• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WE'RE NOT THAT FAR!!!

46 posts in this topic

In fact, here is the tracking number

cp175279927us

You see up top where it says International Priority. SO clearly THERE IS online tracking...please stop saying there isn't...

Just got a package in. I was charged $40 for shipping. Amount on the stamp...$23 Packaged with FREE USPS cardboard boxes. Again, I don't mind adding a little bit of money, but $17 more??? I just don't think it's fair.

How much was the item and did you pay through PayPal? I ask, because it could be that $17 was the Paypal fees they were charged in the transaction, if PayPal was used. I know I factor them into my shipping costs on items I sell.

Again, I know nothing of this person you got this item from, but for me, I only make a very small commission percentage from the art I sell from the artists I rep. If I had to eat the PayPal fees (especially for International sales, which are higher), I'd virtually be working for almost nothing in some cases. I don't like doing it, but I see little other choice for me, as many buyers (International or not) like the security and convenience of using PayPal. I recently had someone looking to buy multiple pieces from me, who lived in Canada, and after getting the shipping and insurance, along with the cost of the art, the PayPal fees brought the total to about $40 for me, as well. They did back out, citing a personal crisis that prevented them from closing the deal, but whether that was the case or not, it doesn't change the fact that $40.00 shipping chrages is what he would have been paying.

Like I said, I don't know the situation for this person you bought from. I just wanted to show that it might not be them just trying to pad their own wallet. There are sometime legitimate reasons for a charge like that. Just the price of doing business Internationally, in this case.

In fact, here is the tracking number

cp175279927us

You see up top where it says International Priority. SO clearly THERE IS online tracking...please stop saying there isn't...

No address listed. To be covered by paypal you need tracking to the confirmed address.

No, it doesn't work like that. I already did this through paypal once and won. You are right that the address doesn't appear online, but you fill out a form at the post office that gets stuck on to the package that has the tracking number on it as well as the address you are shipping to. You should also get a copy of this. If you get into a problem with paypal, they ask for the documentation and you scan them or fax them the "receipt" or copy which contains both the tracking number and the address. As long as the address matches the CONFIRMED paypal address of the buyer...and the tracking number ONLINE confirms delivery of the package...and THAT tracking number matches the address that is confirmed with paypal and is on the receipt, then you are fine...

I'm not sure even if you ship express if they would publish your address online...but I have no idea for sure...

As for padding the paypal fees into the shipping fees..... That could be another whole thread, and one I am not sure too many people would want to post to as ebay doesn't look too kindly upon that. For private deals through CAF or whatever when it is prearranged with the buyer that if they want to use paypal they will have to pay the fees, that is fine... but for an ebay auction... Not saying it isn't done, or that it is even fair or not...just that it is a big no-no.

And either way the piece was $200 so paypal fees would have been around $6...not $17...now if you are trying to also pad your FVF in there... well again...big no-no and there has to be some cost of doing business...doesn't there? Otherwise I would hate to be guys that do that and then get audited...

No, it doesn't work like that.

Well I got screwed on it. I did complain. Perhaps I should have called them but they closed the case and that was that. I've been using express since then. This was years ago.

The tracking number you have is that from insurance or the customs form?

I am sorry you got screwed. Seriously. That sucks. And it just sits with you. I got screwed once on the buyers end and it is just the worst feeling in the world... and I will agree that the paypal dispute center is not a very helpful way to settle disputes. It takes FOREVER for them to get back to you and when they do it seems like there response is a form letter which doesn't actually answer any of your questions... That's what happened to me as a buyer. They asked me for this form of some sort and by the time I got clarification on what exactly they wanted, they closed the case...

Now in terms of the tracking number being from insurance or customs, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I think it is both... I only say that mind you having no idea what I am talking about, but I thought a customs forum that is filled out WAS for the purpose of insurance... but again, I am completely ignorant to this. I wish I hadn't just recycled the package I just got so I could explain better. I know here in Canada our tracking number is on the customs declaration, but is also printed on the cash receipt for insurance purposes...