• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Convention grading

31 posts in this topic

What is the advantage (if any) of taking comics to a convention to be graded by CGC using on-site grading? I have never been to a comic con and wondering if this would make it worth it. (Chicago this summer)

Keep in mind that 30 books after being slabbed is a pain to carry around or take on a plane. If you are driving that is cool, but think about the return trip before slabbing 100 books.

Save on shipping... not having to worry about untrained personnel handling your books... from you to CGC to you is much better than you to the post office/fedex/OOPS/bangtango guy to CGC to the post office/fedex/OOPS/bangtango guy to you scenario...

The downside is that it costs more.

If you negate the cost of shipping and insurance, I would think it would actually be cheaper up to a certain number of books.

Dang, somebody caught me before I deleted that part. :cry:

Yeah, after I thought more about it, the lack of shipping and insurance costs would more or less offset the higher grading fee.

Awesome question...I am thinking about submitting a few books at the CGC booth at Wizard World in Philly in a few weeks. I was wondering if it'd be worth it...and it sounds like it is. I'm a big big fan of the instant gratification part!

Someone also said you could witness the grading? Really? How does that work, if anyone knows?

Someone also said you could witness the grading? Really? How does that work, if anyone knows?

No, they take it another part of the hotel or some room/tent in the convention center.

3. You get to witness the process.

No, you don't. (tsk)

The Colonel doesn't let you see the 11 herbs and spices, Coca-Cola doesn't give you "The Formula" and you don't get to witness the process.

No, you don't. (tsk)

The Colonel doesn't let you see the 11 herbs and spices, Coca-Cola doesn't give you "The Formula" and you don't get to witness the process.

A. I meant that you get to witness the process of Greggy submitting his romance comics?

B. I was smoking crack when I posted that?

C. What's the deal with Ovaltine? The jar is round... the mug is round... they should call it 'Round-tine'.

No, they take it another part of the hotel or some room/tent in the convention center.

Aw...go getting my hopes all up...lol. Ah well, if I can get my books back in a day, that's totally worth the submission price!

Aw...go getting my hopes all up...lol. Ah well, if I can get my books back in a day, that's totally worth the submission price!

Not always in a day, but you should get them before the end of the convention.

Hmm...sadly, I can only get free to go on Saturday. I'm going first thing, think if I go directly to the CGC area at 10am, I can get them back by the end of the show on Saturday?

No, you don't. (tsk)

A. I meant that you get to witness the process of Greggy submitting his romance comics?

B. I was smoking crack when I posted that?

C. What's the deal with Ovaltine? The jar is round... the mug is round... they should call it 'Round-tine'.

D. All of the above (worship)

Hmm...sadly, I can only get free to go on Saturday. I'm going first thing, think if I go directly to the CGC area at 10am, I can get them back by the end of the show on Saturday?

Depends on how busy they are and how early you get in line. They are doing all tiers at Philly (unlike previous years where they just did moderns). I would call and see if you can arrange something.

Actually I doubt you would get your books back that quickly. I brought mine in on Thusday(Preview night) and couldn't get them until Sunday morning, but that was 2 years ago, maybe they are a little quicker