• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got back my PGX re-sub from CGC ................

132 posts in this topic

I would give the book a 5.0

You can grade a book from only a blurry picture of the front cover taken through a slab? That's some serious skill. :o

I was going by the amount of spine roll. And I was not trying to rag the book at all, but wondering how dekeuk felt, if the book was on point.

And if that impresses you check out the grading game sometime. It will blow your mind.

Congrats on a SWEET resub! Good to hear you didnt get a PLOD on it.

But in all honesty, do you agree with the grade? Because I am REALLY considering having all my GA graded fast if they are this loose. I would give the book a 5.0

And please dont take this as me trying to bash your sweet pickup (love me some GA Bats) But by those standards I would press and resub that bad boy FAST!

I thought the biggest defects were the spine roll and the mark on the cover that is not a date stamp. I guess it's that thing they call the golden age bump

Congrats on a SWEET resub! Good to hear you didnt get a PLOD on it.

But in all honesty, do you agree with the grade? Because I am REALLY considering having all my GA graded fast if they are this loose. I would give the book a 5.0

And please dont take this as me trying to bash your sweet pickup (love me some GA Bats) But by those standards I would press and resub that bad boy FAST!

I thought the biggest defects were the spine roll and the mark on the cover that is not a date stamp. I guess it's that thing they call the golden age bump

I will just take it to PM. I dont need anyone having a heart attack.

The GL book is still a win in my opinion. These PGX books sell at a discount, you probably bought the PGX 6.0 at the same price a CGC 3.0 to 4.0 would command. At the very least, this is a "push". A loss would have been having it come back purple label 4.5 2c

you lose some...

gl76frnt60pgx.jpg

gl76frnt45ss.jpg

That is an awesome story..never heard the upgrade from PGX to CGC, interesting hm

With about 10+ books submitted to CGC that were PGX all but one of mine went up in grade. Some PGX as much as 3 grades. 8.5 to 9.4, 9.0 to 9.6.

I have 7 books there right now that were PGX. The only one I think might come back lower is the ASM #35. It was a PGX 9.0 but I think it might come back 8.5. Of course they all could come back higher, but in purple labels. :tonofbricks:

But mid-grade PGX I would never resub. That Batman is the first that I've ever seen that Daniel undergraded in that range.

hmmmm.

So many previous threads bashing PGX versus CGC, yet how many times have things like this occurred? How may times has CGC also given obviously wrong grades? How many times has the "wind" whispered into someones ear that "buy this PGX graded book and there is a very good chance that CGC will grade it even or higher"?

My point is not to build up PGX, nor to denegrate CGC. My point the one I have made on several threads. Grading is not an art. It is an opinion just like balls and strikes in baseball. Sometimes "they" do not get it exactly right. Both "theys".

I am on record in past threads stating that I will not ever send more books to PGX. I am a CGC guy from now on. However, it is not because there is a great difference generally (there have been many PGX disasters and some CGC disasters), but it because CGC is the industry "standard" and accepted more by the hard core collectors. Casual collectors (if such a thing exists in large numbers), really do not care all that much. As long as it is slabbed.

Okay. Off my soapbox again.

Sweet pick up and amazing upgrade for your money. As they say. What goes around, comes around. So prepare yourself for the time when you get a PLOD in a similar exercise. :)

What book did you have that went up 3 grades?!!!? I have got to see the before and after scans if you have them, that is CRAZY!...8.5 to 9.4, what book was that?

What book did you have that went up 3 grades?!!!? I have got to see the before and after scans if you have them, that is CRAZY!...8.5 to 9.4, what book was that?

Posted before, and nothing done to the book besides cracking it out of the PGX slab and subbing to CGC:

IM15pgx9F.jpg

IronMan15cgc96.jpg

Posted before, and nothing done to the book besides cracking it out of the PGX slab and subbing to CGC:

IM15pgx9F.jpg

IronMan15cgc96.jpg

:odoh!:insane: