• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double covers?!

14 posts in this topic

lol. I'm just confused by it...

I'd like one in my collection, but don't they like triple the value? I just find that crazy.

Then looks like you won't have one in your collection.

No matter what you think about it. lol

Can somebody explain the big deal with them and why they're worth so much more? It just seems irrelevant to me.

It's a rare mistake that's more desirable--you get TWO covers for the price of one, that is, unless you're buying it second-hand, in which case you get two covers for the price of ten or twenty. :P

It's not ALWAYS more desirable. There was a CGC 9.2 double cover X-Men #1 on the market about 6-7 years ago that got gutted--somebody had one of the covers removed and resubmitted it. I vaguely recall the resubmitted grade was 9.4, but I could be remembering wrong--I distinctly remember it selling for a lot more without the double cover than with it. It's the only major key I've ever seen that was a double cover, so I saved a scan of it when I first saw it .

lol. A normal reply! Thanks.

I guess it is kinda cool - it's just weird how they increase in value so much more.

Can somebody explain the big deal with them and why they're worth so much more? It just seems irrelevant to me.

It's a rare mistake that's more desirable--you get TWO covers for the price of one, that is, unless you're buying it second-hand, in which case you get two covers for the price of ten or twenty. :P

It's not ALWAYS more desirable. There was a CGC 9.2 double cover X-Men #1 on the market about 6-7 years ago that got gutted--somebody had one of the covers removed and resubmitted it. I vaguely recall the resubmitted grade was 9.4, but I could be remembering wrong--I distinctly remember it selling for a lot more without the double cover than with it. It's the only major key I've ever seen that was a double cover, so I saved a scan of it when I first saw it .

I think it's the rarity of double covers, triple covers, etc. that makes them enticing and gets people to pay a premium for them. I personally have 15 known double cover issues (4 slabs and 11 raw) but only bought 2 or 3 of them as double cover issues. All the rest are ones that I have discovered in the collections I have purchased since 2002. I still have thousands of comics to grade so I'll be looking for more double cover issues as I go through that process.

I think it's the rarity of double covers, triple covers, etc. that makes them enticing and gets people to pay a premium for them.

Totally. I bought Daredevil 184 off the stands and found my copy had two covers when I got home. I was like WTF?? Once I asked other people about it and realized it's just a really, really rare mistake, it seemed pretty cool, like I had won $100 off a lotto ticket or something. It seems weird that this would happen--you'd think the second cover would most often get all smashed up instead of fitting onto the book perfectly. Maybe that's true and the smashed-up ones just get tossed by the press operators since they're easy to spot. (shrug)

I don't collect them, but I'd pay more for them on the titles I collect. I bought an FF 117 CGC 9.6 double cover from hoodeehoo when he sold all his FFs a few years ago, it didn't go for a ton over GPA, maybe 50%, so I thought, why not.