Avengers #1, which is a rare event when you think about it -- a later book is more important than the #1 or first appearance of the team/character.

It's always hard drawing the line between "mega-key" and "key". Brave and the Bold 28 gets an extra nod to me, because it restarts the entire team book concept in the Silver Age. Plus, it was the catalyst to FF 1 with its sales success.

I agree 100% with this. JLA gets that bump because it was the first SA team and gave Marvel the kick in tha britches so to speak to get FF started.

What's odd is that I bet most people would agree Avengers #4 is probably the bigger key than Avengers #1, which is a rare event when you think about it -- a later book is more important than the #1 or first appearance of the team/character.

It's always hard drawing the line between "mega-key" and "key". Brave and the Bold 28 gets an extra nod to me, because it restarts the entire team book concept in the Silver Age. Plus, it was the catalyst to FF 1 with its sales success.

You won't hear an argument from me that B&B #28 isn't a mega-key... (thumbs u

Jim

I'm wondering when this "crash" for ASM #300 is supposed to happen. I'd like to pick up a long box worth for $10 each.

Granted, prices aren't at $1700+ like they were on '07...but $700+ for a 1988 book isn't chump change. It remains the second most valuable Marvel 80's book (replaced by GI Joe #21), and the fourth most valuable overall (after Turtles #1 and Albedo #2.)

Crashes are, and always have been, hardest on non-key, common material.

When I see Spidey #300's selling for $10 in "raw NM" THEN I will believe they have crashed.

As far as Silver Age keys go, r1970d pretty much sums it up.

From $1700 to $700 is over a 50% drop in price. I believe when that happens to stock markets or housing it is called a crash. Why should comics be any different? Saying it takes a $1700 book to fall to $10 dollars is just silly.

Edit- the age of the book and its current value relative to other books from the period have no relevance. All that matters is the peak value vs current value.

Bruce

What's odd is that I bet most people would agree Avengers #4 is probably the bigger key than Avengers #1...

I agree.

I remember when sfilosa bought the Boston 9.0 Avengers 4 for $2K in 2005. I said that was a steal and he balked a little. Probably worth $6K+ now.

The ramp up of SA Avengers 1 and 4 may be a spike up then down or just a leveling off. My question is what will happen to Cap GA books.

These are already as hot as can be among GA collectors. My thought related to movie affect is where AV 1 & 4 will probably either level off or go down, I think that GA Caps will either remain level or go even further up. Specifically the GA keys like 1, 3, classic covers, Schomberg WWII covers, and the Weird Tales issues.

So from a speculative POV and at FMV, I'd buy an unrestored GA cap before I bought any of the Avengers. Harder to find sure, but not impossible if you have a range of books you might want.

The ramp up of SA Avengers 1 and 4 may be a spike up then down or just a leveling off. My question is what will happen to Cap GA books.

These are already as hot as can be among GA collectors. My thought related to movie affect is where AV 1 & 4 will probably either level off or go down, I think that GA Caps will either remain level or go even further up. Specifically the GA keys like 1, 3, classic covers, Schomberg WWII covers, and the Weird Tales issues.

So from a speculative POV and at FMV, I'd buy an unrestored GA cap before I bought any of the Avengers. Harder to find sure, but not impossible if you have a range of books you might want.

Timelys in general have been hot for awhile. They will cool down eventually just like everything else. Personally speaking I would grab some Sub-Mariners, and Torch books before MMC and Cap. Just because of the current state of them as the "shiny object". Most the people I have seen buying these books will be tired of them within 6 months.

Timelys in general have been hot for awhile. They will cool down eventually just like everything else. Personally speaking I would grab some Sub-Mariners, and Torch books before MMC and Cap. Just because of the current state of them as the "shiny object". Most the people I have seen buying these books will be tired of them within 6 months.

lol

Pat, Timely books apparently (acc to a few old timers) have always been hot just like SA Marvels.

Most the people I have seen buying these books will be tired of them within 6 months.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I am not sure that Timelys have EVER been cold.

Therefore, the Boston copy is worth $6K? BTW, I sold the Boston 9.0 in early February.

Maybe I give better deals than Comiclink.

Maybe we should look back in 30-60 days on Comiclink for that 9.0 in a 9.2 holder.

I hate to say this but at least with Heritage I can watch the upgrade progression, somebody out there with a lot of time on their hands should do the Comiclink recycle.

While it's nice to see books jumping every week we all shouldn't be tulip bulb salesman. Avengers #4 was common and dead for awhile. I had 4 highgrade copies for sale at one time. Now all of a sudden it's alive again. Enjoy the party while you can and don't be the last man holding the hot potato.

I don't really post "comments", I'm more of a "reader-type" guy, but I will weigh in on this Avengers discussion...................

I've been collecting books since 1971.....I came in as a 10 year old kid at the crossover of the Silver to Bronze Age. I read all the books when they came out from the Marvel Universe.

