• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

So, I went to the Layman/Guillory in-store signing at Rogue's Gallery in Round Rock, Texas yesterday.

I made the exscuse to my wife that it was my niece's 1st birthday (who lives in Round Rock) and that if we went she could go shopping at the outlet mall there.

So after a little kids birthday party and way to much money spent at the outlet mall, I made it over to Rogue's Gallery. Spent almost two and a half hours hanging out with and around both John and Rob trying to not be the creepy comic book guy but failing miserably because of being in nerd heaven getting to hang out and chat with the two guys responsible for my absolute favorite book.

Insert picture of me with John.

photo-13.jpg

After having been to a few cons and local signings with the chance to get to meet and speak to a number of creators, let me say, these two guys are the most down to earth, fun to talk to comic creators I've met. John was more than happy to discuss the story with every person that would and Rob sat talking to me and Kris (thecollector) for a good part of the signing.

Also, got to see the first half of issue #7 which I glanced through quickly without reading because I didn't want to spoil it for myself. Also, got to see the cover to #10 and talk about it with both Rob and John and let me say it's really cool. Nice little spoiler right on the cover ;)

Rob was also super-cool about getting sketches for folks. There were a handful of folks asking for some, so I was only able to get one. I can't say how cool Rob was about doing these. People would ask and his response was without hesitation "Sure!". He did a great job on all of them that I saw and took time on all of them to make sure they turned out great.

Here's my Tony Chu

photo-10.jpg

My other big purchase was this page from issue #5 that I loved because it had great shots of both Tony and Savoy

photo-9.jpg

Here's some of the key points from the chat we had last night:

1) John and Rob will most likely not being doing any signings together until SDCC next year.

2) There will not be a Limited Edition Chew #1 with the gold foil as was shown in the preview solicits. John explained it to me as he and Rob didn't want to rip off the fans by charging $10 for a book that there are that have already been that has had as many printings as Chew #1 has.

Part of the discussion on that included Kirman teasing Rob about being an "art snob" which I thought was pretty funny.

3) John has the scripts done all the way through issue 11. Rob said his wife has been reading them, and as someone who is not into comics, she is loving them.

4) In order to make sure that books are making it out on time and that the quality stays as high as it has been, they are looking at moving to a release schedule of 5 monthly issues (arc) and then not putting out a book in the 6th month, but releasing the trade for the 5-issue arc that month, so 10 issues a year with to TPBs. Additionally, John said they are looking at doing a Hardcover edition every 10 issues.

5) John and Rob both read this thread on the boards! :o I thought they were kidding until they started talking about very specific posts. Rob really likes that guys post up the OA pages in here for folks to see and John wanted me to tell every one specifically... "I do have more pages written than there are pages on that thread". I couldn't stop laughing at that. John even said he might pop in from time to time to chat a little with us. I thought that was EXTREMELY cool.

Cool report Jason :applause:

Glad youhad a great time hanging with Rob and John, I'm jealous as ! So on that note, and eseeing as you read this thread messers Layman and Guillory, get to Birmingham Comic Con in Blighty next year! I can make it out there to meet you then. Or better still, get into one of our pathetic LCSs around here, I could spend as long as Jason did geeking out then!

It would be great to see John on the boards. From what I've read there are enough creators have been run out of this place, but if John sticks to this thread he'll be just fine. We'll keep him our big secret :cloud9:

God I'm such a fanboy.

Great story and info. Guys who are promoting creator owned series are always down to earth and personable moreso than your big 2 big page rate or contract guys. IMO, they deserve my money moreso than the big 2 guys anyway.

I got my copy of the trade this week. Now my singles can get a rest.

Cool report Jason :applause:

Glad youhad a great time hanging with Rob and John, I'm jealous as ! So on that note, and eseeing as you read this thread messers Layman and Guillory, get to Birmingham Comic Con in Blighty next year! I can make it out there to meet you then. Or better still, get into one of our pathetic LCSs around here, I could spend as long as Jason did geeking out then!

It would be great to see John on the boards. From what I've read there are enough creators have been run out of this place, but if John sticks to this thread he'll be just fine. We'll keep him our big secret :cloud9:

God I'm such a fanboy.

:gossip: I know it's not the UK, but Italy was mentioned.

Haha im 19. :hi:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. ;)

Sorry to go off topic there....back to Chew. So they're going to be at SDCC? I've never been to a con before but I was planning on going to this one next year, so that's great!

and if you send them an e-mail, April, Rob's wife, sends out an update about once a month with page prices for new pages and any changes on older pages.

Rob also said that they were looking at doing large prints of certain pages and covers to sell.

My favorite page that he still has is the spread from #5 where Savoy bites off Tony's ear.

My favorite page that he still has is the spread from #5 where Savoy bites off Tony's ear.

A pricey piece, but an incredibly awesome double page spread. (thumbs u

was waaaaayyyyyyyyy out of my price range, but looked awesome in purpose, and let's admit it, TJ, you love it because it shows off Savoy's big bushy beard :baiting:

Once again I hate being British meh

I know just how you feel, just how you feel :cry:

cheers for the info it was very informative.

Hopefully John and Rob will get the hint :gossip:

It's the Midlands you want to come to when you eventually get to Blighty. Forget London village!