• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this book restored?

27 posts in this topic

I'm still developing my restoration radar, but have a gut feeling this book has been trimmed on the right side ... or it's a production flaw with a miswrapped cover.

Any opinions would be appreciated to help me fine-tune my eye. T he book is a CGG graded one, by the way.

The book.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think it was trimmed but becareful with this book.

If you are going to break it out and use it as a nice reader (what I do wink.gif ), there are some problems you may not like.

Tan (not cream but tan) insides. I hate that.

Then there is the date/price stamp (or hand written) above the Spiderman head. Looks like someone tried to erase it some with poor results... frown.gif

And that damage along the top...

If you are looking for a "keeper" mid-grade book then I'd wait for a nicer one.

If you just want a filler until a nice FVF shows up then OK.

The exposed portion of pages on the right side, or what looks like it. Seems the cover doesn't go as far to the right as it should to lay comletely over the pages. That, combined with seeing the "M" and "C" and "G" in the Marvel Comic Group under the torch in the upper left doesn't indicate any miswrap.

I definitely could be wrong ... I'm still new at this and being cautious given the warnings of scammers I see on the boards here.

Maybe it's the 'halo effect' ... what is that?

The exposed portion of pages on the right side, or what looks like it. Seems the cover doesn't go as far to the right as it should to lay comletely over the pages.

That's a distinct possibility, although it's only circumstancial evidence as some untrimmed books also exhibit exposed pages. The fact that the upper-right exposed area next to the comics code symbol looks almost curved, with the exposure being slightly more there than at the very top is much more suspicious.

That, combined with seeing the "M" and "C" and "G" in the Marvel Comic Group under the torch in the upper left doesn't indicate any miswrap.

Can't really tell based on the "lay" of cover graphics, the margin of error for setting the cover wasn't tight enough back then to use that as an indication of trimming

Maybe it's the 'halo effect' ... what is that?

I'm not sure what he meant by that...I'm used to it as a way to describe the appearance of a transfer stain.

That fact that the pages are exposed (sticking out a little) along the right is actually a good sign, like a little over-hang, that there wasn't trimming. Most amateur trimmers don't take the cover off before trimming and trim the pages with the cover. Hence the cover and the pages end up being dead even along the right side.

A normal book should have the page edges along the right in a triangle shape with the inner wraps sticking out the more and more coming to a point with the centerfold wrap. Often these will stick out just a little past the cover.

I hope I'm making sense... tongue.gif

I don't want to think too hard on a Holiday.

'halo effect'

Tan to off-white pages

That means the pages are off-white with tanning around the outside perimeter. This will usually affect the cover as well giving a "tanish halo" around the perimeter of the book.

I hate that... tonofbricks.gif

That fact that the pages are exposed (sticking out a little) along the right is actually a good sign, like a little over-hang, that there wasn't trimming. Most amateur trimmers don't take the cover off before trimming and trim the pages with the cover. Hence the cover and the pages end up being dead even along the right side.

That's pro trimming, but doesn't what you describe usually denote amateur work?

As in laying the book flat, taking a paper cutter to it, and then when folded back, the inside pages kind of fan outside.

Based upon many of the trims I've seen, I vehemently disagree. I'm sure this was more common back in the 1960s or 1970s before the market decided it didn't like trimming and it seemed like an innocent procedure, but I would argue that over the past decade or two, many restorers have taken to trimming the cover only--or trimming both and then trimming the cover a little more so that it "looks" like the interior is "naturally" sticking out a little--although there's definitely still a big mix of both types out there. The bottom edge probably gets hacked along with the pages more often than the right or top since fewer people look there.

Here's an informal way to survey it--go to Heritage, search on the word "trimmed," and then look at the CGC label to see if it says they trimmed the cover only or the entire edge. I could be wrong, that would be an interesting analysis and I'll do it if nobody else does (I can't get away from ducking "Charlie's Angels 2" much longer grin.gif ).

That means the pages are off-white with tanning around the outside perimeter. This will usually affect the cover as well giving a "tanish halo" around the perimeter of the book.

So what did he mean that had to do with detecting a trim?

That's pro trimming, but doesn't what you describe usually denote amateur work?

As in laying the book flat, taking a paper cutter to it, and then when folded back, the inside pages kind of fan outside.

Maybe I got it backwards... foreheadslap.gif

I repeat:

I don't want to think too hard on a Holiday.

Doesn't look trimmed. The biggest concern right now is all the restored key books Ckeys sold over the last few years that will now be sent ot CGG for grading. I wouldn't touch a CGG book right now unless they are providing restoration services.

I've got a stack of Mage #1s that I bought from Mile High about 15-16 years ago. They were NM/M except for the front edge of the cover was cut about 3/16" shorter than the interior pages. The back cover is even with the interior pages, just the front is shorter on the edge that opens,. After seeing that, I'm always wondering how anyone can detect a trimmed book from a scan, because some goofy thinks can obviously happen at the printers.

Doesn't look trimmed. The biggest concern right now is all the restored key books Ckeys sold over the last few years that will now be sent ot CGG for grading. I wouldn't touch a CGG book right now unless they are providing restoration services.

That is a GREAT point!

Then there is the date/price stamp (or hand written) above the Spiderman head. Looks like someone tried to erase it some with poor results...

Yeah. Looks like the book was priced at a dollar with a wax pencil nd someone tried removing it.

Based on the scan it doesn;t look trimmed, just like a good example of the QC of the day and those less than well maintained cutters.