• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Burned on my snipe by an ebay "system error"

90 posts in this topic

I bid on a Batman #287 (Penguin) CGC 9.8 last night

Had my snipe set up in Gavelsnipe all week

Last GPA was $355

Tried to snipe it for less

Snipe failed to execute due to "ebay system error"

Winning bid was only $124 (one third of GPA)

My snipe was set a lot higher

I also lost a Worlds Finest at the same time for the same reason

I don't know who should be more mad here :sumo:

Me who loses out on a great book and sees it go for pennies

Or the seller (PLATINUM COMICS) who just lost out big time with no last second snipes on their auctions (I sent them an email)

Just another reason to sell on C-link over ebay :P

Or track the book until the end and don't over-depend on applications to do the work 100% effectively.

Not the first time I am hearing about one of these services failing. The last was a Comico Primer 2 CGC 9.8 that only sold for $555 because the potential high bidder asked one of these services to bid $800. They had an "eBay log-in error" too.

I thought I read something about eBay sometimes refusing to interact with these programs, but that was a year or so again, and the search function here is beyond me.

Or track the book until the end and don't over-depend on applications to do the work 100% effectively.

Not the first time I am hearing about one of these services failing. The last was a Comico Primer 2 CGC 9.8 that only sold for $555 because the potential high bidder asked one of these services to bid $800. They had an "eBay log-in error" too.

If I had to guess which service failed me, I would guess it was ebay that failed, not Gavelsnipe. What's the difference if I can't log into ebay in the last few minutes manually to get my bid in?

Also, the seller reported to me they got low prices for "all" of their auctions ending last night.

Coincidence?

If I had to guess which service failed me, I would guess it was ebay that failed, not Gavelsnipe. What's the difference if I can't log into ebay in the last few minutes manually to get my bid in?

Also, the seller reported to me they got low prices for "all" of their auctions ending last night.

Coincidence?

eBay supposedly blocks these programs because you are sharing your account log-in information, which is a violation of the site EULA.

Only the seller knows how well they faired against their investment into the book. GPA historic sales tracking is not a bible for future sales. It's just a historic reporting tool.

I manually snipe, I have a pretty good system worked out, a very fast and reliable internet connection, and yet my last couple of attempts have failed for the same reason. Maybe there's something new behind the scenes at Ebay? I don't give them enough credit that this could be an intended feature, it's more likely something there is broken and needs fixing.

Word.

Just like in regular auctions houses around the world.....someone places a bid...the auctioneer waits to see if there are any other bids.."Going once, Going twice...SOLD!" That would eliminate putting in ridiculously high bids just to cover your butt if you REALLY want the book BADLY. One shouldn't have to worry about computer programs to do the work for you...if you want the book..be there and bid.

I detest snipe bids.

As a buyer, it's the only way to protect yourself against shill bidding. (Which seems to be rampant on eBay, especially after they started masking bidder IDs.) I'm afraid that adding time to the end of auctions will only make shill bidding worse.

I also like knowing instantly whether I've won an item or not. If my snipe bid is high enough to win the auction or if it isn't, either way I pretty much know immediately. If buyers bid the absloute maximum that they're willing to spend like they're supposed to with proxy bidding, then there's no reason to add time to the end of an auction.

On a related note: eBay has announced that they're going to add a realtime countdown clock to every auction page, so you will know how much time is left to the exact second. That will definitely help with sniping! (thumbs u

I detest snipe bids.

I detest sniping programs, if someone has the time to sit and wait for a comic that they want to enter the last minute, good luck to them, but i have no such patience

They should add a timer so that any bids done in the last minute adds an additional 2 minutes to the auction.

Absolutely. This is the fairest way for people that want the item and the seller of the item. It wouldn't be as good for people that are trying to get low-priced items at the last minute.

They should add a timer so that any bids done in the last minute adds an additional 2 minutes to the auction.

Absolutely. This is the fairest way for people that want the item and the seller of the item. It wouldn't be as good for people that are trying to get low-priced items at the last minute.

The system is just fine as it is. If "the people that want the item" (as opposed to those dirty little snipers) want to win the item, I suggest they bid higher.

The system is just fine as it is. If "the people that want the item" (as opposed to those dirty little snipers) want to win the item, I suggest they bid higher.

(thumbs u :sumo: