• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Denoting "Appearances" that aren't really appearances?

63 posts in this topic

Ultimately, who really cares? They're just looking for some kind of information to put on the label.

However, I do wish they would list which issues of a particular title are being reprinted when they grade the reprints.

Why is the notation of a reprint more relevant than listing character appearances? If you don't care about who appears within a book, why do you care about what story appears between the covers? JC's point is just as valid.

The more info on the label, the better. And any info that is there should be accurate and consistent, otherwise it's pointless, as Gaz pointed out.

The reprint information is actual information. It would be nice to know that X-Men 67 is a reprint of X-Men #12-13 with out having to go digging through the Internet.

Anyways, JC's argument is that it isn't a real Stranger appearance, but the Toad in disguise as the Stranger. Really, that's irrelevant. It is a Stranger appearance. The fact that it is the Toad with an image inducer is an element of the plot twist. That is the part I was asking who really cares about as it is splitting hairs.

Anyways, JC's argument is that it isn't a real Stranger appearance, but the Toad in disguise as the Stranger. Really, that's irrelevant.

I disagree about the relevance in that particular instance. Either list the imposter, or don't list the appearance at all.

It is a Stranger appearance. The fact that it is the Toad with an image inducer is an element of the plot twist. That is the part I was asking who really cares about.

Am I to assume, then, that you consider Strange Tales 114 to be the first S.A appearance of Captain America?

1.) Again, I say, "who really cars?" Don't list it. It is extraneous information.

2.) Yes, it is the image of Captain America, isn't it? To me he's no more an impostor playing Cap as the Winter Soldier (Bucky) is now.

1.) Again, I say, "who really cars?" Don't list it. It is extraneous information.

2.) Yes, it is the image of Captain America, isn't it? To me he's no more an impostor playing Cap as the Winter Soldier (Bucky) is now.

So the question is: would you bang Gwen Stacy's clone? Because I sure as hell would.

I think space limitations might be a factor when adding info to the labeling.

So they at CGC might know that it is a phoney Stranger but don't list it because of how much actual text the label can accommodate.

So the question is: would you bang Gwen Stacy's clone? Because I sure as hell would.

Would prefer the clone actually....

Not so much pillow talk, I would presume. :gossip:

It is silly listing Avengers # 138 as a Stranger appearance when he doesn't appear in the book. :screwy:

But he's on the cover - indeed, the largest figure on it. Should graders be expected to have read every book they see? If you examine large numbers of books for their physical condition, does there come a point where you stop noticing the actual stories?

Of course the graders shouldn't be expected to read every book they see, it's not the graders who decide what notes to put on the label.

Whoever it is that creates the database that prints off the labels how ever should know what they're talking about otherwise what is the point of having the notes? (shrug)

Sounds like CGC needs to hire a full-time guy that girls don't talk to. :gossip:

Ever see a naked label....?

MVC-005F.jpg

Probably because nobody has ever read it before. They don't know what to put on the label. :gossip:

Why do you sit on your chili dogs when your out at the ball game ? :gossip:

Yes. I wouldn't feel as bad about the "extra curricular activities" done with the clone. Clones are dirty, dirty girls. :devil:

Why not? A clone is a clone is a clone. On which issue of the Amazing Spider-Man should CGC designate, "Gwen Stacy clone banged by ________ ." on the label?

more info on the label = longer turnaround times. :pullhair:

:screwy:

Agreed. Once entered into the system, the labels would automatically carry the new information. It would take longer to enter in the serial number.

Erm, maybe wrong time and place. but maybe graders notes could be on the back of the label?

Neil, the subject of graders notes got discussed to death a while back.and as much as a lot of people would like graders notes on the slab, it just ain't going to happen. :sorry:

Erm, maybe wrong time and place. but maybe graders notes could be on the back of the label?

Neil, the subject of graders notes got discussed to death a while back.and as much as a lot of people would like graders notes on the slab, it just ain't going to happen. :sorry:

It would slow down turn around times... :whistle: