• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is Batman 1 overtaking Marvel Comics 1 in terms of value, significance....

111 posts in this topic

Well Tec #1 certainly guides for more, and I'm pretty sure would bring more in equal grades everyday of the week. For wowness factor, I'm with you - give me a Tec #1.

For long term investment, Bat #1 will probably turn out to be the better book.

I think you'd be surprised how comparable some recent sales have been between the two books. Bat 1 has certainly closed the gap on a lot of key books of late, Tec 1 no exception.

And you are probably right, Bat 1 would be the better "investment" going forward. But oh... how I would love a nice, clean, mid-grade copy of Tec 1 completely unrestored with decent pages. :cloud9:

I'll take one, too!

Alright, this is gonna surprise Surfer - but I think I would take the Marvel #1 over a Bat #1 also. Despite the fact that I really love Bat #1 and think it's certainly a top five book.

Even though there have been a plethora of Marvel #1s available lately, it's easily 3-4x as rare as Bat #1 and just doesn't become available as often.

Will it be a better investment down the road? Don't know, but signs certainly show that Batman has been gaining at a faster pace for a longer period of time.

Just how many Joker stories were there in the GA? I dont think it was all that many actually, right?

Batman #1 1st Appearance, vs the Batman The Dark Knight Archives #1, The Great Comics Book Heroes (Feiffer), Batman from the 30's to the 70's, Famous First Editions F-5, The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told

Batman #2 vs the Batman The Dark Knight Archives #1

Detective #45 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #1

Batman #4 vs the Batman The Dark Knight Archives #1, Limited Collector's Edition #C-25, The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told

Batman #5 vs the Batman The Dark Knight Archives #2

Batman #7 vs the Batman The Dark Knight Archives #2

Batman #8 vs the Batman The Dark Knight Archives #2

Detective #60 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #2

Batman #9 vs the Batman The Dark Knight Archives #3

Detective #62 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #2

Detective #64 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #2

Batman #11 vs the Batman The Dark Knight Archives #3

Batman #12 vs the Batman The Dark Knight Archives #3

Batman #13 vs the Batman

Detective #69 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #2

Detective #71 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #3

Batman #16 vs the Batman

Detective #76 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #3

Batman #19 vs the Batman

Batman #20 vs the Batman

Detective #85 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #4

Batman #23 vs the Batman

Detective #91 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #4

Batman #25 vs the Batman

Batman #28 vs the Batman

Detective #102 vs the Batman The Batman Archives #4

World's Finest #19

Batman #32 vs the Batman

Detective #109 vs the Batman

Detective #114 vs the Batman

Batman #37 vs the Batman

Detective #118 vs the Batman

Batman #40 vs the Batman

Detective #124 vs the Batman

Detective #128 vs the Batman

Batman #44 vs the Batman

Batman #46 vs the Batman

Detective #137 vs the Batman

Detective #138 vs the Batman

Batman #52 vs the Batman

Batman #53 vs the Batman

Detective #149 vs the Batman

Batman #55 vs the Batman

Batman #57 vs the Batman

Batman #59 vs the Batman

World's Finest #48

Detective #168 Origin, as the Red Hood, vs the Batman Limited Collector's Edition #C-39, The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told

Batman #63 vs the Batman

Batman #66 vs the Batman

Batman #67 vs the Batman Batman from the 30's to the 70's

Detective #180 vs the Batman

World's Finest #59

Batman #73 vs the Batman Batman #176, The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told

World's Finest #61 vs Batman The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told

Batman #74 vs the Batman

Detective #193 Origin, as the Red Hood, vs the Batman

Batman #80 vs the Batman

Batman #85 vs the Batman Batman #182, Batman vs. the Joker

Batman #86 vs the Batman Batman vs. the Joker

Batman #87 vs the Batman

Batman #97 vs the Batman

World's Finest #88 w/ Lex Luthor, vs Superman and Batman The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told

wow thats a lot of Joker stories! Ive counted quite a few covers, but never realized he had so many other stories, in almost every early Batman issue?

But is it accurate? I noticed this typo:

Detective #193 Origin, as the Red Hood, vs the Batman

The MMC1.. A name on the cover, and the number 1.

Yes... THE name on the cover and the number 1. And for me, that in and of itself makes it a huge book that cannot be understated. But then again, you are talking to a guy who would take a Tec 1 over a Bat 1 in the same grade any day of the week. (including Sundays of course) So take it with a grain of salt. :grin:

IF(and this is a big IF) I had the choice to pick up any GA books I wanted, money aside. I would take Action 1, Tec 27, Cap1, Bats 1, AA16, and the first Sub Mariner before ANY of the other books. And I would take a Tec 31 or 38 over a Tec 1 or MMC1.

Personal preference is the reason we collect what we do. I dont collect for value, I collect what I like.

Just for fuel to the discussion...

From time to time I display big dollar books in the store, either from my collection or things that I have for sale. I don't generally leave expensive stuff out due to the theft concerns. Anyway...

I have displayed Marvel #1 on many occasions. It gets some response, but usually I have to explain what it is and why it is important before answering the inevitable question "what's it worth?" Most folks just aren't aware of what it is. And this is in a comic book store! In fact I would bet that if I had a break-in the Spider-man #1 would be stolen before the Marvel 1 (though I really don't want that theory proven either way :wishluck: ).

But right now I have this for sale...

batman1-35c.jpg

It is on display. It gets way, way more response. And just about everyone knows exactly what it is.

From time to time I display big dollar books in the store, either from my collection or things that I have for sale. I don't generally leave expensive stuff out due to the theft concerns. Anyway...

I have displayed Marvel #1 on many occasions. It gets some response, but usually I have to explain what it is and why it is important before answering the inevitable question "what's it worth?" Most folks just aren't aware of what it is. And this is in a comic book store! In fact I would bet that if I had a break-in the Spider-man #1 would be stolen before the Marvel 1 (though I really don't want that theory proven either way :wishluck: ).

batman1-35c.jpg

It is on display. It gets way, way more response. And just about everyone knows exactly what it is.

so, if I am reading this correctly, what you are saying is that you don't like the fact that Cin took the Astros to the shed this past weekend

so, if I am reading this correctly, what you are saying is that you don't like the fact that Cin took the Astros to the shed this past weekend

It is time for a fire sale! And a new manager! :frustrated:

For the 'Stros to get swept by Cincy means they REALLY suck :P

the entire Central Div seems to be mediocre, at best (at least so far)

batman1-35c.jpg

One of my former copies :cloud9:

Guys guys... if you are talking baseball, I will only say this for all to remember in October "27"!!!!!!!!

batman1-35c.jpg

why on earth did you sell it Bill??? This is my goal in 2010 :acclaim: but for now Bravo!

Hey, I resent that! (Don't deny it though.)

Interesting discussion/debate. To me it's a very tough call. I'm not a big fan of GA Marvel/Timely (don't have anything against them, just ignorant of the whole thing), but still, we're talking the first Marvel book, and that's huge. Historical significance is very important to me. So despite being a DC fan, and despite the relative mediocrity of Submariner and the Human Torch as characters, I'd have to say that if given the choice I'd probably take a MC1 over Batman 1.

batman1-35c.jpg

That's a great looking 3.5. (worship)