• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Inker Over Penciller

20 posts in this topic

Supa's call of Al Milgrom over Frank Miller's PPSS 27 and 28 made me think of the Worst Inker over Penciller thread.

My call would be Vince Coletta over Mike Grell in Warlord. Especially 16. ewwww.

BB13,

my bad, i was too lazy to check my copy, but once again you are the bronze master. the inker on PP 27 & 28 was done by frank spriner, i sincerely apologize to al milgrom and his fans. on the other hand, frank springer.....you ruined miller's pencils! mad.gif

pimpy

Yeah, Colletta over anybody in the late 70's DC. (Although Vince got a bum rap for his fine work over Kirby in the early Fourth World books, by 1977 or so he was trying to finish way too many books as DC's art director).

My other choice is Frank Chiarmonte (spelling?) over, for example, Curt Swan. Never understood why any book inked by Frank C. had those odd "halo" effects whenever a figure was shown against a black background. It was as if all the colorists were afraid to add color too close to Frank's inks... crazy.gif

Anybody know what was really going on there? confused.gif

Cheers,

Z.

Janson on Miller was pretty sweet too.

I liked the Moore Swampthing combo of Bissitte and Tottleben although I don't know exactly who did what. I recall there was something atypical about how they shared the pencil and inking chores help?

Love Gil Kane, but did not care for thick felt tip inker Gil Kane on Gil Kane pencils

same thing with Byrne...Byrne inking Byrne is a far cry from Austin on Byryne.

If anyone ever starts a worst marvel artist ever thread, I think Al Milgrom wins hands down. His covers and penciling work in the late 80's and 90's is a horror to look at even today. The epitome of HACK.

odin88... I thought that was Ed Hannigan who did the PPTSS issues 64, 69 and 70. Milgrom jumped on later, and devolved as time went on. I think his stuff was so bad because Marvel knew he could be fast, and used him for every rush job that came along. frown.gif

I think his stuff was so bad because Marvel knew he could be fast, and used him for every rush job that came along.

100% true. He saved marvel's on a regular basis.