• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine #1 (1982) sells for $15,000+

226 posts in this topic

To me paying over $100 for this book is...

RETARDED!!!!

:tonofbricks:

Go tell someone outside of the hobby how much you've spent, in total, on your sweet ASM run, and you'll get that same reaction.

RETARDED!!!!

$3800 > $100

The guy who paid $3800 and resold it for $15,000 is not that retarded 2c

how many times do you think it would sell at that price????

I am sure everyone here is scratching there heads on that one.

I may be wrong, but the buy won't be able to sell for more than that

in the next 40 years, and you can take that to the bank.

Anyway, if the buyer became flat broke and needed to flip this book

and was offering it for 7k (half of what he paid) would anyone here "really" buy it????

I mean if some one sold a glass of lemonade for a cool million, do we really think it

will sell again for THAT price????

hm

Yes, one time I was made fun of at work when I told some people of "my sweet deal on Hulk 181 for 350 bucks"..needless to say, I don't talk about my private hobby there anymore but, sometimes you just can't contain yourself. But in the Wolverine 1 case, it seems crazy, even for people within the hobby, that's sooo nutz!

RETARDED!!!!

Go tell someone outside of the hobby how much you've spent, in total, on your sweet ASM run, and you'll get that same reaction.

there is a HUGE difference to some thing selling ONCE,

than one that flips one a constant basis.

Come on you know that!

Those books that I buy flip for those prices constantly

(not to mean they always will) but surely you would think they would have

more lasting monetary footing that an Uber HG modern???

:baiting::P

Seriously, I feel like a broken record here, but you can't just write something off as insane or stupid without knowing who the buyer is, why they bought the book, and what 15K means to them. It would be stupid for me, not only financially, but also because I typically don't get off on anything higher than a 9.6, but I can't judge the buyer.

You're not sounding like a broken record, but it is still a crazy price to the average person that sells or buys comics.

I do get your point that if Gene Simmons, on a whim, decided to surprise his son with some super high-grade books, the guy could clean out a large portion of the market and not even think twice about it.

But the seller just made an investment turn into gold quicker than they probably expected. Otherwise, this could have been another one of those ComicLink-like threads - buys at $3,800 and sells at much less.

I guess it's just the state of our hobby these days. Take a "perfect" condition copy of a worthless book (relatively) and it's worth $15,000. :screwy: I'll stick with my raw 9.0-9.2's :)

No doubt this Uber HG CGC frenzy reminds me too much of the

nutso fever for glow in the dark, trifold glossy, embossed diamond cut covers of the 90's...

I have a bad feeling that the CGC 10 moderns in the future will be sitting on the sale racks

next to the upteen copies of Wetworks, Wildcats, Spawn dollar boxes.

Not to talk trash on those that collect these in hopes of the big investment,

I just don't believe that HG moderns no matter how rare have a future.

:P

I have alot of credit on one of my cards I use to buy books and :acclaim: I WAS THE HIGHEST BIDDER on this book but HA.com has some dumb rule on how much you can charge on your card so I had to retrack my bid :boo: and lost this book forever. Darn stupid rules they have. I could of been the insufficiently_thoughtful_person :insane: who this post is about but still :screwy: average Keldog everyone knows me as.

It is really the ultimate in the "buy the label" game. I am a pretty solid high end grader, and I know a CGC 9.8 from a 9.6 on a modern book as well as anyone in this game...but if you have been doing this for a while, you know there is not a human on the planet who can tell a CGC 9.9 from a 10.0 on a standard book from 1982. It is all whim and luck.

That said, you have to have a huge amount of faith in the CGC product name to shell out that kind of cash. Look at CGG (PGX). You lose a little perceived integrity and your 10.0 aint worth the paper it is printed on.

If CGC ever is scandalized or goes out of business, then that 10.0 will be worth NADA...but your Batman #1 CGC 2.0 will still be just fine.

RETARDED!!!!

there is a HUGE difference to some thing selling ONCE,

than one that flips one a constant basis.

