• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this book restored?

27 posts in this topic

This is from the cgg web site

December 29th

We are now grading Golden Age & Platinum Age books. The width limit of our new inner holder is 7 3/8". Starting January 7th we begin grading books with restoration.

http://www.comicgradinggroup.com/news.htm

OUR GUARANTEE

The team at (CGGroup), The Comic Grading Group are absolutely committed to offering the impartial, expert grading of comic books with the utmost integrity and professionalism. We offer the absolute best holder possible, the best service along with the best prices, and our guaranteed commitment to our customers.

The CGGroup graders understanding of and commitment to the CGGroup Grading Standards allow for consistent accuracy for every book graded by the CGGroup Grading Team. Each book goes through the full grading process.

Our Grading Team consists of three professional graders, the 1st is our pre-grader, 2nd our restoration professional and primary grader, 3rd our senior & final grader. The CGGroup Grading Team has more than 50 years of experience in many areas of the comic book industry.

Currently, CGG will not slab books that have been restored unless they have color touch. Then they'll slab it with a notation stating that. But I do wish they would have a different color holder for their restored books.

I sent about 120 books into them. 2 got rejected and didn't get slabbed because they were trimmed. It was an obvious trim too, but I had been grading about 500 books out of a collection in order to decide which ones to send in and I didn't check for trimming at all.

There are some misconceptions about CGG, I think. So post any questions that you like and I'll try to answer from my own experiences with them.

Brent

Currently, CGG will not slab books that have been restored unless they have color touch. Then they'll slab it with a notation stating that. But I do wish they would have a different color holder for their restored books.

There are some misconceptions about CGG, I think. So post any questions that you like and I'll try to answer from my own experiences with them.

I sent a few moderns to CGG to see the new hard case... I should have them back in a week or two. I've purchased several CGG books and IMO, their grading is consistant with CGC. I realize this is the CGC board, and CGC has plenty of supporters here (including me), but for the price and turnaround time, I'm willing to sample CGG's services. smile.gif

When the apparent grade has NOT been changed by minor restoration (like tiny color touch or glue), I prefer that they use the same color label and simply note the restoration. I think it's Draconian that midgrade books with pinhead size color touches (that shouldn't affect that grade level) get a purple label... and put in the same category with books that have been substantially reconstructed. sign-rantpost.gif

Ok... unpopular opinion I know. Star rating to drop. stooges.gifinsane.gif

I just fear that there's books running around with CGG Universal labels that have undisclosed restoration. Especially after that whole Avengers 4 fiasco.

I think FF still hasn't gotten an answer to his question yet either. I think he wanted to know if it's only 1 person that looks at the books for the grades.

Brian

I think FF still hasn't gotten an answer to his question yet either. I think he wanted to know if it's only 1 person that looks at the books for the grades.

I did get an answer--3 people look at every book. It's on their web site, but I figured it would be under the "CGG Services" link; turns out it was somewhere else, under the last link in their navigation menu titled "What CGGroup Offers". Here's a link:

http://www.comicgradinggroup.com/whatcggroupoffers.htm

Didn't there used to be a little page with bios of the graders?

Yea that was there back before they changed the site after we complained here about how bad it looked. I don't think it's still there.