• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any good comic shops in Paris?

53 posts in this topic

I will be going to Editions Deese on Friday. Mrs. Donut and I are over here for our anniversary.

Lousy timing Dan, I'll be there tomorrow :cry:

Allan, please say "Hi!" from the wife and me (thumbs u If you don't already have it, ask for the Buscema Art Show catalog. It's mighty impressive!

And Dan, did you bring my formerly-known-as-the-Gold-Key-Box? :wishluck: Probably just a handful of Euros to ship it from Paris... hm

we may be there tomorrow and do Chartres on Friday, so we may see you then. also the other box is on the way - the three feet of snow in Virginia killed the USPS.

I will be going to Editions Deese on Friday. Mrs. Donut and I are over here for our anniversary.

Allan, please say "Hi!" from the wife and me (thumbs u If you don't already have it, ask for the Buscema Art Show catalog. It's mighty impressive!

And Dan, did you bring my formerly-known-as-the-Gold-Key-Box? :wishluck: Probably just a handful of Euros to ship it from Paris... hm

we may be there tomorrow and do Chartres on Friday, so we may see you then. also the other box is on the way - the three feet of snow in Virginia killed the USPS.

Loved Chartres! :cloud9: Have you been there before?

We did our first trip to France in 2004 (Paris, the Loire Valley, then over to Beaune for some amazing burgundian cuisine and Pinot Noirs).

We were back there again this past September for 3 weeks: Provence, Beaune again, and Paris again.

Can't believe that both times I didn't think to ask about comic shops. doh!

My France photos (starting with Paris):

btn.gifbtn_viewallimages.gif

we may be there tomorrow and do Chartres on Friday,

Been to the Musée d'Orsay yet? How'd the missus like it? :hi:

Did you notice the Origin of the World? lol

Mrs. Donut loved the Orsay. Origin of the World was interesting, to say the least. P

"Neither rain, nor snow"...........ah forget it.

my question is how are these shops in paris doing? i think of parisians (and maybe the french in general) as more willing to go out on foot, shop in a shop, etc. and are less obsessed with saving a few bucks shopping on line. It really is a lovely city, although it has been 11 years since I was there last, I'm really thinking that this summer we do France as I have relatives over there to free load off of and my 4 1/2 year old son should really meet is 3 year old [distant] cousin over there.

clearly those books on the wall are WAY more than in the U.S. ($75+ for that FF 36), as is the cover price on a new comic (2.99 euro is what, around $4?)

I guess I'm a little surprised at how much of the focus is on U.S. super hero stuff or maybe that's just the way these two shops roll. I do remember seeing some of this stuff in Paris when I visited when I was like 11 along the river Seine and such, but that was almost 30 years ago. Comics/sequential art are huge in France, way more per capita consumption than here (though maybe more with graphic novels), but I didn't think it was so much super heros and such.

Just got back from Paris...had a great day, saw the sun...which was a rare treat this day and met up with the French collectors on the board.

Plans were to have a super-quick lunch and visit as much comic book stores and art galleries as possible...

Went to Paris_Fred's shop "Editions Deesse" first...Fred decided to close his shop and go to lunch with us...which lasted nearly 2 1/2 hours and involved copious amounts of food, beer and wine...So in the end we only went to four shops and no galleries...but had a wonderful time..

Here's the obligatory crappy Iphone picture... I'm the shiny happy one, the rest are Cryptkeeper, osborn_fr and Paris_Fred

93643.jpg

Picture was taken in Fred's shop and I must say it's a true Aladdin's Cave, lots and lots of back issues, wall books, keys and original art. Just like you imagine comic shops used to look like back in the day.

We each bought the HUGE full colour John Buscema exhibition catalog and I almost put my back out carrying the thing all over Paris.

BigjohnB.jpg

All the shops we visited had their fair share of customers and trading looked to be brisk.

Prices for new comics are generally more expensive than in the US as they have to be imported across a rather large body of water and our taxes are a lot higher.

Cryptkeeper told me that his local shop in his city charges 1.3 Euro for $1.00.

So a new comic book with a $3.99 cover price costs would be €5.20 or about $7.00.

It was a really great day with you guys ! (thumbs u

i really enjoyed Fred's shop and fabulous stories he told us during lunch , Editions Deesse is a great shop to visit, it is the very last comics shop with many S.A comics all over the place .

and John BUSCEMA exhibit catalog is really a must have , 300 pages of stunning pieces of Art :o

i think it's great that there's enough of a market to put out a french edition of something like that (particularly given that most french speakers who are into u.s. comics can probably read english)

i think it's great that there's enough of a market to put out a french edition of something like that (particularly given that most french speakers who are into u.s. comics can probably read english)

If you are talking about the catalog shown in the pic it is in Spanish, Catalan & English.

If you don't already have it, ask for the Buscema Art Show catalog. It's mighty impressive!

93643.jpg

We each bought the HUGE full colour John Buscema exhibition catalog and I almost put my back out carrying the thing all over Paris.

BigjohnB.jpg

Does Fred know where to send my 20% commission? :baiting: