• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC comics.... hot or not?

37 posts in this topic

I keep getting outbid on nice midgrade copies of Weird Science 20. As some of the other guys said...keep a few choice ones for yourself. I had a small collection of decent Everett Atlas books that I recently turned over, but I kept the Menace 1 and the Venus 18...my favorites, and I'm glad I did.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. What part of Va. are you in ?

It's funny, I'm toying with the idea of selling, too. However, I would definetly keep my Kurtzman titles, which are NOT HOT. (I think Mad still sells okay, tho.)

It lines up perfect for me; sell the Crime and Horror, which don't really move me, and keep the War!

ECs in high grade are not hot because of the many gaines file copies. I am always happily surprised at how well GVG-FN horror titles do though.

As for the point about whether horror will ever be hot again, all signs seem to point to unlikely, but what traditionally happens is when superhero comics get too expensive, horror looks like a bargain and they pick up dramatically. That seems to be the way the pendulum has been swinging.

Wow. this really comes a shock to me. I have been wanting to get started collecting some horror EC books for a long time. It seems now is as good a time as any. Of course the books I would be looking for would be rather LG. Even a "not hot" EC book in Fine or better is out of my range.

show the VG's some luv (thumbs u

:cloud9:

What I am getting from this thread is that EVERYONE that collects these comics has a soft spot that is different from the next collector. That makes for me a healthy market especially if the price is right. Many years ago, I had a friend that got me seriously into APPRECIATING the ECs but unfortunately, he got a divorce and had to sell his comics. I bought them from him and had enough respect for his efforts that I kept them intact as a collection and in fact, combined them with what I had amassed. I never really had an attachment to them other than from a rarity position.

With business being lackluster, and several other things I find that the money is looking better than the comics are. On top of it , last week, we had nonstop rainy weather and the roof in our warehouse leaked very badly. We lost at least 45 boxes of stuff. It is time to try to seize the opportunity to right my ship.

What I am getting from this thread is that EVERYONE that collects these comics has a soft spot that is different from the next collector. That makes for me a healthy market especially if the price is right. Many years ago, I had a friend that got me seriously into APPRECIATING the ECs but unfortunately, he got a divorce and had to sell his comics. I bought them from him and had enough respect for his efforts that I kept them intact as a collection and in fact, combined them with what I had amassed. I never really had an attachment to them other than from a rarity position.

With business being lackluster, and several other things I find that the money is looking better than the comics are. On top of it , last week, we had nonstop rainy weather and the roof in our warehouse leaked very badly. We lost at least 45 boxes of stuff. It is time to try to seize the opportunity to right my ship.

What a bummer. :sorry:

Sounds lousy, dude. Well, I collect ECs almost exclusively and I am sure there are many others here with want lists that would match your goods.

EC's are classic books!! I think with the reprints and such, there will always be a new generation of fans for them. I count myself in with this crowd. The single reprints in the 90's are what got me back into collecting. I discovered the amazing "Ghastly" Ingels and my first EC was Haunt of Fear 25! Great subtle cover! I I spent a decade casually tracking down all the reprints and have started picking up the originals for my favorite Ingels covers!!

If you decide to sell and have a Panic #3 in fine or better let me know. For some reason I've had trouble tracking that issue down.

I agree with everyone else though, aside fron the Gaines copies, the prices don't seem to be all that great on them right now. I think there are quite a few EC collectors out there, but there aren't really many new ones showing up so a lot of people are at the point of just filling gaps now.

I keep getting outbid on nice midgrade copies of Weird Science 20. As some of the other guys said...keep a few choice ones for yourself. I had a small collection of decent Everett Atlas books that I recently turned over, but I kept the Menace 1 and the Venus 18...my favorites, and I'm glad I did.GOD BLESS...

Weird Science 20 has one of the best-ever stories -- "50 Girls 50." I think that could be my all-time favorite EC sci-fi story, with a terrific double-double-cross plotline and gorgeous artwork. The last sentence is haunting, with the protagonist having an important realization, all too late.

If you decide to sell and have a Panic #3 in fine or better let me know. For some reason I've had trouble tracking that issue down.

I agree with everyone else though, aside fron the Gaines copies, the prices don't seem to be all that great on them right now. I think there are quite a few EC collectors out there, but there aren't really many new ones showing up so a lot of people are at the point of just filling gaps now.

Is Panic #3 the one with the Beethoven bust (or something like that)? That is a tough one to find. Those are a great little alternate-universe sister to Mad...

Regarding EC comics, the ones I really want are the ones that never show up. I'd really like to track down a few of those Moon Girl comics, especially that one containing EC's first horror story.

Another hard-to-find EC comic I'd like to get is Modern Love #7, which has a story about a man whose family won't let him be with the woman he loves because she's Mexican. I just want to READ that... (and the Cochran reprints of that title are nearly as rare as the original comics.) How many other romance comics addressed racism back then? I can't think of any.

I'm also partial to the Feldstein style of drawing women, which you can see on his early comics like "A Moon, A Girl...Romance." I think it's #10 or so that has a particularly racy cover situation. Of course, Feldstein always draws women wearing tops that are a leetle too tight for them. I think Feldstein, Baker and Kamen must have belonged to the same breast-appreciation club or something.

One other thing: I never realized the sheer wealth of great cover artwork that EC did in their line of Western comics (much of it by Graham Ingels). Before he became known for melting faces and cobwebbed dungeons, Ingels was a heck of an olde-West illustrator. You can practically taste the dust kicking up from the stagecoach wheels.

I am thinking of selling my EC collection which is extensive and am wondering whether it is a good time to do so. Thoughts?

What have you got?

I really want a Tales from the Crypt 25.

I am thinking of selling my EC collection which is extensive and am wondering whether it is a good time to do so. Thoughts?

What have you got?

I really want a Tales from the Crypt 25.

Let the record show that I'd be a buyer as well. I'm in the market for sci-fi and war.

I did not have a fine or better Panic 3, WS 20 , TFTC 25, Vault of horrors in the 30s.... I did look for them All of those books are really tough to get apparently. I was missing them also.......Hmmmm. (shrug)

I did not have a fine or better Panic 3, WS 20 , TFTC 25, Vault of horrors in the 30s.... I did look for them All of those books are really tough to get apparently. I was missing them also.......Hmmmm. (shrug)

Do you have a fine or better TwoFisted Tales 32? I'm having trouble finding one that isn't 9.0 and $350...