• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I be wary of this?...

20 posts in this topic

I've got a few modern lots selling on eBay at the moment.

Last night i get this email from an interested buyer:

Hello,

I am interested in your items listed on ebay

Comic1 #9 - #12 NM-

Item: xxx

I will offer you $110.00 AUD for them.and i will like you to end the auction, if we have a deal at that price. I pay via Paypal the secure way to make payment online fast and easy. So get back to me with your Paypal account so I can transfer the money asap.

Oh and I will arrange for pick up myself, I have a reliable shipping company I always use for picking up my goods.

Thanks

Nameis Here

Ebay User ID: blahblah.

I reply saying that if they use the BIN option, they can have the lot for only $86, and the auction will end automatically anyway.

This is the reply I got:

Hello,

Thanks so much for getting back to me,i would ve loved to buy the item now but i am having problem in given feedback to my seller because someone hijacked my direct link to paypal account so i just rectified it but still not yet going .This is why i am asking you to sell it for me here so i can use my other paypal account to pay you.

Nameis

The difference in writing styles between the first email and the response immediately stands out. The convoluted reasons given seem like utter c r a p.

Anyone else seen this sort of thing before?

Hello,

Comic1 #9 - #12 NM-

I will offer you $110.00 AUD for them.and i will like you to end the auction, if we have a deal at that price. I pay via Paypal the secure way to make payment online fast and easy. So get back to me with your Paypal account so I can transfer the money asap.

Oh and I will arrange for pick up myself, I have a reliable shipping company I always use for picking up my goods.Thanks

Nameis Here

I reply saying that if they use the BIN option, they can have the lot for only $86, and the auction will end automatically anyway.

This is the reply I got:

Hello,

Thanks so much for getting back to me,i would ve loved to buy the item now but i am having problem in given feedback to my seller because someone hijacked my direct link to paypal account so i just rectified it but still not yet going .This is why i am asking you to sell it for me here so i can use my other paypal account to pay you.

Nameis

The difference in writing styles between the first email and the response immediately stands out. The convoluted reasons given seem like utter c r a p.

Where I bolded your text is the biggest sign of a fraudster. Second is asking to end the auction yet still pay via paypal.

Yeah that's total fraud, report these shenanigans to feebay. The stuff Paratrooper bolded was head-on, and there are other signs as well. If the buyer had mentioned being a Nigerian prince he'd have hit all the bases. :P

What is the ebayers ID?

When I read your little question, I wondered if it was possible to search for eBay IDs.

What do ya know!

The ID belongs in the UK, and has never bought or sold anything relating to comics.

Sc um su ck ing sc am mers !! :mad:

What is the ebayers ID?

When I read your little question, I wondered if it was possible to search for eBay IDs.

What ya know!

The ID belongs in the UK, and has never bought or sold anything relating to comics.

Don't trust anyone from the UK lol

What is the ebayers ID?

What ya know!

+1

What is the ebayers ID?

What ya know!

And never ever, wiffle and shake, sell to Canadians. They can't bake but they've got bacon.

To any UKers who I may buy stuff from, or who I have already bought stuff from:

My "Sc um su ck ing sc am mers !!" quote was not aimed at you.

And I also don't have a problem with Canardians.

What is the ebayers ID?

What ya know!

And never ever, wiffle and shake, sell to Canadians. They can't bake but they've got bacon.

Hello,

Comic1 #9 - #12 NM-

Oh and I will arrange for pick up myself, I have a reliable shipping company I always use for picking up my goods.

Thanks

Nameis Here

This is the reply I got:

Hello,

Nameis

Out the scumbag, let us UK boardies harass someone til they get booted off ebay for a change :banana:

The eBay ID is based in the UK, the hijacker (if there is one) could be anywhere in the world.

I sent copies of the emails to eBay. They're looking into it now.

Out the scumbag, let us UK boardies harass someone til they get booted off ebay for a change :banana:

This is a very common scam run all the time on Craigslist. Normally what will happen is something will end up being wrong with his Paypal account and his "secretary" will send you a "certified" bank check. But she will be stupid and send out a check for like $1100. He will write to you and let you know and ask if you could send him the stuff and send him back $800 or $900 keeping the additional money for yourself for the inconvenience. After a couple of weeks you will find out there either is no bank by the name on the "certified" check he sent you or it's just plain a forgery.

And I also don't have a problem with Canardians.

Where are they from? Canardia?

Grab a globe and get educated Gav. It's right above Ameristan and Mexilink.

Thanks Nick! Geography has never been a strong point of mine.

And Mexilink :roflmao:

Just a word of warning to close off this thread.

Got a reply from eBay about the shonky looking email I reveived...

Not only was it a hijacked account, but the email I recieved had a key stroke virus in it!! It appears it was something eBay was well aware of.

eBay gets some stick around here, but thier initial response to my report was quick and helpful. They've done a good job investigating this.

Regards,