• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High 2 vs. Don Rosa - which pedigree gets the least respect?

Which pedigree gets the least respect in terms of getting higher prices?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Which pedigree gets the least respect in terms of getting higher prices?

38 posts in this topic

I am always surprised that people are willing to pay twice as much for a book just because it has a certain pedigree. But to each his own.

But there are 2 pedigrees I find do not draw extra money, they usually sell for about the average price of the same book without the pedigree. And those 2 are Mile High 2 and Don Rosa.

Anyone agree with me?

Are these the 2 least respected pedigrees out there?

And if so, which one gets the least respect in terms of pricing power? (vote in poll)

Mile High 2 isn't a pedigree, so your point is moot, sadly

OK, correction .....

Which "indicator" on the CGC label gets the least respect?

Mile High 2 or Don Rosa?

My point was that I think the 2 of them get no respect.

Mle High 2 I understand why.

Don Rosa I don't understand why.

Why are people not willing to pay any more for a Don Rosa book (in general).

OK, correction .....

Mile High 2 or Don Rosa?

My point was that I think the 2 of them get no respect.

Mle High 2 I understand why.

Don Rosa I don't understand why.

Why are people not willing to pay any more for a Don Rosa book (in general).

The Don Rosa books are not that spectacular of a collection. The grades are not as steady as other peds I have seen, and the books you see for sale now are generally the "leftovers".

I am actually working at putting together a small run from this pedigree. But doubt I will be able to find a few. I am currently about 20% complete for the run.

The bigger problem with the Don Rosa's that I can tell is that the Silver Age books aren't on the market yet...

The bigger problem with the Don Rosa's that I can tell is that the Silver Age books aren't on the market yet...
Thats something I had not realised. But should have noticed. The collection I believe starts around 67? So I wonder who has those books?

Thats something I had not realised. But should have noticed. The collection I believe starts around 67? So I wonder who has those books?

I was under the impression that Don still has the silver age stuff.

I dont know for sure. But I did just scoop up a batch that just arived of more BA titles :cloud9:

I dont know for sure. But I did just scoop up a batch that just arived of more BA titles :cloud9:

My understanding is that DR still has the Silver books. I would disagree about the "inconsistency" of the books. I have 20 or so Rosas, more than any other ped or collection. They are consistently excellent examples. But they are Bronze books, and to me, not worth any real premium over other excellent copies of Bronze books. Also, the backstory is not very sexy like the Green Rivers or the Curators. Finally, there is also a perception that some of them may have been "massaged" to the point of happy ending before being slabbed. That's a big deal for some people.

My understanding is that DR still has the Silver books. I would disagree about the "inconsistency" of the books. I have 20 or so Rosas, more than any other ped or collection. They are consistently excellent examples. But they are Bronze books, and to me, not worth any real premium over other excellent copies of Bronze books. Also, the backstory is not very sexy like the Green Rivers or the Curators. Finally, there is also a perception that some of them may have been "massaged" to the point of happy ending before being slabbed. That's a big deal for some people.

When I say inconsistent Sean, I meant as far as not having a very large run of NM+/highest graded copies. The ones I own are all VF/NM- to NM+, I have turned down many that are in the lower VF range. Im not saying they are turds, but if you look at runs like the Rocky Mountain or Oakland they seem a bit more steady in grade.

Not to say I could be entirely wrong. But please dont beat me for it..

When I say inconsistent Sean, I meant as far as not having a very large run of NM+/highest graded copies. The ones I own are all VF/NM- to NM+, I have turned down many that are in the lower VF range. Im not saying they are turds, but if you look at runs like the Rocky Mountain or Oakland they seem a bit more steady in grade.

Not to say I could be entirely wrong. But please dont beat me for it..

I have 40 pounds to lose and a significant amount of martial arts training to go before I throw you the beating you so richly deserve.

OK, correction .....

"From the collection of Dallas Stephans" or

"From the collection of Nicholas Cage"

What is the significance of the "Mile High II" indicator?

Thx!

There is none.

Chuck got word of a warehouse full of books. The warehouse may or may not have been owned by people with a less-than-lawful state of mind.

Chuck bought said warehouse. Over a million books, iirc.

Many years later, after the creation of CGC, Chuck found a "pallet" or thereabouts of previously undiscovered books from the same horde. He gave CGC a lot of money in exchange for the Mile High II designation on just these books. Probably a mistake on CGC's part, but companies of all stripe have been known to do silly things for large enough sums of money.

My understanding is that this was a one-time shot for that particular submission / set of books, and that no new MH2 books will ever be slabbabbinated.

Basically, the MH2 designation was bought and paid for and is neither a pedigree nor a collection. It's a warehouse find.

OK, correction .....

"From the collection of Dallas Stephans" or

"From the collection of Nicholas Cage"

I seriously considered buying a book I don't really need with the DS designation on it just so I could crack it out and send the label back in to CGC

My understanding is that this was a one-time shot for that particular submission / set of books, and that no new MH2 books will ever be slabbabbinated.

At first this seems unreasonable, but perhaps the reason would be that people would start mixing non-MH2 books with MH2 certificates. For example, I buy a Hulk 181 MH2 in 8.5 with it's MH2 certificate. The I take a that MH2 certificate, pair it with my raw Hulk 181 in 9.4 and send them both to CGC.

And presto, I now have a Hulk 181 from the MH2 collection in 9.4

This is probably the reason the MH2 designation was a one time thing.

At first this seems unreasonable, but perhaps the reason would be that people would start mixing non-MH2 books with MH2 certificates. For example, I buy a Hulk 181 MH2 in 8.5 with it's MH2 certificate. The I take a that MH2 certificate, pair it with my raw Hulk 181 in 9.4 and send them both to CGC.

And presto, I now have a Hulk 181 from the MH2 collection in 9.4

This is probably the reason the MH2 designation was a one time thing.

You could do this with any of the peds/collections that came with a cert... hm

Jim