• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DIRE CIRCUMSTANCES: More Fun #56 CGC 8.0 O/W - SCARCE - CLOSED

103 posts in this topic

Wow, a buyer can report a sale if he is an authorized GPA dealer. Who knew?

I will now eat crow...sorry Mark.

Fascinating. What an excellent way to protect one's bottom... line. hm

I don't see what the issue is with reporting a purchase rather than a sale. The entire purpose of GPA is to provide as much information to a potential seller/buyer in the future about prior sales transactions. I report data to GPA on sales I make that enabled me to earn a profit as well as where I took a loss. And I also report purchases.

Why would anyone want GPA to merely obtain selected sales data when only the seller deems it important enough to relay? (shrug)

My permission is granted to have this discussion in my sales thread. :slapfight: (only because I love these little guys, otherwise :popcorn: )

Do you report all the books you buy or only just selected ones that would help the bottom line out?

I am going to presume, safely I imagine, that your condescending little "silence is deafening" comment is directed at me in light of your question above.

Do you have a life? Or do you just spend it all day on a comic book message website waiting for people to answer your slanted questions?

I have a family. I spend every weekend I can with them. Today, as it turns out, I had to fly half-way across the country for business (you do know business, right?), and I've been in meetings until now.

My apologies if I'm not on your schedule. meh

But to answer your question: I have probably reported over 90% of the CGC books I have purchased to GPA in the last few years. And I use that percentage only because I am not entirely positive I did report every single one (and I know I haven't reported some books I purchased in the last few months b/c I haven't gotten to it yet, such as from CL), nor do I recall exactly when I started reporting and I don't want to be called a liar simply because my memory is unclear or I am not timely. A high percentage of the CGC books I purchase are from auctions that are already directly reported.

Whatever my percentage, I'd lay odds I report more purchases to GPA than most other dealers, if they even do at all (and I don't just know offhand if they do).

P.S. Unless you respond tonight with a pithy retort, I won't be online until late Monday evening as I'm here for meetings on enhancing counter-terrorism operations to make the US safer. What will you be doing on Monday, besides posting on the CGC boards? :hi:

Speaking of condescending, how did the NOE episode go for you? The part where you asked me if I have a life is easily reflected in your actions on that front.

I guess you just tried to let the hubbub you caused over that die and now you are back to posting like nothing happened.

What will I be doing? Oh hell, nothing even as close as the horn tooting and self promoting that you are so famous for. \(worship\)

Get a clue Zaid. You cant buy yourself importance in the hobby that you so want. You bought your OS advisors position, or more like brow-beat your way into it. You were instrumental in starting an organization that you have infected like gangrene and have pretty much destroyed with your petty deeds from about a month ago.

Heck, even people in your own organization are beginning to distance themselves from you.

I am a nobody and I like it. I dont toot my own horn about what I am or am not doing or any of the other tripe you spew about how important you are.

But back to the point:

If you havent reported all of the purchases, you are making the data less valuable. If you are waiting to "get around" to reporting it, then you again are distorting the data and making the entire GPA price collecting system less reliable.

In my opinion, which is obviously less important than yours, only the seller should be reporting. I think the chance for monkey business and skulduggery are too great. Especially when the reporting parties have a vested interest in their own bottom line.

:o :o

rantrant

It seems to me that there's alot of hostility around these boards. It's kind of krappy if you ask me. I haven't been to a con in 20 years and have never met a single board member. I'm beginning to wonder if that's necessarily a bad thing. And that's not to say anything negative about Arex or Mark. I don't know either of them personally. It's just kind of a bummer to see this stuff constantly. It's enough to make a person want to simply collect books and avoid getting to know anybody. :(

ps: I will say that I have dealt via pm with quite a few board members and people have been great. So maybe there's hope.

What I find amazing is that when there is a general disagreement on the boards, whenever one of a certain group gets involved, it becomes a feeding frenzy for the entire group.

Mark said nothing wrong. I'd be the first to kick him in the crotch if he did considering our history here. He was upfront and honest and retaliated because of Arex's snide remark about the deafening silence. The fact that he has a high profile job makes him a higher profile target.

Obviously Mark had no time for the boards and Arex did.

R.

It seems to me that there's alot of hostility around these boards. It's kind of krappy if you ask me. I haven't been to a con in 20 years and have never met a single board member. I'm beginning to wonder if that's necessarily a bad thing. And that's not to say anything negative about Arex or Mark. I don't know either of them personally. It's just kind of a bummer to see this stuff constantly. It's enough to make a person want to simply collect books and avoid getting to know anybody. :(

ps: I will say that I have dealt via pm with quite a few board members and people have been great. So maybe there's hope.

