• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Burned on my snipe by an ebay "system error"

90 posts in this topic

I detest snipe bids.

I detest sniping programs, if someone has the time to sit and wait for a comic that they want to enter the last minute, good luck to them, but i have no such patience

??

The whole point of a sniping program is that you don't have to sit & wait until the last minute to place your bid - you log your snipe & forget about it.

I detest snipe bids.

I detest sniping programs, if someone has the time to sit and wait for a comic that they want to enter the last minute, good luck to them, but i have no such patience

??

The whole point of a sniping program is that you don't have to sit & wait until the last minute to place your bid - you log your snipe & forget about it.

Exactly! Set it, and forget it :headbang:

2183319851_7b07177fa4_m.jpg

I detest snipe bids.

??

Exactly! Set it, and forget it :headbang:

2183319851_7b07177fa4_m.jpg

And another thread gets derailed :blahblah:

They should add a timer so that any bids done in the last minute adds an additional 2 minutes to the auction.

Absolutely. This is the fairest way for people that want the item and the seller of the item. It wouldn't be as good for people that are trying to get low-priced items at the last minute.

The system is just fine as it is. If "the people that want the item" (as opposed to those dirty little snipers) want to win the item, I suggest they bid higher.

If the system was fine you wouldn't of heard all the buyers whining in which things changed and now all the sellers are whining. Snipe programs should not be allowed and if you are going to snipe you should be sitting at your computer to do it yourself so I don't feel sorry for any of these individuals that get screwed and don't win because the program or whatever failed. If they wanted the item bad enough they should have sat their and bid manually. You also have to note that sellers that shill their own accounts could set up snipes instead of setting reserves to save fees too. This is why I rarely bid on items because I myself have watched people shill items I am bidding on. I now wait patiently for sellers that have high or reasonable feedback, have the item priced reasonable with the buy it now option along with cheap shipping. I can understand that some items will probbaly always be auction style but a real auction works by individuals bidding to no one bids no more in my opinion. The only reason this won't work is because of shill bidding so don't tell me the system isn't broken when it is!!!!!!!!! Ebay is broken when it comes to auctions when bids are required. So NO the system is not fine.

Just another reason to sell on C-link over ebay :P

Or track the book until the end and don't over-depend on applications to do the work 100% effectively.

Not the first time I am hearing about one of these services failing. The last was a Comico Primer 2 CGC 9.8 that only sold for $555 because the potential high bidder asked one of these services to bid $800. They had an "eBay log-in error" too.

If I had to guess which service failed me, I would guess it was ebay that failed, not Gavelsnipe. What's the difference if I can't log into ebay in the last few minutes manually to get my bid in?

Also, the seller reported to me they got low prices for "all" of their auctions ending last night.

Coincidence?

Might I suggest going with a more reliable sniper, like esnipe.com? "You get what you pay for" applies here.

Also, to protect yourself from an outage, put in a manual lowball bid when you set your snipe. It also lines you up for a second chance offer.

Or track the book until the end and don't over-depend on applications to do the work 100% effectively.

Not the first time I am hearing about one of these services failing. The last was a Comico Primer 2 CGC 9.8 that only sold for $555 because the potential high bidder asked one of these services to bid $800. They had an "eBay log-in error" too.

If I had to guess which service failed me, I would guess it was ebay that failed, not Gavelsnipe. What's the difference if I can't log into ebay in the last few minutes manually to get my bid in?

Also, the seller reported to me they got low prices for "all" of their auctions ending last night.

Coincidence?

Might I suggest going with a more reliable sniper, like esnipe.com? "You get what you pay for" applies here.

Also, to protect yourself from an outage, put in a manual lowball bid when you set your snipe. It also lines you up for a second chance offer.

i meant that if you have the patience to wait and snipe you deserve the comic at a good price, sniping programs are those with low morale fibre !

Coincidence?

i meant that if you have the patience to wait and snipe you deserve the comic at a good price, sniping programs are those with low morale fibre !

I'll assume that was meant to say "sniping programs are FOR those with low moral fiber." I'm afraid I have to take exception to a blanket statement like that. Also, this thread is not about the ethical or moral question behind sniping.

Sniping has also become so prevalent that many times, RECORD prices are realized through snipes. The use of sniping doesn't always diminish the sale; in many cases, it helps the seller to realize fantastic figures.

Furthermore, a bid is a bid is a bid. If you put in a manual bid of $900, then guess what? My snipe of $800 isn't going to win me squat. Sniping is never a guarantee of a win, regardless of the fact that it is placed in the last few seconds. It is a service that is out there and is, IMO, well worth the small fee to use.

As to the OP, I've never had that situation happen to me, but I use bidnip.com. Has always done right by me. (thumbs u

Gavelsnipe has not failed me before in over a year of use. And why do you keep blaming the sniping software?

It is more likely it was ebay that was "locked up" at the time right before this auction ended. So sitting in front of my computer when the auction ends does not help me if that was the case (which it likely was).

Coincidence?

It's "moral" not "morale". Perhaps you should learn the difference before passing judgment on all of us dirty little snipers that are of such low moral fiber. There is absolutely nothing wrong with sniping or sniping services for that matter. If people don't like sniping, that is your prerogative and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But please get off your high horse and don't call me unethical for something that is a perfectly acceptable and legitimate bidding strategy.

I didn't mean to derail the thread with my post Robert, sorry if that's how it seemed.

As for missing items through eBay locking up, I got up one Sunday morning at 5:20 to bid on a set of raw high grade Preacher 1-4. I waited until the end, I was winning at £23.50 with a max bid of £35.50. I felt this was a decent amount between the two figures in case somebody bid late against me.

With 10 seconds to go I decided to up my bid to £50, and lo and behold eBay said I wasn't logged in and took me to the login page. Of course I missed the end and was beaten to the books, £36.50 being the winning bid.

Not the best Sunday I ever had.

I definitely don't like the "add time with a last-minute-bid" idea.

-slym

yeah, get ready to spend an hour in front of your computer to buy a $20 book if that is the case (like over on ComicConnect)

I definitely don't like the "add time with a last-minute-bid" idea.

yeah, get ready to spend an hour in front of your computer to buy a $20 book if that is the case (like over on ComicConnect)

lol

If it was a live auction, I could understand, but this is a computer program, there is a set time for it to end and everyone knows about it up to 10 days before it ends.

I also do not use sniping programs, but don't have anything against people who do. I just like the manual snipe... it's like a hunt, in a weird, computer-geek sense.

-slym

I didn't mean to derail the thread with my post Robert, sorry if that's how it seemed.

I actually thought it was funny it got derailed lol

It's the board way. Glad to see we are keeping the standard in place. :insane:

Coincidence?

It's "moral" not "morale". Perhaps you should learn the difference before passing judgment on all of us dirty little snipers that are of such low moral fiber. There is absolutely nothing wrong with sniping or sniping services for that matter. If people don't like sniping, that is your prerogative and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But please get off your high horse and don't call me unethical for something that is a perfectly acceptable and legitimate bidding strategy.