• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales #80 - Slab Worthy ???

5 posts in this topic

I was digging deep into the archives today and pulled out this copy of Strange Tales #80 from Jan. 1961 Most of my stuff doesn't go back this far so I'm curious to hear the Forums opinion on the grade and whether it's worth sending in for grading. It's pre-superhero with a Ditko art main story "Gargantus" and three backup stories including another one by Ditko, one by Reinman and one that's not credited. The cover has the publish date in pen "1961", there's some wear along the spine, interior pages are off-white and it lays nice and flat with no spine roll. I think it might grade VG+ or maybe VG/F.

Is it worth sending in if I were to go for the Collector's Society offer and what do you think the delta in the value might be. The OS guide lists it at 36 in VG and 54 in Fine and credits Kirby for art in the issue

strangetales80.jpg

strangetales80bk.jpg

Thanks for your comments

Dave H

If it's only worth $40 in VGF why spend $25 to slab it? confused.gif

Best to sell it raw as a nice reading copy if you are looking to sell it.

-MHO

Thanks for the feedback, I think my question is more like does a pro graded pre superhero marvel book a little better than VG draw enough of an increase in value to cover the slabbing cost? From your response I guess not

Dave H

GP has two sales:

9.0 for $300 (128% of NM book)

7.0 for $115 (125% of FVF book)

If you get 125% of VGF book = $45 x 1.25 = $56.25

$56.25 - $25.00 fee (not counting shipping tongue.gif) ~$30

I think you would make more than $30 selling raw my friend. thumbsup2.gif