Actually, I've been lucky enough to meet both Mark and Arex in person. Mark is extremely nice, very charming, and Arex is a complete sweetie pie...Each of them have important jobs that give back to the community, and each of them, have gone out of their way to help others...

So, obviously, this thread was posting by their twin siblings, who just happen to have had a bout of PMS...it's the only rational explanation.. (I watched soap operas years ago, that's how it's always explained;)

As far as the other bouts of PMS on the board, or perhaps, here MMS (Male Mental Syndrome;) I think that perhaps the answer is, to invite more women...we just don't seem to react the same way...

It's been a stressful year for most people, even if YOU aren't suffering financially in some way, you know someone who is, or you have to worry about what might be...

and perhaps, it's good that we are heading towards vacation season, some of us, probably need one.

or we need to count to 1,000, and reread the posts a few times before we post when we are angry, or hurt....and I'm not just talking about this thread.

I was chastened about hugging, when I first posted here, someone was worried that I wouldn't have street cred;) HOWEVER...

I think more hugs, less ...sniping...works:)

so, I'm going to take a shot here, and ditch my street creds;)

grouphugg.gif

Actually, I've been lucky enough to meet both Mark and Arex in person. Mark is extremely nice, very charming, and Arex is a complete sweetie pie...Each of them have important jobs that give back to the community, and each of them, have gone out of their way to help others...

So, obviously, this thread was posting by their twin siblings, who just happen to have had a bout of PMS...it's the only rational explanation.. (I watched soap operas years ago, that's how it's always explained;)

As far as the other bouts of PMS on the board, or perhaps, here MMS (Male Mental Syndrome;) I think that perhaps the answer is, to invite more women...we just don't seem to react the same way...

It's been a stressful year for most people, even if YOU aren't suffering financially in some way, you know someone who is, or you have to worry about what might be...

and perhaps, it's good that we are heading towards vacation season, some of us, probably need one.

or we need to count to 1,000, and reread the posts a few times before we post when we are angry, or hurt....and I'm not just talking about this thread.

I was chastened about hugging, when I first posted here, someone was worried that I wouldn't have street cred;) HOWEVER...

grouphugg.gif

The female touch. :hail:

so, I'm going to take a shot here, and ditch my street creds;) [/color]

grouphugg.gif

Nothing wrong with a group hug. Been doing it since age five at the rink and still do it to this day. Nothing wrong with it and I'll cross check anybody in the teeth that says otherwise.

Maybe I got into too much trouble and too many fights in my younger days b/c all I want to do now is come here and see people getting along and enjoying the hobby. I checked most of my aggression at the door.......

Not all of it though. :devil:

so, I'm going to take a shot here, and ditch my street creds;) [/color]

grouphugg.gif

Nothing wrong with a group hug. Been doing it since age five at the rink and still do it to this day. Nothing wrong with it and I'll cross check anybody in the teeth that says otherwise.

Maybe I got into too much trouble and too many fights in my younger days b/c all I want to do now is come here and see people getting along and enjoying the hobby. I checked most of my aggression at the door.......

Not all of it though. :devil:

I guess there could be aggressive group hugs. :shrug:

The thing is, the people I would trust i trust. But those people that I do trust still have no business reporting that info.

The people that I dont trust, well, they sure as hell dont need to report either.

The ability for monkey business and shenanigans is just too great

Thank you for saving me from having to type this. And I am very much against dealers submitting data, and the comic connect auction.

And who then would you have submitting data? :popcorn:

C-Link, Heritage( :sick:), and Ebay. The rest of the world I have no faith in to do the right thing time after time.

grouphugg.gif

My street credit does not allow Hugs. :sumo:

The thing is, the people I would trust i trust. But those people that I do trust still have no business reporting that info.

The people that I dont trust, well, they sure as hell dont need to report either.

Would you like to expound on this premise?

Be specific, please. :popcorn:

I believe that the only way that data can actually be reported with as little funny stuff going on is if it is from auctions and or public, Heritage, Pedigree, etc. places of business.

The book i sell to whoever, has no business being reported. I dont care how people talk about the sale being verifiable, the sale being between GPA reporters, whatever.

There is too much leeway for tomfoolery that would skew the numbers to the benefit of whoever it would benefit the most.

