• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,230 posts in this topic

Nice to be working again, while I am only picking low hanging fruit there seems to be quite a few lately to pick and choose from. The 97 came in today the 88 may be another week or so out since it is coming from out of country.

scan0028_zps692452a7.jpg

Great cover! What is up with the hand drawn issue number - are there more from this era besides this and TGK 60?

I think (I could be wrong) that these two comics were the only Marvel comics that had hand written numbering. I am not sure why Marvel did this. These books were not released around the same time either. The Kid Colt #97 is from March 1961 and the Two Gun Kid #60 was from November 1963. First thing I thought to myself was that maybe they came out the same month and Marvel was trying something different with the Western titles. (shrug)

One thing I can tell you....I never see a clean presentable copy of Kid Colt #97! Great looking copy! (worship):applause:

I really like the grey tones in that cover. Marvel did quite a few of these kinda covers and they always stand out to me. I always hear about the DC grey tone covers....but you never hear about the Marvel ones. :popcorn:

That isn't grey-tone.

I really like the grey tones in that cover. Marvel did quite a few of these kinda covers and they always stand out to me. I always hear about the DC grey tone covers....but you never hear about the Marvel ones. :popcorn:

That isn't grey-tone.

Well what is it? :popcorn:

The Kid Colt does have a greytone appearance in the foreground where it looks as if the black plate was the first printed and the grey was laid overtop.

scan0028_zps692452a7.jpg

On the DC covers the black is limited and looks to be underprinted beneath the colour or only as a screened colour, itself. Form is created by a greater range of muted and greyed colours (responding to a strong light source in the picture) giving it a painterly appearance.

CU_zps43d252d7.jpg

I am sure that someone more knowledgeable than myself can provide the technical procedure.

That isn't grey-tone.

Color. Plain old color.

That isn't grey-tone.

Color. Plain old color.

Well marvel did a few covers like this...that had color...but also had grey tone images. Maybe the people in grey are meant to be in the shadows. I think these covers stand out. I like em!

The Kid Colt does have a greytone appearance in the foreground where it looks as if the black plate was the first printed and the grey was laid overtop.

scan0028_zps692452a7.jpg

On the DC covers the black is limited and looks to be underprinted beneath the colour or only as a screened colour, itself. Form is created by a greater range of muted and greyed colours (responding to a strong light source in the picture) giving it a painterly appearance.

CU_zps43d252d7.jpg

I am sure that someone more knowledgeable than myself can provide the technical procedure.

Sounds like a pretty good explanation of the process to me. I can't recall any Atlas/Marvel greytone covers, but there are quite a few with clever monochromatic coloring of foreground and/or background figures to focus the attention on the hero. There also a few Maneely covers where background characters are given faded black lines and color fill for a similar effect.

Guys, greytoñes are just when the black plate is shot from painted artwork as opposed to an inked solid black line. The Challengers was created by painted images that were stripped onto the cmyk plates.

The Kid Colt however was colored the usual way except that instead of a coloring with percentages of the colored inks, the colorist chose to use 30% of black ink.

think of greytone covers as photographs like you see in newspapers, but with colors added to them. Thats for pieces where only the black plate looks photographic. Of course the panted (photography) areas can be converted and printed with a color plate (blue, red, or yellow)

Guys, greytoñes are just when the black plate is shot from painted artwork as opposed to an inked solid black line. The Challengers was created by painted images that were stripped onto the cmyk plates.

The Kid Colt however was colored the usual way except that instead of a coloring with percentages of the colored inks, the colorist chose to use 30% of black ink.

Some day I'm gonna buy you a beer.