• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most Valuable Marvel or DC Modern?

37 posts in this topic

DC has a couple of standout issues that still sell phenomenally well (and without any real explanation): Birds of Prey #8 (and don't give me that nonsensical "Nightwing and Oracle go on a date" nonsense. Fanboys DO NOT care that someone goes on a date with someone else. It just happened to be a decent crossover for a wildly underprinted book, and it stuck) and Green Arrow #101 (cause Oliver ain't dead.) Harley Quinn (as opposed to Harley Yee) books (Bats Adventures #12, Mad Love, and Batman: Harley Quinn) do ok, too.

Are you considering BoP #8 a crossover because Nightwing is in it?

That's the standard definition of the word "crossover", yes.

It is not a crossover in terms of storyline that I am aware of, so I am curious about your statement.

So....Nightwing does NOT appear in the book, only the cover...?

Or are you limiting the definition of the word "crossover" to only include "working together to fight crime" and/or "battling each other because of some soon-to-be-resolved misunderstanding"?

Also, it is a low print run and I disagree with your statement. There are and Babs fans that purchase that issue because they are shippers of this relationship. That is a key reason I believe why this book fluctuates so much on eBay. I have seen it go for a mere $20 upwards to $75.

What does the phrase "shippers of this relationship" mean...?

So....Nightwing does NOT appear in the book, only the cover...?

Or are you limiting the definition of the word "crossover" to only include "working together to fight crime" and/or "battling each other because of some soon-to-be-resolved misunderstanding"?

He might be thinking of it in terms of a "crossover between titles", meaning the storyline starts in one and continues in the other. Which is not what happened here, if I remember correctly.

In that sense, Nightwings' appearance in BoP #8 is simply a "guest appearance" and not a "crossover".

We're getting hung up on terminology. Overstreet has used the word "crossover" (or, more correctly, "x-over") to refer to an appearance by an established character or set of characters in another character's or set of characters' title, without need for a corresponding appearance in the opposite title.

Amazing Spiderman #16 is called a "x-over", but there is no corresponding Spiderman appearance in DD at the same time. Same with FF #28,etc etc.

This is how I use the word "crossover", but it truly doesn't matter. If "appearance" is preferred, then modify my statement to "appearance" rather than "crossover", and my point remains.

We're getting hung up on terminology. Overstreet has used the word "crossover" (or, more correctly, "x-over") to refer to an appearance by an established character or set of characters in other character's or set of characters' title, without need for a corresponding appearance in the opposite title.

Amazing Spiderman #16 is called a "x-over", but there is no corresponding Spiderman appearance in DD at the same time. Same with FF #28,etc etc.

This is how I use the word "crossover", but it truly doesn't matter. If "appearance" is preferred, then modify my statement to "appearance" rather than "crossover", and my point remains.

I don't necessarily disagree with your usage of the word. In most cases like this one, I use either "crossover" or "appearance" interchangeably.

And I definitely agree with your point about BoP #8 and the reasons it shot up in value. (thumbs u

Never heard of the term "crossover" used when referring to characters under one universe but that's just me. I have the issue but have not read it yet as I am still collecting the series. Nightwing appears in other BoP issues as well as Babs in Nightwing and I don't really see those issues skyrocketing.

Scroll down to what shipper means.

http://www.netlingo.com/dictionary/s.php

Never heard of the term "crossover" used when referring to characters under one universe but that's just me.

Yeah, that is just you. (thumbs u

Get thee to an Overstreet!

I have the issue but have not read it yet as I am still collecting the series. Nightwing appears in other BoP issues as well as Babs in Nightwing and I don't really see those issues skyrocketing.

BOP #8 is valuable for two connected reasons: #1. it was heavily pimped by Wizard. Had Wizard ignored it, it wouldn't be worth any more than #7 or #9. However, unlike most books that are pimped by Wizard....#2. BOP #8 had a low enough print run to "stick." it was a self-fulfilling prophecy, in other words, and for the most tenuous of reasons: a "date" between Grayson and Babs.

Scroll down to what shipper means.

http://www.netlingo.com/dictionary/s.php

I'd rather you just explain what you meant. (thumbs u

If we had the collector base that we had in 1993, those books would be $500 books....no foolin'. But we don't, so they're not.

----------------------

Nahhh, they'd be worth more than now, but I think the internet suppresses all of this because 150,000 junior dealers can put their stuff up at once as opposed to the good old days where you had 5-10 mail order places, your LCSes and conventions. collectors in 1993 didn't appreciate the lack of liquiduty of their collectibles back then, which is less of an issue now.

while the internet may actually help drive up stuff that's really HTF (because 150,000 collectors can now bid rather than your limited market in 1993), I think the opposite is true of most stuff available in large quantities.

Not "very valuable", but for whaever reason, if Powell ever starts publishing them again, aside from being fun reads, I think the Goon books have a good shot at maintain value above cover price. While some issues got overordered, my LCS rarely ever got stuck with extras, nor did other shops around me. for whatever reason, it's not an overordered book. perhaps due to lack of variants and shops ordering extra copies to qualify for extra variants.

If we had the collector base that we had in 1993, those books would be $500 books....no foolin'. But we don't, so they're not.

----------------------

Nahhh, they'd be worth more than now, but I think the internet suppresses all of this because 150,000 junior dealers can put their stuff up at once as opposed to the good old days where you had 5-10 mail order places, your LCSes and conventions. collectors in 1993 didn't appreciate the lack of liquiduty of their collectibles back then, which is less of an issue now.

while the internet may actually help drive up stuff that's really HTF (because 150,000 collectors can now bid rather than your limited market in 1993), I think the opposite is true of most stuff available in large quantities.

Yeah, that's a fair point. We should never forget the revolutionary impact that the internet in general, and eBay in particular, has had on the collectibles markets.

:)

However...most of the books mentioned had very small print runs. If an Ultimate Spiderman #1 can sell for $150+ for years in the collector base we have now, I don't think $500 or more for certain key issues is out of the question, provided we have the same collector/buyer base we had in 1993. That is, if the same numbers were to flood back into the market right now, while every other factor remains constant, I don't doubt that lots of books from the late 90's/2000's would rapidly escalate to crazy values.