• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WE'RE NOT THAT FAR!!!

46 posts in this topic

Okay, you know what grinds my gears? People who charge crazy amounts to ship to Canada

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-JOE-ORIGINAL-ART-COVER-ISSUE-36-MICHAEL-GOLDEN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a3Q7c294Q3a50QQ_

First of all...it's a color guide...second $500 to ship to Canada!?!?!? And FREE shipping to the U.S.?

What is with some people shipping to Canada and the prices they charge? Though I will also say I have dealt with some great people who have no problem shipping here and also have an idea that it doesn't cost the crazy amounts some people think it does. And what makes it worse is when they charge you $50 to ship here and then you get the piece and there is an $8 stamp. I don't mind when I am charged up to maybe $10 more than the stamp for materials and possible taxes etc. But when it's $40 more...

My favorite is when I ask why shipping to Canada is so much, they talk about the "extra labor" involved to shipping to Canada. Extra labor?!?!? Is filling out a customs form that big a deal?

I don't understand why so many people think that shipping to Canada is the same as shipping "international". It's not. It's a little more than shipping within your own country, but not as much as shipping overseas. Sorry about this. I just had to get it out. It's been irking me for awhile, but then I saw the $500 shipping on the above auction and I just had to write it somewhere....

Did you contact the seller regarding the international charge ?

I understand your point, but international is a broad statement.

It means he would ship it to god knows where...unfortunately for you Canada is considered international.

I have a feeling he has no experience in international shipping. Just an assumption.

And before entering something wrong he entered at least an amount and gives international bidders the chance to bid.

I would reach out to him and ask.

Also, some people just don't want to deal with international papers, etc.

At least he gives you the option instead of saying no from the beginning.

Please understand that I don't agree to that, but that's my guess.

But I can confirm that shipping to Canada is MORE expensive and custom papers etc. are an issue.

Sometimes I would list items with no shipping outside the USA. Bidders would still bid anyway. I also tried something like this. I didn;t get as many bidders outside the US then :P

But I can confirm that shipping to Canada is MORE expensive and custom papers etc. are an issue.

I realize shipping is more expensive, but not NEARLY as expensive as some claim to think it is. And are customs papers THAT much of an issue? That I need to be charged that much more? 95% of what I sell I sell outside of my country and the customs forms take me about 2 minutes tops to fill out. Why is that such an issue. Are customs forms really complicated in the U.S.? Here we fill out name, address, contents and worth... and that's it.

Wurstis I am sure you are a fair shipper as many U.S. dealers and collectors I have dealt with but others have just been ridiculous. And I have, on the occasion charged too much for shipping because I estimate it to be a certain rate and it comes in under what I thought. I always refund some of the difference if it is a major discrepancy ($5 +)

And if I start seeing some fantastic Spider-Ham art up on your site I am sure I will be dealing with you....No, you can't have my cover ;)

Not only are the forms in the U.S. often a PITA (there's more than one kind and god help you if you filled out the wrong one), but it takes the workers at my P.O. 3 times as long to check the thing in and get you out the door. That means instead of a 15-20 minute stand in line every single day no matter what time of day, but then instead of a 5-10 time at the counter, you're looking at 15-30 minutes at the counter while they try this and that until they get it right. Not to mention I can do everything online for a U.S. shipment and simply walk it up to the counter without waiting in line since it's all paid up online, but international of any kind, including Canada requires the standing in line and whatnot. Plus I think the insurance values are higher, i.e. they charge more if it leaves the country, but that may depend on where it's going, and the insurance limits are lower, so if it's a higher value piece of art, you may have to ship via faster transport like next day to qualify for a higher insurance value.

These are some of the things I've encountered in the past.

Don't even get me started on how inept my postal delivery guy is. I swear to god, today I came home and he about peeled rubber past my driveway. I got up to the door and realized it's because he left the dreaded orange card for me, and didn't want to stop to give the package to me. It would mean he'd get done 5 minutes slower. Instead I've gotta go stand in that damn line again tomorrow.

-e.

Yeah we have the little green one's for some and then the Expedited and the Express... and then the overnight, but I never use those..but as long as I know ahead of time how I will be sending, it's no big deal. What I do....and maybe you guys aren't allowed to do this, but I take a bunch of the different customs forms home and fill them out there and so when I go to the Post Office I just drop it off. Yes, if it's busy I have to stand in line for a bit, but even if I were shipping a package in Canada I would have to do that.

Sounds to me it might have to do with your postal outlet and the people who work there. Mine is great and the people who work there know me now and even give me free flat rate envelopes and discount card from time to time... so I love the countries postal service the their employees....

Now if you want to really get me going we could talk about UPS. What can Brown do for me? Apparently nothing right....

I've actually started ordering stuff off of the USPS website. Most of the forms are free and they'll bring you a bundle. It's just a PITA when we get one form ready and you show up and they say, nuh uh, we need the other one, and you KNOW it was the one you have the LAST time you sent something out. So then you gotta step aside and fill it out and then come back with it after they help other people. It varies, I've shipped stuff from up by my Paren'ts place and they are whizes with international packages. They are also an hour trip 1-way for me. None of the POs near by mine are any better than the one I use. Half the time there are lines out the door, and we have 5 teller stations at ours. Just loopy. Plus now USPS wants to cut the services back, and possibly cut one day of delivery too.

For me anyway, it's much easier to use the automated system and ship in-country than out. Saves me hours of time and additional forms and whatnots. Can't speak for everyone, but my time is money.

Don't get me started on UPS either. ;)

FedEx for me is actually great. I have an account. For international tho, it's almost a no go. You think USPS prices are high for international? FedEx's are often terrible. 2-3 Xs the price. And what's more, if you use USPS Priority, unless it's shippong locally they almost all go on FedEx planes anyway.

-e.

-e.

I got an email from seller today and he says

Thats a base price price I put in to let potential bidders know that sending the art overseas can and is expensive. But it won't be $500 to Canada. As I state in the body text of the auction, I will charge exact shipping after the auction is over.

Thanks Ares, though I just looked at the auction again and it doesn't say anywhere that he will charge exact shipping after auction is over. Thanks for checking it out.