• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could Detective 27 one day replace Action 1 as the #1 GA book?

97 posts in this topic

Since Billy Parker owns the KC copy now, why don't we ask him if he thinks he overpaid.

Considering he couldn't get that goofy grin off of his face for a long time after acquiring it I think I can guarantee what that answer will be.

Richard I know that Billy is the owner but Crow seems to go out of his way to point out that I was wrong and over zealous when estimating the market value of MC#1's but in the next sentence he is putting words in my mouth by suggesting that maybe Billy overpaid for the KC copy? (shrug) BTW as you can see I think he has a super book, some others might come down from their mountain and disagree. :whatev:

Since Billy Parker owns the KC copy now, why don't we ask him if he thinks he overpaid.

Considering he couldn't get that goofy grin off of his face for a long time after acquiring it I think I can guarantee what that answer will be.

Richard I know that Billy is the owner but Crow seems to go out of his way to point out that I was wrong and over zealous when estimating the market value of MC#1's but in the next sentence he is putting words in my mouth by suggesting that maybe Billy overpaid for the KC copy? (shrug) BTW as you can see I think he has a super book, some others might come down from their mountain and disagree. :whatev:

billy got it for my cost, and there were at least 3 other folks ready to buy it too...so, 36K was a very strongly supported price (actually, 4 folks if you count Ritter, he had strong interest in the book)

Richard I know that Billy is the owner but Crow seems to go out of his way to point out that I was wrong and over zealous when estimating the market value of MC#1's but in the next sentence he is putting words in my mouth by suggesting that maybe Billy overpaid for the KC copy?

Absolutely not. I said that I think in the long run all three MC #1s will be just fine.

My original question was trying to ask what you think "a lot more" will be for the upcoming Action #1 and trying to suggest (not too subtly I guess, sorry) to err on the side of caution by reminding you of your last prediction.

billy got it for my cost, and there were at least 3 other folks ready to buy it too...so, 36K was a very strongly supported price (actually, 4 folks if you count Ritter, he had strong interest in the book)

:hi:

I would have taken it if BP didn't.

:hi:

I would have taken it if BP didn't.

cgcworld jim had interest, you did, the guy in NY that wanted time payments at $40K (but a year was too long, unless your name is billy parker lol )

Show me a pic again of it?

It had incredible color strike in hand. It was one of those rare books that looked much better in hand than it did in a scan.

Show me a pic again of it?

It had incredible color strike in hand. It was one of those rare books that looked much better in hand than it did in a scan.

you'll have to ask parker for that (thumbs u

Just because he`s happy with his purchase doesn`t mean that he didn`t overpay. (shrug)

Just because he`s happy with his purchase doesn`t mean that he didn`t overpay. (shrug)

my guess is he didn't overpay, IMO... as mentioned, there were at least 3, and potentially 4 other folks (5 if you count me whom originally bought) that were all ready and wanting to purchase at the price I paid/sold... I think that is pretty strong evidence that the book was "priced right" (thumbs u

my guess is he didn't overpay, IMO... as mentioned, there were at least 3, and potentially 4 other folks (5 if you count me whom originally bought) that were all ready and wanting to purchase at the price I paid/sold... I think that is pretty strong evidence that the book was "priced right" (thumbs u

Sorry, wasn`t talking about that particular purchase, just making the point that just because a buyer was happy with his purchase doesn`t mean he didn`t overpay. I`ve way overpaid on lots of books that I was absolutely delighted with.

Sorry, wasn`t talking about that particular purchase, just making the point that just because a buyer was happy with his purchase doesn`t mean he didn`t overpay. I`ve way overpaid on lots of books that I was absolutely delighted with.

That brings around an interesting question.

People often say a book is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Consequently, when someone pays for a book there is critisicm as to whether the person overpaid or not.

How do you evaluate what a book is worth (it's value) if not by the purchase price of a book?

A better and more to the point way of asking is how do you quantify what "overpaying" is if the person what happy with the purchase?

R.

lord knows I have OVERPAID on a ton of books that at the time I was happy with (until I went to sell them lol )

Consequently, when someone pays for a book there is critisicm as to whether the person overpaid or not.

How do you evaluate what a book is worth (it's value) if not by the purchase price of a book?

A better and more to the point way of asking is how do you quantify what "overpaying" is if the person what happy with the purchase?

R.

we quantify "overpaying" based on previous sells...doesn't mean that the buyer isn't happy or satisfied with the price, and doesn't mean the buyer doesn't feel the book is "worth" that price, but as a frame of reference, we only have past sales to compare to...hence, if 3 copies sell in the $5000 range and all of a sudden someone pays $10K for a comparable copy, then irregardless of whether that person feels good or not, they "overpaid" relatively speaking

R.

we quantify "overpaying" based on previous sells...doesn't mean that the buyer isn't happy or satisfied with the price, and doesn't mean the buyer doesn't feel the book is "worth" that price, but as a frame of reference, we only have past sales to compare to...hence, if 3 copies sell in the $5000 range and all of a sudden someone pays $10K for a comparable copy, then irregardless of whether that person feels good or not, they "overpaid" relatively speaking

I have an example.

FF #1 in 6.5 sold for about $6600 in 2007.

Then there was a sale for about $13K shortly after.

The following year, FF #1 sales continued to stay in the $11K - $17K range and never dropped back down to $7K

In this case previous sales data had little bearing.

Did the buyer over pay for the $13K copy?

The buyer happends to be a forumite.

R.

If there is no chance in the foreseeable future that I`d be able to sell it for anything remotely close to what I paid, then I`d say I`ve overpaid.

If there is no chance in the foreseeable future that I`d be able to sell it for anything remotely close to what I paid, then I`d say I`ve overpaid.

Yup. Might be better to say a book is worth what TWO people are willing to pay.

R.

I have an example.

FF #1 in 6.5 sold for about $6600 in 2007.

Then there was a sale for about $13K shortly after.

The following year, FF #1 sales continued to stay in the $11K - $17K range and never dropped back down to $7K

In this case previous sales data had little bearing.

Did the buyer over pay for the $13K copy?

The buyer happends to be a forumite.

R.

depends on the time frame you are referencing...at the time, yes, he overpaid sustantially relative to comparable copies.... the fact that FMV has caught up a year later, doesn't change that fact (thumbs u