• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Framing

16 posts in this topic

I have been seeing all the digital photo frames over the past couple of years become very popular. Most are 4"-10" frames but I have been seeing larger ones offered. That got me thinking find one the size of a modern comic art page, hang it up and have the scans placed on a memory stick. This way you can display more art even if you don't have the wall space (I live in a small cottage).

I looked around and Found a 19" with a black frame, image size it 16 x 10, (19.3 x 13.3 with frame), 1440x 900. It does mount right on the wall looks like it can be mounted either way. Made more for advertising and video and the price is a bit high. But figure in the number of pieces you can show off and its easy to change them

Plazmax 19" Black Digital Frame

I am really thinking of getting one, I will still frame my favorite pieces but think its a great way to display the others I don't have space or don't want to fame or other pieces I like more.Has anyone gotten one of the digital frames to display art?

I figure the price it the cost of 2-3 framings. So if you have limited space and want to have more than just your top end pieces on display might be a good option. Yes some tvs let you show images but this hangs on the wall and looks like a traditional framed piece of art. You just don't have to worry about UV light effecting the art.

It sounds like a cool idea at first. I bought my wife a digital frame to show pictures like alot of people have done but she ended up not using it too much because it was somehow distracting after awhile. I think the art would lose some of its appeal being reprsented digitally instead of framed and not flashing/rotating thru different pictures. It would be too "busy" I think. Just my initial reaction today to the idea.

I am not looking to do a slide show, more of have one image up at a time. Maybe for a few days, or weeks.

That's a good idea. It would be hard to have it rotating through too many image. to fit a 13x19 digital frame and be clear it would have to be a hi-res scan to the point that I am not sure how many image you could fit on the sd card comfortably.

C

I would think that an EXTREMELY high res scan would be 100 megs. You can get an 8 gig memory card relatively cheap and that would support 80 images. Keep in mind that 100 megs is probably waaaaay waaaay overkill. I would think 10 megs would be great and 1 meg would be sufficient.

I saw this one on ebay and I kind of liked it. This one accepts sd memory cards. I would just really like to see one in person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120416940676&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

Well, sure. If you want to get technical about it. lol

I was just trying to show that you can get a lot of images on there. However, 1400x900 is almost exactly 1 meg. With even a measly 2 gig memory card, that is a TON of images (2k).

I would set it to change daily so that it isn't too bizzy. I still really want to see what it looks like in person but I am so impulsive, I might just buy it soon anyhow. :)

If I read the auction description correctly it says the rated life of the frame is only 2.25 years if on 24/7. Would you be turning your artwork on and off all the time? Just playing devils advocate...still might be a cool idea.

If I read the auction description correctly it says the rated life of the frame is only 2.25 years if on 24/7. Would you be turning your artwork on and off all the time? Just playing devils advocate...still might be a cool idea.

No reason to have it running at night or when you are not home. (shrug)

So you can probably triple that life span taking out sleeping and work hours.

C

When I got into OA I decided I was only going to buy what I could frame and enjoy every day.

Yeah, that didn't work.

But for me - putting up a digital frame is the same as framing a xerox. If I wanted to do that, I could have saved myself a LOT of money.

I'll stick with the real thing up on the walls and enjoy my digital copies on CAF.

But for me - putting up a digital frame is the same as framing a xerox. If I wanted to do that, I could have saved myself a LOT of money.

I'll stick with the real thing up on the walls and enjoy my digital copies on CAF.

I have a Salvador Dali litho that I have framed. It isn't an original but it looks spectacular. I just wonder how the art will present digitally. I get what you are saying though. I was worried about displaying one of my covers because it is done in pencils and I thought about making a copy. I went with displaying the original because it will lose some luster to me if it was just a copy.

I don't frame zeroxes and I don't look at this as the same thing. More like a frame into my CAF GAllery. The digital frame I showed does let you get times that it will turn itself off. I don't want to replace what original art I have framed but to add to it. I have been collecting for over 20 years. I don't have the wall space or $$ to frame it all. Many of the pages I wouldn't spend the $$ on to frame anyways, Just those special pieces to I frame. For me its just something to let me see my art while I sit in my living room or den.