• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

Yeah heard that. Did you see this article about it:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/04/chew-flash-forwards-to-its-final-issue/

It contains art preview panels for the last issue. Do guys think this series will continue to rise in value even though its a finite series?

I think it will. I believe Layman/Guillory will keep working together after Chew ends.

I think it will end up like "Y The Last Man". Prices will peak, then come down and stay at a level. I don't think Chew is the next WD in terms of prices....Even the WD prices have come down for the keys like 19 and 27....Other than #1, I wouldn't pay big money....

It contains art preview panels for the last issue. Do guys think this series will continue to rise in value even though its a finite series?

I think it will. I believe Layman/Guillory will keep working together after Chew ends.

DomUga, those sure are nice graded copies of Chew #1 (worship)

DomUga, those sure are nice graded copies of Chew #1 (worship)

Why thank you sir, thank you very much.

as a newbie, i wonder if Y and Preacher floppies would be more "in demand" if they had more traditional covers

The big difference between Y, Preacher, Sandman, 100 Bullets, etc (basically any DC/Vertigo series) and the crop of recent Image titles is that the Vertigo focus has always been on keeping books in print - which means large print runs for the first issues and the almost instant availability of trade paperback collections (which are then continuously reprinted). This is great for people who just want to read the series, but from an investment point of view, it severely limits the heights to which the value of the back issues can go.

Image, however, seems to employ a strategy of tiny print runs for single-digit issues (which equals an instant sellout at the distributor level and the free PR that's bound to follow from sites such as Bleeding Cool), multiple reprints of the floppies, and then the trade paperbacks as more of an afterthought. It makes it a lot harder to get into a new series without paying the eBay tax, but also artificially bumps up the back issues market straight from the get-go.

It's very much an apples to oranges comparison.

as a newbie, i wonder if Y and Preacher floppies would be more "in demand" if they had more traditional covers

The big difference between Y, Preacher, Sandman, 100 Bullets, etc (basically any DC/Vertigo series) and the crop of recent Image titles is that the Vertigo focus has always been on keeping books in print - which means large print runs for the first issues and the almost instant availability of trade paperback collections (which are then continuously reprinted). This is great for people who just want to read the series, but from an investment point of view, it severely limits the heights to which the value of the back issues can go.

Image, however, seems to employ a strategy of tiny print runs for single-digit issues (which equals an instant sellout at the distributor level and the free PR that's bound to follow from sites such as Bleeding Cool), multiple reprints of the floppies, and then the trade paperbacks as more of an afterthought. It makes it a lot harder to get into a new series without paying the eBay tax, but also artificially bumps up the back issues market straight from the get-go.

It's very much an apples to oranges comparison.

As always, i appreciate your input as i always tend to learn something from your posts.

i for one am happy to own the hardcover runs for Y, Preacher and Sandman because even though the floppies may be more readily available, their covers do not appeal to me personally.

Scored a full run for $185. Can't wait to read this

Thats a good score. Was it all first printng?

The first is a 3rd but its signed by john layman :)

Ohh nice thats a steal at that price.

If only it could be CGC SS certified :(. So stoked to read them though

I really like the #1 sketch variant, i believe it's from Larry's comic shop, selling on eBay for about 150-200. Whats the deal with this larry's comic shop variant. Would it hold any value or just a over priced maybe $10 variant.

Edited by Jking3437

It wasn't printed at the same time as Chew 1 or I think it would be more desirable too many than a Chew 1 first print.

I'm sorry, I just read this in the Epic Kill thread and couldn't help myself.

The writer doesn't even know which "two" "to" use in the letters pages he wrote "too" to mean "two" or "to" (I can't exactly remember because I didn't want to waste any brain cells on the decision, but it was the final straw and broke my will to read a single issue of the book ever again. In fact, I haven't met a single person who enjoyed this book.