I trust people. I honestly do. Hell, Mark, if I bought a book from you or we ever had a business deal I would trust that it would be conducted with utmost professionalism.

However, I am wise enough to realize that manipulation will occur by even the best intentioned people.

Therefore the sales should be as transparent as possible and private deals not be reported no matter how respectable the parties are.

Basically comes down to this. Regardless of who reports what, there is a level of risk when it comes to reporting that either has to be considered acceptable, or there can be no reporting. It is all about where you draw the line. Some people don't trust anyone, comiclink, heritage, pedigree or ebay. Some people trust public sales, but not privately reportedly dealer sales. Some people trust basically anyone that George sees fit to trust. So you have to choose from NO reporting, some reporting, or all possible reporting.

Anyway you look at it, the information is incomplete at best, and very slight manipulated at worst. It is an imperfect system and can't realistically be any better.

I personally don't see any need to report every sale and certainly not my purchases. Unless the book is being purchased for my collection which is rare, then I consider everything else wholesale and not of a retail nature, regardless if it is bought here on the boards or from a private collector, so I don't even consider that sale to be the type of information that George is looking for.

Basically comes down to this. Regardless of who reports what, there is a level of risk when it comes to reporting that either has to be considered acceptable, or there can be no reporting. It is all about where you draw the line. Some people don't trust anyone, comiclink, heritage, pedigree or ebay. Some people trust public sales, but not privately reportedly dealer sales. Some people trust basically anyone that George sees fit to trust. So you have to choose from NO reporting, some reporting, or all possible reporting.

Anyway you look at it, the information is incomplete at best, and very slight manipulated at worst. It is an imperfect system and can't realistically be any better.

I personally don't see any need to report every sale and certainly not my purchases. Unless the book is being purchased for my collection which is rare, then I consider everything else wholesale and not of a retail nature, regardless if it is bought here on the boards or from a private collector, so I don't even consider that sale to be the type of information that George is looking for.

Right on.

Right on.

I've also got some sports cards I'd like to sell you all at SMR

:gossip:

I guess there could be aggressive group hugs. :shrug:

you bet!

1443667314_c992517ce0.jpg

Why is it that every picture of a hockey brawl seems to feature the Flyers? :grin:

grouphugg.gif

My street credit does not allow Hugs. :sumo:

I think the term is credibility. :baiting:

Would you like to expound on this premise?

Be specific, please. :popcorn:

I believe that the only way that data can actually be reported with as little funny stuff going on is if it is from auctions and or public, Heritage, Pedigree, etc. places of business.

The book i sell to whoever, has no business being reported. I dont care how people talk about the sale being verifiable, the sale being between GPA reporters, whatever.

There is too much leeway for tomfoolery that would skew the numbers to the benefit of whoever it would benefit the most.

I trust people. I honestly do. Hell, Mark, if I bought a book from you or we ever had a business deal I would trust that it would be conducted with utmost professionalism.

However, I am wise enough to realize that manipulation will occur by even the best intentioned people.

Therefore the sales should be as transparent as possible and private deals not be reported no matter how respectable the parties are.

If you posted more substantive, contributory posts such as above, whether I agree with it or not, perhaps we wouldn't be crossing swords so often, all of which I might add start with you throwing the first shot and personalizing your attacks.

Let me be very clear: I could care less if you (or your little doctor friend who doesn't even merit a specific response from me given his insignificance) think I'm egotistical, a terrible role model or bought my way onto the OSPG advisory board (woo woo). Believe me, my world - whether comic book or law - is not influenced by you. And if you ever get into any legal trouble or need assistance, I'm glad that you can lean on Parker. Doesn't insult me. I am busy enough with the numerous other board members who apparently don't share your views and come to me for help, which I am happy to give.

This is the first time I've been able to get on the boards and read threads since Monday night due to work. I assure you I wasn't concerned or scared to deal with anything you, or anyone else here, throws at me. If you think otherwise, I guess you have a bigger ego than you think I do.

You, and several others, are nothing more than message board bullies. You're antagonistic, spiteful, scornful and seem to relish in attacking people, most of the time for no reason. I feel sorry for you.

But, in any event, the real important thing here is that I SOLD the book. And, as many of you no doubt realized, the dire circumstances were that I purchased the Church copy of this issue.

So, feel free to take as many shots at me as you like. I am a happy camper and really don't care. :P I sued the CIA today yet again, which always brightens my day, and I have the best copy of this book known to exist! :banana:

Oh, and by the way: :slapfight:

A fair viewpoint to be sure.