Now, looking back and re-reading The Avengers 1-100(which I am doing now) I have to say that besides the first Kirby drawn issues, the series is very very weak. The line-up of Cap, Hawk-Eye, Quicksilver, and the Scarlet Witch, is almost embarrassing and the stories are awful. As the series moved towards issue 100, and after that, it did get better. The addition of the Vision in issue 57 is, in my opinion, one of the most over-rated 1st appearances in Marvel history. Outside of collectors, who really knows The Vision..?? He never made an "impact" to the Marvel Universe...just another super-hero.

Now, my point is this: Avengers 1 and Avengers 4 are the only Marvel keys of the series! The rest of the title holds no value when compared to Fantastic Four, The Amazing Spider-Man, Strange Tales(w/Dr. Strange), or even Journey Into Mystery. The series is very very weak, as a whole..............that is why individual copies can be bought on the cheap(check out some sales threads with Avengers issues on this site).

Now I would also add that Avengers 1 seems like it could have been printed as a Journey Into Mystery comic, but Avengers 4 stands on its own 2 feet.

I feel Avengers 4 would be the book to own before Avengers 1.......but what the heck do I know... (shrug)

I don't really post "comments", I'm more of a "reader-type" guy, but I will weigh in on this Avengers discussion...................

I've been collecting books since 1971.....I came in as a 10 year old kid at the crossover of the Silver to Bronze Age. I read all the books when they came out from the Marvel Universe.

Now, looking back and re-reading The Avengers 1-100(which I am doing now) I have to say that besides the first Kirby drawn issues, the series is very very weak. The line-up of Cap, Hawk-Eye, Quicksilver, and the Scarlet Witch, is almost embarrassing and the stories are awful. As the series moved towards issue 100, and after that, it did get better. The addition of the Vision in issue 57 is, in my opinion, one of the most over-rated 1st appearances in Marvel history. Outside of collectors, who really knows The Vision..?? He never made an "impact" to the Marvel Universe...just another super-hero.

Now, my point is this: Avengers 1 and Avengers 4 are the only Marvel keys of the series! The rest of the title holds no value when compared to Fantastic Four, The Amazing Spider-Man, Strange Tales(w/Dr. Strange), or even Journey Into Mystery. The series is very very weak, as a whole..............that is why individual copies can be bought on the cheap(check out some sales threads with Avengers issues on this site).

Now I would also add that Avengers 1 seems like it could have been printed as a Journey Into Mystery comic, but Avengers 4 stands on its own 2 feet.

I feel Avengers 4 would be the book to own before Avengers.......but what the heck do I know... (shrug)

I agree with you. AV 57 is just such a wicked cool cover. :cloud9:

I feel Avengers 4 would be the book to own before Avengers.......but what the heck do I know... (shrug)

Yeah , I never really thought about that. Avengers #1 w/ Loki taking up 1/3 of the cover does resemble a JIM as opposed to the Avengers #4 that has that "All-American Classic look , which I like 10 times better. (thumbs u

Most the people I have seen buying these books will be tired of them within 6 months.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I am not sure that Timelys have EVER been cold.

I am not saying they will be "cold" but I believe the amount of serious buyers will dwindle. And I am speaking on a lower graded level. The average collector may buy them here and there. But for how long? I am not saying the books will take a dump either, just that like any other books there is a hot and cold time. There have been alot of buyers the past year I ahve watched gobble up copies that are a bit beyond their normal comic buying habits concerning price. This leads me to believe the books will be resold rather quickly.

Yeah , I never really thought about that. Avengers #1 w/ Loki taking up 1/3 of the cover does resemble a JIM as opposed to the Avengers #4 that has that "All-American Classic look , which I like 10 times better. (thumbs u

You dont even like comics :baiting:

lol

Pat, Timely books apparently (acc to a few old timers) have always been hot just like SA Marvels.

MMC and Cap you mean.

I could not BELIEVE how many times Subby, Torch, and the other less noteworthy titles have been offered for sale here to either not sell or be steeply discounted.

And Roy. You are hands down a biased opinion. You have far too much to lose with those books.

When I got into the GA collecting last year I watched very closely. Timely's had REALLY started going CRAZY. Im not saying they were "cold" they are expensive and desireable by many collectors. But alot of these books seemed to have a pool of buyers that really exploded onto the scene.

You dont even like comics :baiting:

Naked dolls ? (shrug)

Avengers 16, New team?

Avengers 71, first Invaders?

Compared to Daredevil, Avengers are a cornucopia of keys. Sgt Fury too ya know?

X-men pre 93 isn't exactly key heavy.

Xmen 1 v Avengers 1

Xmen 12 &14 v Avengers 4

Xmen 35 v Avengers 11

Xmen 28 v Avengers 57

X-men 66 v Avengers 71

X-men 51-65 v Avengers 93-100