• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Hard will the Avengers Market CRASH & when?

167 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, I never purchased many Timelys because I was so into the Silver Age stuff that I grew up with. I did get an Avengers #4 (couple of them), because I love Cap and because the cover was great. I never obtained a #1 because the cover sucked. Well, I had one as a kid, but I never "invested" in one later in life when I really started collecting for financial reasons. No one really cared about #1 but there was always interest in #4. Not like now of course.

This Timely talk reminds me of back in the 80's when I would go to conventions, and there was this "fan boy" type guy running around at the conventions with a box or stack of books, wheeling and dealing to make a buck or two, here and there. I considered him somewhat weird, but not to "off" (it was at comic book Cons, after all), and the last time I saw him, he was running around telling everyone that the thing to buy was Timelys. Her was telling everyone (whether they knew him or even were looking at him), that Timelys were going to take off and be big money later.

Wish I would have taken that "fools" advice back then. I was just too busy chasing the ASM, IronMans and all of that stuff. Not that I am unhappy to have them because I ain't. But I wouldn't mind having a long box of Timelys right now also.

Anyone remember that guy? White, about 5'10". beer belly and overweight. Dark short hair and wore glasses, and wore his trouseers pulled way up above his waist. He was always walking around the conventions trying to sell or trade with dealers, with cheap mid and low grade books.

(Hey, I apologize in advance if I just described you) :)

To the original question. IMO, #1 will slack off some after the hype, and #4 will also slack off, but to a lesser extent, and mostly because it is more plentiful than #1, in my experience. #4 is far more desirable than #1 to most of us.

I will say that we baby boomers are the (key) period! that simple!!! we love to re-live our youth,so if you bought batman #1 at 10 years of age you are pushing 80 a spidey #1 60 and so on with this fact,however if your in it just for the money????????? the game becomes like any stock you buy on the market.Best Regards to my fellow collectors.

Unfortunately, I never purchased many Timelys because I was so into the Silver Age stuff that I grew up with. I did get an Avengers #4 (couple of them), because I love Cap and because the cover was great. I never obtained a #1 because the cover sucked. Well, I had one as a kid, but I never "invested" in one later in life when I really started collecting for financial reasons. No one really cared about #1 but there was always interest in #4. Not like now of course.

This Timely talk reminds me of back in the 80's when I would go to conventions, and there was this "fan boy" type guy running around at the conventions with a box or stack of books, wheeling and dealing to make a buck or two, here and there. I considered him somewhat weird, but not to "off" (it was at comic book Cons, after all), and the last time I saw him, he was running around telling everyone that the thing to buy was Timelys. Her was telling everyone (whether they knew him or even were looking at him), that Timelys were going to take off and be big money later.

Wish I would have taken that "fools" advice back then. I was just too busy chasing the ASM, IronMans and all of that stuff. Not that I am unhappy to have them because I ain't. But I wouldn't mind having a long box of Timelys right now also.

Anyone remember that guy? White, about 5'10". beer belly and overweight. Dark short hair and wore glasses, and wore his trouseers pulled way up above his waist. He was always walking around the conventions trying to sell or trade with dealers, with cheap mid and low grade books.

It's not like those Timelys were sitting in the dollar box back in the 80s. Relative to many/most other comics they have been expensive for a long long time.

SA Marvel Keys are played-out when compared to the far more desirable Charlton SA Keys market. Collectors will eventually have enough of the Marvel Zombie craze and this will lead to the unstoppable, stratospheric ascension of the towering books of Charlton Silver Age Greatness. I mean, has anyone read FF1 - 100? What a joke! Stan Lee is a clown in almost every way measurable.

I agree with you on some of those FF 1-100's, some ASM stories are terrible, particularly # 83 .

I always wonder what's really driving some of these markets.

Like Showcase 22 - seems to be a bunch of dealers selling to each other on speculation, and driving prices out of the reach of the average collector.

Yup

And...., how many copies for sale right now in the forum marketplace....., ???

4 less now that i just sold all 4 i had listed.....

:think: And how did they sell..., ?? Selling four copies to one person probably means that 3-4 of them are still available....,

It's not like those Timelys were sitting in the dollar box back in the 80s. Relative to many/most other comics they have been expensive for a long long time.

I'll have to take your word for that as I didn't actively pursure them and have no recollection of what kind of prices they were pulling. It seems to me though, that they were not all that expensive compared to the ASM and X-men silver age stuff.

I do remember though that I had this vision that ASM #50 was going to skyrocket in value and was looking for all I could get at that time. The book value was I believe 14 bucks at that time. Trouble was, I could not find any. I got a couple and could not find anymore, and I was looking hard. I also was looking for Iron Man #1's at that time, with the same thought, and found plenty at around 50 bucks each for nice ones. They didn't increase in value like I thought they would though, until this year. They should still climb some more, even though they are plentiful. Great cover, great character and great future.

I'll have to take your word for that as I didn't actively pursure them and have no recollection of what kind of prices they were pulling. It seems to me though, that they were not all that expensive compared to the ASM and X-men silver age stuff.

------------------------------

Alls I know is that I hit a show back in 1984 or 85 with a stack of early SA Spideys and FFs. Low grade, but stuff like 2 - 10, Annual 1, etc. (the FFs were later). Most of the dealers weren't all that interested, pointed me at their wall GA books like the Timelys and said that's what they were looking for and those seemed to be a lot more expensive. I wound up selling a lot of the SA books to convention goers. They were my brother's books, he was giving me a cut of what I made for him. He promptly converted that money into marijuana. I would rather have the books now than him being high 25 years ago, but whatever....