• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coverless Amazing Fantasy 15

11 posts in this topic

I posted this cover in the resto. section, but wanted to get some opinions here as well.

I'm curious what anyone might think a coverless version of AF 15 is worth. I've found one that has all of the pages intact, and the back cover too. It's missing the front cover, but otherwise, looks like it's in pretty decent shape.

I just purchased it, but am curious how this might grade if I sent it in to Matt Nelson first for a repro. cover before sending it in to CGC.

spidey.jpg

I think it would get the "NG" designation as is.

I'd get Matt to put a repro cover on it, personally. I've never cared much for coverless comics. Nice find, though!

I don´t think it´s worth to sub it because of the NG. It wouldn´t really make a difference when you´d want to sell it.

If you keep it like that, at least you´ll have a chance to read it. Cool thing.

Get the repro, it´ll be a cool complete book and the cover will feel very similar to an original one (Or just get one of those repro-covers they´re selling on ebay for $25(or $35 I can´t remember))

What are the chances of finding a real AF 15 front cover?

And if I were to find one and have Matt Nelson or Susan Cicconi marry it to the existing back cover (assuming they do that), would the book get a purple label from CGC instead of a potential 0.5 or NG?

And if I were to find one and have Matt Nelson or Susan Cicconi marry it to the existing back cover (assuming they do that), would the book get a purple label from CGC instead of a potential 0.5 or NG?

The odds are pretty rare you'll find an original cover,repro cover is probably your best option here.

Your chances of finding an AF 15 cover is better than finding an Action 1 cover...tough, but not out of the question...you have a better chance finding an incomplete AF 15 (missing a page, etc) and you could marry that cover to your copy...yah, you would get a PLOD if you married a cover to your copy..

Do you really want to get this book slabbed? if it were me - I would either:

A) leave it as is: so you can enjoy it - reading the story in its original format every once in a while would be a thrill. Getting it slabbed seems silly to me. Putting a reproduction cover on it and then getting it slabbed seems really silly. You're basically entombing the book in a slab and the only thing you'll ever see from it again is some fake modern reprint. Why not just have a picture of an Amazing Fantasy 15 on the wall or on your desktop. Seems very similar to me.

B)If you want it to feel more complete - get the reproduction cover and then leave it raw in a nice mylar. Again, So you can enjoy the book.

Getting it graded seems pointless - its a cover less copy even if you wrap a fake reprint over it.

Finding and paying for another, incomplete copy of AF15 just so you can marry the cover on a coverless doesn't seem practical. I think you would be better off saving and buying a nice 2.0 copy and you would probably spend the same cash overall.

(Don't get me wrong - I think having even a cover less copy of AF15 is the sheeeeznot but when I saw that repro cover copy get a PLOD 4.0 I threw up in my mouth.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm just trying to figure what all of my options are so I can make the best decision based on what I plan to do with the book.

For now, I'd like to keep it and read it. So I'll most likely send it off to Matt for the color copy cover (which includes sealing any major tears and pressing the book).

By the time he's done with it, I should have a very nice looking copy of AF 15 in my collection. :grin:

I guess my questions regarding slabbing and the FMV of the comic are mainly to help me think about what I may want to do if I ever did decide to sell it.

But I think that would be at least a few years from now, if at all.