• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got back my PGX re-sub from CGC ................

132 posts in this topic

I would give the book a 5.0

You can grade a book from only a blurry picture of the front cover taken through a slab? That's some serious skill. :o

I take your point. (thumbs u

However, do you think it looks like a 6.5? (shrug)

I would need to see a back cover scan in order to judge the severity of the spine roll. Can't tell how much is miswrap and how much is roll.

Nicely sidestepped, counselor. :baiting:

lol

I don't guess when it comes to grading. :sumo:

That said, if a slight spine roll is the only defect of note I don't see a problem with 6.5.

Check both staples, Andy. They look loose to me. I'd give this book a 4.5 - 5.0.

You can grade a book from only a blurry picture of the front cover taken through a slab? That's some serious skill. :o

I would need to see a back cover scan in order to judge the severity of the spine roll. Can't tell how much is miswrap and how much is roll.

lol

That said, if a slight spine roll is the only defect of note I don't see a problem with 6.5.

Check both staples, Andy. They look loose to me. I'd give this book a 4.5 - 5.0.

doh!

My point was that we can't tell a book's grade from some krappy photo. Given the choice between CGC (who actually held the book) and a couple of guys on here who say it's lower based on a grainy front cover photo, I will go with the former.

Me you and Brad should get some beers next week when I am back in Chicago.

I did have a Golden Age book one time that CGC graded 1.5, so I sent it in to PGX and it came back a 3.5. So I sold it. Daniel is bad in anything below a 7.5. I think he is just throwing darts.

I know it's off topic but...

It's never stopped you before. :slapfight:

:roflmao: That slapfight graemlin kills me every time.

lol

That response only cost him 10 years of student loans. ;)

15 years. I just finished my MBA too.

^^

:applause: :applause: :applause:

It is interesting to see the PGX and CGC cases and how the difference in page quality changes between the two companies. You would think at least that is consistent.

Adventures 337 being noted by PGX as "Cream TO Off-White" and CGC noted it as "Off-White TO White." That's a head scratcher as that is two page quality differences up, isn't it?

Or the Avengers 53 going from "White" to "Off-White" - again, two PQ differences down from where it started.

lol

The staples, the roll that sticks out the top of the book, and the big bend in the llfc.

I just dont grade anything with a bad spine roll over VG+, especially if it is putting that much stress at the staples.

Congrats on getting the bump in grade, although I do agree with Pat that the rather significant spine roll should have made the grade no higher than 5.0.

Congrats on getting the bump in grade, although I do agree with Pat that the rather significant spine roll should have made the grade no higher than 5.0.

So what you are really saying is that PGX grades better than CGC? :baiting:

So what you are really saying is that PGX grades better than CGC? :baiting:

Assuming they're both using the Overstreet standard (a huge assumption), then in this case, most likely yes.

The more important issue with PGX, however, is the questionable ability for detecting and declaring restoration. Fortuntately, that Tec was found to be unrestored. (thumbs u

I know it's off topic but...

It's never stopped you before. :slapfight:

:roflmao: That slapfight graemlin kills me every time.

ME TOO!!! :roflmao:

Now you see why it was added. How can you keep fighting - and not help but laugh - when someone throws that at you?