• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for opinions

538 posts in this topic

Honestly? You took a gamble at trying to score big in having the book pressed; it turned out the results were not what you were hoping for. I mean, I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic... but you took a risk and it didn't pay off. That sucks, but it's part and parcel of the game I guess....

Mac,

what does that have to do with anything? That he took a chance on getting the book pressed and it got damaged is his fault? That logic doesnt hold water bro. :screwy:

Arex,

Admittedly, my initial response isn't as clearly laid out as it should have been. My assumption is that the abrasion probably took place while opening up the case (as I can't think of any other reason why or how it might have happened). And again, my understanding is that the buyer takes the risk upon him/herself of having their book damaged when they have someone else open it up.

SO, it's not actually so much the act of pressing that I think he lost the gamble but having someone else open the case for him. Is that a little more clear?

I can tell you exactly how it happened. I had the identical thing happen to a copy of Star Wars #1 in NM raw that I sent in to be pressed. The book was gorgeous.

I was told the book would grade in the 9.6+ range. When I got it back from CGC, it was a 7.0 and the entire spine area color was "rubbed" away. Like your ASM, but the entire length of the book. I called the Pro and asked what happened and was told that the comic stayed in the press too long and probably got too hot, which makes the inks very easy to smudge or pull away. When it was taken out of the press, the protective paper used on the top and bottom of the comic, pulled the color right off the book.

It looked exactly the same as the damage to your book.

Now as far as re-imbursement, that can get tricky. Since mine was raw, I was refunded all monies that were put into it. Initial cost, shipping, pressing work and submission cost.

IMHO, you should get the value of a CGC 8.0 ASM and all fees incurred for pressing, shipping and CGC. If it were me, I would be satisfied with that.

Getting paid for a 9.0 is wishful thinking, since the book was never a 9.0 regardless of what the book was "expected" to be...My 2c

After a final inspection, the book was forwarded to CGC. Both the pressing and CGC fees reflected a 9.0 book.

What was the declared value of the book?

That's what it was insured for right?

While that info would be useful, it really only applies to shipping damage or damage on premises. The pressing company is self insured. The form listed all books as $1000, the cut for Express books.

Well if you paid the fee then that's what you should get right? ???

Or halfway maybe?

Take the best case (9.0) and the worst case (another 8.0) and saw the baby in half.

Something else to consider: a non-key Issue to spend coin from a 8.0 to attempt a 9.0 is not good money management, and trust me I am not the best person for money management, meaning that I have unwisely spent coin on a project that I should have been more PATIENT with. patient meaning that I would get a better raw copy, send THAT one, and almost 100% of the time I got my desired grade.

It was a $900 bump. My economics study said "approved".

Honestly? You took a gamble at trying to score big in having the book pressed; it turned out the results were not what you were hoping for. I mean, I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic... but you took a risk and it didn't pay off. That sucks, but it's part and parcel of the game I guess....

Mac,

what does that have to do with anything? That he took a chance on getting the book pressed and it got damaged is his fault? That logic doesnt hold water bro. :screwy:

Arex,

Admittedly, my initial response isn't as clearly laid out as it should have been. My assumption is that the abrasion probably took place while opening up the case (as I can't think of any other reason why or how it might have happened). And again, my understanding is that the buyer takes the risk upon him/herself of having their book damaged when they have someone else open it up.

SO, it's not actually so much the act of pressing that I think he lost the gamble but having someone else open the case for him. Is that a little more clear?

I can tell you exactly how it happened. I had the identical thing happen to a copy of Star Wars #1 in NM raw that I sent in to be pressed. The book was gorgeous.

I was told the book would grade in the 9.6+ range. When I got it back from CGC, it was a 7.0 and the entire spine area color was "rubbed" away. Like your ASM, but the entire length of the book. I called the Pro and asked what happened and was told that the comic stayed in the press too long and probably got too hot, which makes the inks very easy to smudge or pull away. When it was taken out of the press, the protective paper used on the top and bottom of the comic, pulled the color right off the book.

Now as far as re-imbursement, that can get tricky. Since mine was raw, I was refunded all monies that were put into it. Initial cost, shipping, pressing work and submission cost.

IMHO, you should get the value of a CGC 8.0 ASM and all fees incurred for pressing, shipping and CGC. If it were me, I would be satisfied with that.

Getting paid for a 9.0 is wishful thinking, since the book was never a 9.0 regardless of what the book was "expected" to be...My 2c

Your explanation is quite plausible. The only catch is that the book was forwarded to CGC as a 9.0. I'm not saying that made it a 9.0. I'm saying it implies the damage was NOT due to pressing. The fact that neither the presser nor CGC document the books they ship/receive has become my fault.

FWIW, this was not some kid in the back room of a comic store.

Ah heck, I'm out of this conversation gents. I spent my whole Saturday doing paperwork so my brain is just too fried to keep up y'all lol

In any event, it's as I said before H2L, I'm far from unsympathetic to your situation. Hopefully things work themselves out for the best!

Ah heck, I'm out of this conversation gents. I spent my whole Saturday doing paperwork so my brain is just too fried to keep up y'all lol

In any event, it's as I said before H2L, I'm far from unsympathetic to your situation. Hopefully things work themselves out for the best!

Thanks for your time and comments

I was never told the book got damage either. It went all the way to CGC with the damage that happened by the presser. I don't think they like admitting they f'd up a book.

