• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Astronomical Sales for Comic Keys

51 posts in this topic

This book has been very much in demand for a long time. Its not like someone has a 9.8 that they have been waiting to spring on the market. This book would have brought 10,000 for the past couple of years. For most people, that would have been enough to draw the book out.

Though I agree with all of that, this sale was still anomaly. If no more copies pop up and this book goes back up for sale again as the only 9.8 copy, it almost certainly will not sell for $24K. The $10K you mentioned--probably so, and I wouldn't be shocked by a price all the way up to $15K. But $24K? That puts it at the same sales level as Giant-Size X-Men #1, X-Men #94, and Green Lantern #76, and there isn't enough demand to keep it at that level.

This sale is from new comics money that's either ignorant or is so rich they don't care about buys that don't exceed $30K or so. There have been a bunch of anomalous sales like it recently, such as the JIM #124 CGC 9.6 that just went for $3500--just absolutely ignorant and insane.

You are wrong. This book did NOT go to new comics money. It went to a grade collector. One who has been in the hobby a long time.

When you consider that there are 22 copies of Giant Size X-Men #1 in 9.8, that is a bad analogy. There are NO copies of GL #76 in 9.8 and only 1 9.6. If there were a copy of GL #76 to surface, the book would bring 50,000. Is this crazy? Yes. Does that mean it won't happen. Not at all.

they would definitely have to be white border beauties with that all black spine. God it pisses me off how cgc rewards books like that.

I remember purposefully looking for those type of books back in the 70s, rather than the well-centered ones, because they hid the wear better. ;)

And I remember (albeit in the 1980s) shining those white spines in the light and clearly seeing stresses there and thinking that the background color upon which the stress lands should not affect grade. Silly me rantrant

To play devils advocate here, you mention there are 22 copies GS X-men 1 in 9.8. FF 112 is an important book and seemingly hard to get in grade due to the black cover, but GS X-men 1 is a true key. Meaningly, would this not bring more copies out of hiding, hence the higher number of high grades. The 24 G may bring out many more copies of FF 112 for this semi-important bronze age issue. Don't get me wrong I'm an FF fan all the way and love this issue/cover. But 24 G does not seem right for this issue even if you are a 9.8 collector!

I guess that would make ASM 120 an important book too, then. (shrug)

To play devils advocate here, you mention there are 22 copies GS X-men 1 in 9.8. FF 112 is an important book and seemingly hard to get in grade due to the black cover, but GS X-men 1 is a true key. Meaningly, would this not bring more copies out of hiding, hence the higher number of high grades. The 24 G may bring out many more copies of FF 112 for this semi-important bronze age issue. Don't get me wrong I'm an FF fan all the way and love this issue/cover. But 24 G does not seem right for this issue even if you are a 9.8 collector!

Wasn't GS X-Men 1 part of Chuck's MH 2 warehouse find?

Why is FF 112 important?

Classic cover. Off the top of my head I'd say its the best cover between 100-200. Only one or two of the surfer covers would even come close so far as I can recall. Pretty good story too and tough in hg obviously. And its a classic in a line of hulk vs thing battles. Its got a lot going for it, just not 24k worth.

ASM 120.. pft! (tsk)

Besides, your comment implies that a book has to be important to get a big price... and that's been shown over and over again to no longer be necessary in a cgc 9.8 world

Why is FF 112 important?

Classic cover. Off the top of my head I'd say its the best cover between 100-200. Pretty good story too and tough in hg obviously. And its a classic in a line of hulk vs thing battles. Its got a lot going for it, just not 24k worth.

ASM 120.. pft! (tsk)

ASM 120 has a MUCH better cover, and I have to assume the story is much better as well, since ASM rules and FF drools.

ASM120Cover.jpg

:cloud9:

Why is FF 112 important?

Classic cover. Off the top of my head I'd say its the best cover between 100-200. Pretty good story too and tough in hg obviously. And its a classic in a line of hulk vs thing battles. Its got a lot going for it, just not 24k worth.

ASM 120.. pft! (tsk)

ASM 120 has a MUCH better cover, and I have to assume the story is much better as well, since ASM rules and FF drools.

ASM120Cover.jpg

:cloud9:

This cover is nowhere near as good as FF 112 which is an all-time classic.

You couldn't be more wrong. Anything with Spidey on it from the SA and BA is, by default, a classic. Trust me, I'm the smartest guy I know.

You couldn't be more wrong. Anything with Spidey on it from the SA and BA is, by default, a classic. Trust me, I'm the smartest guy I know.

lol

I am huge ASM fan of course, but the FF 112 cover is much better than either of my ASM 119 or 120, but I like all 3.

20090522122405274_0002.jpg

hm

This just reminded me that I need to update my registry with like 10 ASM's.

Forgot all about it.

Talk like that is liable to get your ASM fanboy membership revoked. (tsk)

Besides, your comment implies that a book has to be important to get a big price... and that's been shown over and over again to no longer be necessary in a cgc 9.8 world

Which comment? I was merely asking why FF 112 was important; I owned a CGC 9.2 years ago (think I sold it to FT), but I've never read it.

I follow ASM sales, so I'm well aware that a book doesn't have to be key to fetch a huge price. ASM 44 in 9.6 for 10K anyone? :insane: