• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling collection, opinions on where to sell.

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've decided recently to sell off my collection of Superman and Action Comics which I've collected on and off over the last 30 years. Its complete from Silver age to present with many golden age issues as well.

My questions are:

1) What's the best avenue to take to realize the highest returns for the least effort?

2) Is now a good time to sell considering the economy?

3) Is now a good time to sell Superman books?

I don't have a lot of time/energy to submit to cgc, post on ebay etc...

Hopefully I've given enough information for readers to leave input on how I should go about doing this.

thanks,

Mario

Hopefully I've given enough information for readers to leave input on how I should go about doing this.

You really haven't. How much do you think the whole shebang is worth? You said nothing about the grades on the books, meaning the collection could range in value from $2,000 to $2,000,000. The estimated value determines how you'd list the books, and particularly would determine whether you're better off selling them yourself, which it sounds like you don't want to do, or consigning the whole collection to someone else to sell, in which case you'd forfeit 10% or more of the value, possibly a lot more if the total value is lowish.

I think it depends more on the era of Supes and Action books that you've got and the grades of them. If it's all high grade books under #100 then you may consider having them CGC graded and then put into one of the bigger auction houses such as Heritage of Comiclink. If these are from 30 years ago, starting approximately 1979, I'd say that you haven't got too much there. Making a list of the books, scanning a few of the better ones, assigning grades to them, and then pricing them, should be the steps to take if you decide to sell them here or on eBay. If you decide to sell them here, please do it in the correct forum and please read the forum guidlines for selling before making your post.

Andy

I'll post some pics in the next few days.

Actually its not only from '79 and up, its complete silver age to present with many golden age too.

Sorry...was I not supposed to include individual issues?

Actually its not only from '79 and up

Here is the list:

Action

65, 70, 95, 106, 112, 115, 132, 151, 159, 171, 172, 175, 177, 189, 191, 194-196, 200, 203, 208, 210, 211, 213, 214, 216-present

Superman

54, 70, 74, 89, 93, 94, 97, 100-present

Action 242 & 252 are two that you should consider slabbing if you haven't already

Regardless of where you choose to sell, if you choose to do it yourself, you're going to spend a LOT of time and effort, as you'll go through 5 to 50 rounds of trying to sell them, whittling the pool down a little more each time until they're all gone. If you'd rather avoid that, look for someone to consign them with; it sounds from those issue numbers that you may have enough total value there for someone else to work with and not completely suck the collection's value away.

If you sell them yourself, you're going to have to look for a source of the energy you said you lack. The best way is to think back to when you bought the books, what made you want them, what you enjoyed about buying, owning, and reading them. If you can get yourself into that same mindset again, selling them yourself could become something you're capable of.

Most work = selling them individually, either through eBay or Comiclink or the like, = most return.

Less work, ok return = consignment to an auction house, as mentioned.

Least work = selling them in one lot, or large lots = poor return.

There's really no way around it. If you want to see the most money, you're going to have to do a lot of work. If you want to pay someone to do that work (ie, consignment) you may avoid the work, but then you'll be paying someone else to do it.

Actually its not only from '79 and up

Here is the list:

Action

65, 70, 95, 106, 112, 115, 132, 151, 159, 171, 172, 175, 177, 189, 191, 194-196, 200, 203, 208, 210, 211, 213, 214, 216-present

Superman

54, 70, 74, 89, 93, 94, 97, 100-present

You might want to check out our online buying system ( http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics). We'll give you good prices for your comics without you having to invest a lot of time and effort getting them sold.

our buying listings for your Action issues

our buying listings for your Superman issues