Regardless, I understand that the Pro has offered some sort of $$$. My earlier opinion on that is the same..... :)

About the pressing. I have to agree with some other posts. That is a terible job. I still see the spine creases, and the burn in spots of foxing adds to my idea of the damage. Press was to hot and sat in it for to long.

presser and cgc need to come to a solution. who damaged the book? maybe 50/50 if they can't take responsibility. case closed.

That is financially between them. Not my problem. The question is, What is the value of the book?

I would have to say 8.0. Just because that can be proven without a doubt.

And how would you value it if it were raw?

An 8.0 as it was never seen as a 9.0. And no evidence exists that it was pressed successfully.

Again, I ask. What would you say if it were raw? It was submitted to CGC raw, not in a holder. I respect your comment, I just don't understand.

you value it raw for the amount it was insured for...that is pretty black and white with CGC, I believe?

so, if the pressing agent felt it was a 9.0, it should have been valuded on the CGC form as a 9.0,. and that is the value it would be reimbursed for, if (and I say if) cgc damaged it while in their possesion...

I was never told the book got damage either. It went all the way to CGC with the damage that happened by the presser. I don't think they like admitting they f'd up a book.

Regardles, I understand that the Pro has offered some sort of $$$. My earlier opinion on that is the same..... :)

about the pressing. I have to agree with some other posts. That is a terible job. I still see the spine creases and the burn in spots of foxing adds to my idea of the damage. Press was to hot and sat in it for to long.

(thumbs u

now, I have read some more responses...if the pressing agent damaged, then it is only valued as a 8.0 + refund of service fees and shipping costs (IMO)

So let me get this straight. You send a graded comic to a “professional” who you pay to press your book.

Then he sends it to another “professional” who the re grades it.

Somewhere along the way, one of them completely f the book up.

And neither one will fess up to the damage (shrug)

I guess you need to take scans before you ship to the presser, before they press, after they press and before they ship to CGC, after they get to CGC, after they are slabbed and before they are mailed back to you, and one last time after you get them back.

That's the only way way to know for sure when anything happened isn't it? lol

Thinking of a certain FF 65

now, I have read some more responses...if the pressing agent damaged, then it is only valued as a 8.0 + refund of service fees and shipping costs (IMO)

I might agree if I knew the pressing agent caused the damage. That's part of the problem. But the evidence in hand from the pressing agent implies he did not cause the damage. The book was forwarded after inspection and submitted to CGC as a 9.0 by the agent.

Clear as mud!

So let me get this straight. You send a graded comic to a “professional” who you pay to press your book.

Then he sends it to another “professional” who the re grades it.

Somewhere along the way, one of them completely f the book up.

And neither one will fess up to the damage (shrug)

(thumbs u

I guess you need to take scans before you ship to the presser, before they press, after they press and before they ship to CGC, after they get to CGC, after they are slabbed and before they are mailed back to you, and one last time after you get them back.

That's the only way way to know for sure when anything happened isn't it? lol

Thinking of a certain FF 65

I'd laugh with you, but I'm the one out a grand :cry:

Mac,

Arex,

:golfclap: I agree totally. This happened in the press. As far as value, what he said.

DRX

In my opinion the presser needs to do the following:

return the book to you,

give you the difference between a 7.5 and an 8.0,

refund the fee for his service,

and refund the grading fees for forwarding the book on that you've paid him.

If he is truely a PRO thats what he'll do.

If he did the damage he knows it and will silently eat crow. If he didn't damage the book he knows it as well and can deal with CGC himself over the dispute. (The submission is in his name after all.)

In my opinion the presser needs to do the following:

return the book to you,

give you the difference between a 7.5 and an 8.0,

refund the fee for his service,

and refund the grading fees for forwarding the book on that you've paid him.

If he is truely a PRO thats what he'll do.

If he did the damage he knows it and will silently eat crow. If he didn't damage the book he knows it as well and can deal with CGC himself over the dispute. (The submission is in his name after all.)

One more thing. I do not feel you are entitled to be reimbursed for a 9.0 value. Sorry.

Something else to consider: a non-key Issue to spend coin from a 8.0 to attempt a 9.0 is not good money management, and trust me I am not the best person for money management, meaning that I have unwisely spent coin on a project that I should have been more PATIENT with. patient meaning that I would get a better raw copy, send THAT one, and almost 100% of the time I got my desired grade.

It was a $900 bump. My economics study said "approved".

Are you sure that the ASM 17 9.0 will command a net of $900 versus the 8.0???

I sent you a PM with further contact info.

I am hoping that we can further try to solve your dilemma.

CAL who may be able to help :hi:

I'd laugh with you, but I'm the one out a grand :cry:

There's some kind of disconnect here I don't understand.

If the damage was caused by a too hot press/release paper pulls (like was described), why would books be sent on for encapsulation? Isn't an "up grade evaluation" part of the service? Once that expectation's blown, why bother?

And if the Pressing didn't cause the damage, wouldn't they be on the phone to CGC on your behalf (assuming they're a CGC marketing partner)? If for nothing else, to protect their own rep?

Just asking, since I haven't used a presser. But if they sent your book on to CGC, post-service, on your behalf, then they're acting as your agent. Shouldn't they have your back until you're a satisfied customer?