Come on you know that!

Those books that I buy flip for those prices constantly

(not to mean they always will) but surely you would think they would have

more lasting monetary footing that an Uber HG modern???

:baiting::P

Again, you're looking at this purchase through your paradigm of the hobby. The logic through which you rationalize your collecting habits will not apply to every collector.

You are able to justify spending thousands of dollars on your ASM run by telling yourself you can always sell them and get the money back. If that weren't the case, you would probably have collected lower or mid grade copies instead. To someone outside of the hobby, you could simply settle for a lower grade run and put the extra money to what they may consider to be better use. Collecting in any capacity will leave you susceptible to criticism, regardless of how you do it.

What if money wasn't an issue for this buyer? What if this person gets a thrill out of owning the "best" copy out of his/her favorite book of all time? Although I think it's a minority among the high grade segment of the hobby, there are collectors who buy expensive book with truly disposable income. For someone who isn't worried about resale, spending 15K on a Wolverine #1 or buying 15,000 $1 books would be equally inconsequential. A sunk cost is a sunk cost, regardless of the actual book or books in question.

It is really the ultimate in the "buy the label" game. I am a pretty solid high end grader, and I know a CGC 9.8 from a 9.6 on a modern book as well as anyone in this game...but if you have been doing this for a while, you know there is not a human on the planet who can tell a CGC 9.9 from a 10.0 on a standard book from 1982. It is all whim and luck.

That said, you have to have a huge amount of faith in the CGC product name to shell out that kind of cash. Look at CGG (PGX). You lose a little perceived integrity and your 10.0 aint worth the paper it is printed on.

If CGC ever is scandalized or goes out of business, then that 10.0 will be worth NADA...but your Batman #1 CGC 2.0 will still be just fine.

:applause::golfclap::applause:

I wish I'd bought that 10 when it sold for around $3800....argh.

Imagine how upset the guy who sold it for $3800 is. :sorry:

Maybe a collection should be taken up for him. :idea:

:roflmao:

C

Oh, you're naughty.

;)

At least the guy didn't leave any money on the able by not getting it pressed....

:insane:

It's only a matter of time....

ItGoesto11.jpg

It's funny that on a message board where so many claim to be collecting with disposable income, price and future viability play such a prominent role in evaluating the "sanity" of these record breaking transactions.

I would argue that paying 15K for a Wolverine #1 with disposable income is much more "sane" than spending 15K on an AF 15, and spending 2 years paying it off. I'm in the minority, obviously, as I believe that most of you would applaud the latter.

C

Oh, you're naughty.

;)

At least the guy didn't leave any money on the able by not getting it pressed....

ItGoesto11.jpg

that's not the actual book with the 10 being photoshopped is it? the book doesn't even have WHITE pages!?!?! :screwy:

C

Oh, you're naughty.

;)

ItGoesto11.jpg

spinal-tap.jpg

ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

It's funny that on a message board where so many claim to be collecting with disposable income, price and future viability play such a prominent role in evaluating the "sanity" of these record breaking transactions.

I would argue that paying 15K for a Wolverine #1 with disposable income is much more "sane" than spending 15K on an AF 15, and spending 2 years paying it off. I'm in the minority, obviously, as I believe that most of you would applaud the latter.

My "disposable income" is not garbage to be burned. It is money, and like all my money I try to spend it wisely. I agree, putting comics on credit cards is huge mistake in most cases, but you should not imply that a questionable purchase is not questionable if made with disposable income. Correct me if am wrong, but that seems to be your arguement here??

(shrug)

My "disposable income" is not garbage to be burned. It is money, and like all my money I try to spend it wisely. I agree, putting comics on credit cards is huge mistake in most cases, but you should not imply that a questionable purchase is not questionable if made with disposable income. Correct me if am wrong, but that seems to be your arguement here??

(shrug)

I agree. A person can do with their money as they wish but I would posit that someone who makes this kind of purchase has a skewed perspective and is not likely very wise with his money regardless of how much he may have.