• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction Advisory

22 posts in this topic

Hi guys -

This auction

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140324856567&_trksid=p2761.l1259 (if link doesn't work, search for - Tony Daniel Batman RIP cover inked by David Rivera)

is NOT for published art. The inker got a copy of the art and inked it. I e-mailed the seller about this and he confirmed that this was not a published cover.

I suggested that the seller amend the auction description to include the fact that the auction is for an unpublished version of the cover, but, as of this writing, he had not yet included that fact in the auction description.

Hopefully current and future bidders read these boards and can make a more educated decision with regard to this auction.

Best regards all.

- A

Good catch Artemis.

Buyer Beware.

If you look closely at the image, he even inked Tony Daniel's name on the art which implies that it was Tony's art and part of the publishing process. I hate when that happens. I hope the seller is not the "inker" David Rivera.

Albert Moy unofficially reps Tony Daniel, at least for his Batman art, these days. The published cover is on Albert's site.

Cheers!

N

Thanks for the warning and shame on the seller. His discription could certainly be much clearer. Doesn't ship to Canada either. Tsk tsk.

I sent him an email asking him too change the description, heres what he sent me

"Hello, This was one of the inked sample pieces of the actual cover that David did for DC Comics. It's done professionally on actual 11x17 comic board, but DC did not use it. No where in the auction does it say that it is the "original cover" or "original published cover" it is original inked artwork done by professional inker David Rivera, AND nothing is going to change. Thanks!"

Notice how he wrote "nothing is going to change"? What a piece of work this jerk is.

Thanks for the warning and shame on the seller. His discription could certainly be much clearer. Doesn't ship to Canada either. Tsk tsk.

I sent him an email asking him too change the description, heres what he sent me

"Hello, This was one of the inked sample pieces of the actual cover that David did for DC Comics. It's done professionally on actual 11x17 comic board, but DC did not use it. No where in the auction does it say that it is the "original cover" or "original published cover" it is original inked artwork done by professional inker David Rivera, AND nothing is going to change. Thanks!"

Notice how he wrote "nothing is going to change"? What a piece of work this jerk is.

This is very similar to the response the seller gave me when I e-mailed him and asked him to amend his description early this morning.

The concern that I have is that someone has committed to pay some money for something that may not be what they think it is. Of course, I don't have a problem if someone is interested in paying that kind of money for an unused inked blueline that appears to be one of the inker's try-out pages for DC. But if this is the case, then it should be described as such, especially on eBay.

Thanks to everyone who is e-mailing the seller and trying to get him to provide a more accurate auction description.

Best regards.

- Artemis

Update - seller posted a response to a question which notes that the cover is not the original posted art. While I would prefer that this information be contained in the text of the auction itself, the seller can now say that the information is included in the auction.

Interestingly, the bid amount increased since this morning.

Best regards to all.

- A

Not that I'm a complete expert, but this guy is running another auction;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140324865909&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

that looks not very much like any Olliffe I've seen through his career. And the signature also looks nothing like Pat Olliffe's to my eye.

I sent a question to the seller about the authenticity of the piece, but have yet to hear a response.

Brian

A little research and I think this piece is by an artist named pat quinn. His signature matches to a tee. It seems this eBay seller is either clueless, or utterly shady....

Update - seller posted a response to a question which notes that the cover is not the original posted art. While I would prefer that this information be contained in the text of the auction itself, the seller can now say that the information is included in the auction.

Interestingly, the bid amount increased since this morning.

Best regards to all.

- A

That's my question. Well, glad he anwered it.

Ended at over $250 for an unpublished inked copy.

The buyer had four (4) feedbacks. While I hope they understood what they were buying, experiences like this one (assuming the buyer figures it out later) are learning mistakes that one hopes could be avoided with the information readily available on the internet now.

Thanks to everyone who alerted the seller, eBay, etc.

Best regards.

- A

The buyer had four (4) feedbacks. While I hope they understood what they were buying, experiences like this one (assuming the buyer figures it out later) are learning mistakes that one hopes could be avoided with the information readily available on the internet now.

Best regards.

- A

Doesn't seem like a crazy price for this.

Best regards.

- A

Doesn't seem like a crazy price for this.

Hard to say. I certainly wouldn't pay it.

If you are just getting an inked blue line there are a dozen really good inkers that would ink a blue line for you for $100-150.

Heck you could get Kevin Nowlan for $350-ish.

So it's on the top end for a guy that's not a household name.

C

Definitely too much...I agree. And also way to much for someone with intensions of fooling someone in the first place.

Yeah, probably on the high side. What do you think the original cover would have went for? It sold on Albert Moy's site (I think that's where it was at). Anyone know what it went for.

Ok, looks like it was listed at $3200. That would at least infer that the buyer knew he wasn't getting an original. Maybe I'm just making assumptions.

With eBay, I don't know whether it is safe to assume that the buyer knows anything outside of exactly what is listed in the auction itself. Which is why the seller's posting of the question you presented was so important.

Best regards.

- A