• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman #298-324

16 posts in this topic

I know this thread belongs in the Marketplace (and it's there too!) but since it is related to Modern books I have posted it here too

I own Amazing Spider-man #298-324 solid. I bought all of them new off the rack. From the day I bought them I put them in Mylars and sealed the mylars, sealing the top of the mylars with tape. They are still sealed in there as of today!

I sent the #298 and #300 to CGC two months ago. The #298 got 9.8 White and the #300 got 9.6 White. .

I am going to CGC the rest of these unless I can sell the set here. Every issue has WHITE pages I am looking for a group offer on the raw issues. I am grading them super-conservative. If I think CGC will give it a 9.6 or 9.8 I have listed 9.6...and so on.

Amazing Spiderman

298 CGC 9.8 $200

299 9.0

300 CGC 9.6 $200

301 9.6

302 9.6

303 9.6

304 9.8

305 9.8

306 9.4

307 9.8

308 9.8

309 9.8

310 9.4

311 9.8

312 9.4

313 9.8

314 9.8

315 9.4

316 9.8

317 9.8

318 9.8

319 9.4

320 9.4

321 9.6

322 9.9

323 9.6

324 9.6

In NM the 25 raw issues of ASM 299 & 301-324 guide for only $310. Not looking for 4 times guide here, just reasonable offers based on the above grades for the set.

Timely

So, you want people to pay (near) slabbed prices for raw books? Is this the new market practice?

So now, you pay multiples for raw books because they have the POTENTIAL to grade out at "X"... then the next guy gets them slabbed and tells the NEXT guy to pay multiples of his price that he paid and on and on and on? The values of these books will grow exponentially! WOO HAH! We're rich! We're rich!!

So Major chaos, can I assume your offer for the set is $0.00?

BTW, I was just told 9.8 ASM#301's are going for the same price as the #300's in 9.8, which is $700! Apparently they are tougher to get in high grade and are on the rise. After recheckinging my copy of #301 it has as chance at 9.8, but I graded it 9.6 just to be safe.

Again...what's your offer? Are you up to a dollar yet?!? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Don't be a hater Troll Boy. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Timely

So Major Chaos, can I assume your offer for the set is $0.00?

BTW, I was just told 9.8 ASM#301's are going for the same price as the #300's in 9.8, which is $700! Apparently they are tougher to get in high grade and are on the rise. After recheckinging my copy of #301 it has as chance at 9.8, but I graded it 9.6 just to be safe.

Again...what's your offer? Are you up to a dollar yet?!? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Timely

Well, I hate to gamble... but okay, $1. flowerred.gif

Khaos:

actually the new trend IS to price many raw books near CGC prices... a practice which I despise, but unfortunately have to accept in many circumstances for 9.0 and better books.

I wish it were all a joke, but it's not.

A premium on McFarlane Spideys? I wouldn't pay high for them because they're so prevelant in 9.4 and better, and who really needs a 9.6 anything in a modern?

However, 9.8 298 and a 9.6 300 are really sweet if you're into the getting high grade moderns... and from what I hear, 300 can be a tough book above 9.4 and there's a strong base for it.

However, 9.8 298 and a 9.6 300 are really sweet if you're into the getting high grade moderns... and from what I hear, 300 can be a tough book above 9.4 and there's a strong base for it.

I agree, but we're talking about the rest of them. And those issues in the 320's are tough to give away, even in CGC 9.6.

Oh, no argument here JC, the books outside of 298 and 300, and maybe 312, are basically commons. There was a point in 98 or 99 when I bought all of mine from dealers for $1 each... so... 9.6 or 9.8... who cares... that puts too high a premium on the number... but not everyone feels like I do so this might be a really nice set for someone.

Great books - other than the 300 really, you will not find many forumites here who will buy them at a premium. Mostly because 1) we have already hoarded NM and higher copies when they first came off the stands ( I bought 5 at $1/50 cover then as a 14 yr old, I've bought around 25 raw on ebay and at cons since 1999, and slabbed about 10 copies myself, ranging from 8.5 - 9.8 )

The rest of the McFarlane run is so plentiful in "NM" and available at $5 or less in bulk if you happen upon the right lot.

The only way I believe you will see the premium price paid is if you do go thru the trouble of getting them slabbed and eliminating the guesswork and get the official CGC opinion on condition. That is the risk with these Moderns and especially this ASM McFarlane run from 298-328. It defies all logic that age-old collectors (forumites) know... that and we are also made up of flippers and cheap collectors who know where to go for the best "bottom feeder" deal.

Honestly if you put this lot up on ebay without the 2 slabbed, any joe shmoe may get a $2 per book offer, around $50? With your reputation as a tight grader and known to most collectors out there, you may get $100 from a forumite or informed collector. If you are targetting a possible whale newbie who for some reason wants the McFarlane run right now and is NEW to comic collecting and has picked up a Wizard pormoting Spidey 2, you will get your OS Guide expected price. But IMO, all the stars and planets have to align just right for this one to happen smile.gif Good luck.

I tried slabbing the entire run as well and other than the first 3 issues I barely broke even with cost on the rest, with grades that ran the gamut from 9.0 - 9.8... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have been looking on ebay. Most of the common issues sell slabbed for $29.99-$50 each. Since most are 9.8 and a few 9.9 possibilities I have decided to get them slabbed. Even at the worst case scenerio: 24 books X $30 each = $720. No way I will sell the set on ebay for 50-100 bucks, I'd rather just keep them.

Timely

IEven at the worst case scenerio: 24 books X $30 each = $720.

But remember to subract the $15 per issue for CGC ($12 grading + shipping), EBay fees, Paypal fees, etc.

If you get a majority of the 301-315 issues in CGC 9.8 or higher, it was a good gamble, otherwise...

If it has a shot at a 9.8 then submit the damn thing. A 9.6 goes for $35 rofl 27_laughing.gif

As a part-time "flipper" I have bought 5-10 complete 298-328 sets (sometimes missing a #300) and always advertised in the NM range. Of course often some of the books grade down to a VF but I have never paid more than about $5 each when considering the entire lot. Even as single issues you can see 301-328 sell (or NOT sell) for $3.00 each advertised in NM. Although I did sell a slabbed #315 in 9.8 white for $175. Why? You tell me. I have not a clue. ----Sid

when i first started getting my 9.8 run together all of these macfarlane issues in 9.8 were going around $75-$200.i remember i actally paid $220 for #325 9.8 that was the only 9.8 for a long time but there is probably plenty of them now. 893frustrated.gif

paid $220 for #325 9.8 that was the only 9.8 for a long time but there is probably plenty of them now.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Isn't that the issue w/ the Mcfarlane cover and Larsen Interiors? Can't remember the exact issue, but it was in that arc!

Chris