• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller Pencils Only Scan - DD # 172 page 19

13 posts in this topic

This is a scan of a full sized photocopy of Frank Miller's pencils on Daredevel # 172 page 19 before they were inked by Klaus Janson. The published art (pencils and inks) was just sold on Heritage for a record breaking price. Congratulations to buyer and seller.

I DO NOT own the art but since I've received a few PM's requesting to see the scan, here is the link.

http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/animatedink/Miller-Pencils/?action=view&current=miller-dd-172-19-bullseye-pencils.jpg&newest=1

I did not have time to do the side by side comparison like the last Miller page from the same issue. Maybe later.

Cheers!

N

That is very cool. It looks like Janson's ink was very true to the Miller layouts for issue #172.

It would be interesting to compare the pencils on the latter issues, where Miller did primarilly rough layouts. Not sure whether any of the layouts from 185 and later have survived.

If you are referring to the Kingpin / Bullseye page, I posted a side by side comparison on these boards awhile ago.

Here is the link at my photobucket account:

http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/animatedink/Miller-Pencils/?action=view&current=ai-miller-dd-172-11-combo.jpg&newest=1

As far as later issues of Miller's run, I may have 8 x 11 photocopies of DD # 189 ("Siege" storyline). Miller was only doing thumbnails on letter sized paper at this point. The thumbnails were blown up to 11 x 17. Janson then lightboxed over the thubnails to create the pencils and inks. The copies I have may be dark and grainy, I'll have to check.

I don't have the complete Miller run, just scattered copies. Most are 11 x 17. I had the copies with me at NYCC. A few collectors were able to see them in person. They can be a bit heavy to lug around even with a backpack.

Yes I know my watermark is annoying. If there is ever a Frank Miller restrospective or exhibit at Mocca or some other museum, I'll be happy to provide scans without the watermarks. If I ever get around to scanning all the copies. lol.

Cheers!

N

Nelson,

I was referring to pg. 11 of the Original art -- the page where DD steals Kingpin's files only to discover that he's stolen newspaper which, upon turning the "evidence" into the Police, leads the Detective to ask him "What're you -- Blind?!?"

Do you have a pic to the pencils of that page??

--David

If you are referring to the Kingpin / Bullseye page, I posted a side by side comparison on these boards awhile ago.

Here is the link at my photobucket account:

http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/animatedink/Miller-Pencils/?action=view&current=ai-miller-dd-172-11-combo.jpg&newest=1

As far as later issues of Miller's run, I may have 8 x 11 photocopies of DD # 189 ("Siege" storyline). Miller was only doing thumbnails on letter sized paper at this point. The thumbnails were blown up to 11 x 17. Janson then lightboxed over the thubnails to create the pencils and inks. The copies I have may be dark and grainy, I'll have to check.

I don't have the complete Miller run, just scattered copies. Most are 11 x 17. I had the copies with me at NYCC. A few collectors were able to see them in person. They can be a bit heavy to lug around even with a backpack.

Yes I know my watermark is annoying. If there is ever a Frank Miller restrospective or exhibit at Mocca or some other museum, I'll be happy to provide scans without the watermarks. If I ever get around to scanning all the copies. lol.

Cheers!

N

Ha! I remember seeing this thread.... these are pretty cool. This one is ending on eBay tomorrow (not mine)

ai-miller-dd-172-11-combo.jpg

Nelson, thanks for sharing!

Here it is the comparation:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nD9HaRouros/TVo4xnk61GI/AAAAAAAAHsc/vbM7SLHNNWo/s1600/millerDD172pg19.jpg

Since you have so many photocopies of the pencils, and Miller's run in DD is a key point for Marvel Comics, I think that it'd be great for history's sake if you could scan them in hires and high quality all of them, so they don't fade and lose quality and they are lost forever.

Of course it'd be a thrill if we could see them, but if not, at least take care of them like John Morrow and the Kirby estate did with Kirby's photocopies of the pencils.

If you decide to publish a Frank Miller Collector to include them in tabloid format, you can count with me as a buyer... ;-)

Ferran

If you attend NYCC in the future, I'll be happy to show you the copies in person. I made the offer to several collectors in the past so a few have seen them. The quality varies as the copies were using technology from the late 1970's

I'm too busy these days but maybe someday I'll have the time to scan everything.

I THINK the seller on ebay for the 172 page is Ken from Monster Collectibles, (who is a member of these boards). Regardless, good luck to seller and bidders.

Cheers!

N.

If you attend NYCC in the future, I'll be happy to show you the copies in person. I made the offer to several collectors in the past so a few have seen them. The quality varies as the copies were using technology from the late 1970's

I'd love to see them, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to visit NYCC in a near future.

But I'm worried that the photocopies get smudged with so many trips, hence my request to scan them, although I'm aware that this would be very time consuming. Maybe you could get some help from a volunteer...