• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DIRE CIRCUMSTANCES: More Fun #56 CGC 8.0 O/W - SCARCE - CLOSED

103 posts in this topic

Ok, dire circumstances have forced me to part with this awesome book which I have owned for 4 1/2 years. :tonofbricks: Given that I am completing the entire More Fun run of 127 issues, obviously this is a painful sacrifice for me!!! :o But it is one that MUST be made! :makepoint:

This is going to be a very short term sale so if you are interested please touch base with me ASAP.

Good luck trying to find another copy of parallel or better quality. This book consistently sells for over guide.

This is how Heritage described the book in a past auction:

More Fun Comics #56 (DC, 1940) This is one of the most valuable issues of this title's run, and it's scarce one as well (a Gerber "8"). It's got the first cover appearance of Dr. Fate (his second appearance overall). The Howard Sherman cover showing Dr. Fate (a future Justice Society member) is called "classic" by Overstreet. The issue also tells the second half of Dr. Fate's origin. Also, contrary to what some books will tell you, Congo Bill made his first appearance in this very issue, which pre-dates his later Action Comics appearances. And of course, there's an early Spectre appearance with art by Bernard Baily.

Overstreet 2009 VF 8.0 value = $5,602; VF/NM 9.0 value = $9,801; NM- 9.2 value = $14,000. CGC census 5/09: 1 in 8.0, 1 in 9.0, 1 in 9.2.

The next copy after the 8.0 is a 6.0. Having been searching for More Fun books for 5 years now I can tell you that this issue is virtually impossible to find in any condition. A search through www.comicseeker.com, which covers major dealers (Ebay, ComicConnect, Collectors Assemble, Bedrock City Comics, ComicLink, Superworld, Metropolis, Quality Comix, Pedigree Comics, MyComicShop, High Grade Comics, Harley Yee, Gary Dolgoff, Heritage, Fantasy Comics, Four Color Comics, Comic Vendor) revealed ZERO copies for sale.

The few sales that I know of show this book jumping all over the place and with strong sales.

In July 2002, it sold for a whopping $14,950.00 when the guide didn't list a value for 8.0 but it was roughly $3,000. Thus, it sold for nearly 5x guide!!!!

In November 2003 it took a hit, compared to the previous sale, but still sold strong at $8,050 when guide was $3,753. This was 2.14x guide.

I purchased the book in February 2005 for $9,000 when guide was $4,102. This was 2.19x guide.

The CGC 9.0 was last seen in 2005 and I have no idea where it is now. This CGC 8.0 is the BEST copy available and likely will be for a very long time. I assure you of that (though not in the legal sense!).

I am asking $12,500.00, which is 2.23x guide. First :takeit: takes it home with free shipping/insurance worldwide.

If you want to make an offer, including suggesting potential payment terms, by all means feel free to do so. I will consider all reasonable offers (including partial cash/trade). :gossip: I can be reached via PM or call my cell at 202-498-0011.

Take advantage of my situation. This book is not only a beauty and a rare collectors item, it is also an excellent investment opportunity. :banana:

And, simply because I really love this new icon, buy it now!!! :slapfight:

Awesome book Mark. Hopefully the dire circumstances are only because you snagged the Church copy. :wishluck:

hm

Mark, I can't spell it, but ...umm...you don't want to "jinx" yourself...so hope it's a joke and you'd better be knocking on wood right now... :makepoint:

Awesome book Mark. Hopefully the dire circumstances are only because you snagged the Church copy. :wishluck:

hm

Mark, I can't spell it, but ...umm...you don't want to "jinx" yourself...so hope it's a joke and you'd better be knocking on wood right now... :makepoint:

I think I only jinx myself if I don't raise the cash, but even then that doesn't lose me the book, just gains me the possibility of a divorce. :grin:

Fair trade? (shrug):slapfight: (I really love these little guys!)

I would buy it, but the case is cracked, so I'll have to pass. :banana:

I must be dropping these damn things b/c a bunch of the books I posted tonight seem to have cracks. doh!

Maybe they cracked under cross examination. meh