• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic covers that made you read the comic

6 posts in this topic

I had to buy this one when I saw the cover. It just grabbed me -- what the $^@*!@*# is Spider-Man's costume doing in the 31st century? Who/what is the Spider-Man of Mars?

I eagerly read it. No actual Spidey app. Just his ragtag costume and an empty Spidey crypt! Spidey was referred to as "He who was The Last To Fall!" Cool stuff. But overall, horrible writing! smile.gif

This one called out to me like some of the old gimmick BA and SA covers.

Share some of your own examples of covers that made you buy the comic!

Guardians of the Galaxy #54. And BTW, does anyone know what happens in the next issue? It appears that the villain, Ripjak, has some relationship with Spidey... now I've gotta find GOTG #55! smile.gif

352693-gotg54.jpg

352693-gotg54.jpg.b0c5e0d0b5aa281446d97a545f55e548.jpg

... does anyone know what happens in the next issue? It appears that the villain, Ripjak, has some relationship with Spidey... now I've gotta find GOTG #55! smile.gif

352693-gotg54.jpg

SPOILER WARNING (Well, you asked)

In the next issue naturally there's a battle. Aleta, Yondu and Talon get beat up by Ripjak.

Conveniently, they come across his diary.

After Mars conquered Earth, they had a plague. While everyone else felt a bacteria on Earth was the cause as it was in the first invasion, Ripjack felt the cure would be found on Earth because of some tests he did. (They don't give us any detail on the tests) Anyway, for some other reason, he felt the cure revolved around Peter Parker's body, which was preserved inside some type of "war memorial". He disconnected something called the "eternal heart" and had a hypothesis the radioactive blood in Parker's body would be the cure. Only hundreds of Martians were left when he used himself as a test subject. It worked.

The blood began a long mutation process that did make him look more bi-pedal, so he had his "lab droids" manufacture the battle suit he now wears. Unfortuneatly, while all this was happening...all his fellow Martians died. So, like the Guardians .. he is the last surviving member of a race of beings. He is also the first super-powered Martian.

After the battle, Ripjack moves on to the next planet he has to obliterate. While in transit, he discovers the Guardians listened to his history and as a result he has to kill them in order for his origins to remain secret. He blows up the area they are in and you'll have to read the next issue to see if they survived. My guess? Yeah, I think so.

However, the planet Aron IV is no more as it becomes Ripjack's next victim.

Nah, I grabbed the issue I bought back in 1994 and re-read it. And...the story of Ripjack doesn't end there as there is a strong suggestion that we may not know all there is to know about the character. My guess is the Guardians continue on after this guy. So....you might have to buy a few more issues. grin.gif