• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Denoting "Appearances" that aren't really appearances?

63 posts in this topic

I know that "back in the day", when people actually read and collected the books, these fake/imaginary/doppelganger appearances were noted as such in Overstreet and other guides, so that the "Chameleon in a Wolverine suit" wasn't incorrectly listed at a true Wolverine appearance.

I've noticed more and more that CGC doesn't seem to care, and some guy wearing a costume, someone projecting an illusion, a robot, or a Skrull impersonating a hero/villain counts the same as a true appearance by the character.

I've seen tons of examples (like the infamous Werewolf 37), but it really hit home tonight when I was looking for some BA slabs and I kept coming across these non-appearances that were listed in the label. The last one was Avengers 138, which is listed as a "Stranger appearance". doh!

Am I the only person who read these books, or in the "new world" is a robot/illusionary/Chameleon Wolverine as good as the real thing?

The Stranger makes a cover appearance and is not involved in the story line?

Nope, the Stranger doesn't appear on the cover or in a single panel of that book.

:gossip: It's the Toad with some kind of image enhancer.

Nope, the Stranger doesn't appear on the cover or in a single panel of that book.

Will girls even talk to you? hm

I can only assume this is a poor attempt at humor, trying to portray me as someone who obsessively reads and rereads comics looking for CGC errors...

rather than the real story of me being blessed with incredible memory and having the ability to easily bring up stories I read 30+ years ago.

I can only assume this is a poor attempt at humor, trying to portray me as someone who obsessively reads and rereads comics looking for CGC errors...

rather than the real story of me being blessed with incredible memory and having the ability to easily bring up stories I read 30+ years ago.

Good God! You're a greggy shill. :o

My favorite thing is the rampant noting on Bondage covers on the labels. Someone could be handcuffed behind the back on the cover and CGC would note it as a bondage cover. I think the real collector appeal and notations for those were really meant to be kept to classic books like Phantom Lady 17, and not a Batman comic from 1976 where Robin is tied up on the cover. :sick:

JC,

they put "Stranger" appearance on the case so as not to ruin the suprise ending when the kid bought the comic and busted the book out to read it.

Perhaps Stranger is a reference to the buyer of the book. i.e. if you buy this book you are stranger than most.

JC, this is not a shot at you by the way.

It is so a shot at you, Vince.

Ed just PM'd me to say, "That was a shot at JC by the way.".

Perhaps Stranger is a reference to the buyer of the book. i.e. if you buy this book you are stranger than most.

JC, this is not a shot at you by the way.

It is so a shot at you, Vince.

Ed just PM'd me to say, "That was a shot at JC by the way.".

Fight! Fight! :popcorn: