• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine #1 (1982) sells for $15,000+

226 posts in this topic

I wonder if the buyer knows about SCS. I would be very hesitant to send that book through the mail.

:whistle:

I wonder if the buyer knows about SCS. I would be very hesitant to send that book through the mail.

Holy flubber, Batman! It's not only the same song and dance, but it has the same exact lyrics every, single, time...

*Bring in the morality props and cue the pressing without disclosure chorus.*

Chris, you're a special part of the song. I'll start calling your part the "Oom papa, mow mow". hm

I have a friend who makes maybe $50-$70k per year

He goes to Vegas alone 2 or 3 times a year and EXPECTS to lose about $5000 a year

He considers it entertainment for his money, and vacation time

Each time he goes, he gambles until his budgeted amount is gone

Now compared to him, I would rather spend $15,000 for Wolverine #1 because at least I would still have the comic at the end of the day

But here is my point .........

He is not a billionaire

He is not a millionaire

I doubt he has much in savings

And yet he can still spend $5,000 a year on what most of us would consider "crazy" and it does not bother him one bit

Actually, I see nothing wrong with this at all, if he was only going 1 time a year. 3x times is a little :screwy: Please have your friend call me, I'll invite him over to our next poker home game. To be honest tho, if he has fun doing it, then why should you care? My friend makes fun of me for hitting Starbucks twice or three times a week, buying my $3-4 iced' coffee. I know what it adds up to by the end of the year,and honestly I dont' care if I've been careful with money in other matters.

. As Chris mentioned, it's almost as if most of the people here are so hard wired to look at comics as investments, that they can't possibly conceive that someone may be buying something with no thought to resale or profit.

This concept is so important, I feel it must be stated over and over again until people get it in their heads.

There are going to be more and more and more sales like this by buyers who just don't care about the possibility of reselling at a later date.

We just haven't noticed it in comics because the sales haven't been "crazy enough" yet.

A Harbinger #1 sold for $2500 in March of 2008. Most people that I talked to about it were flabbergasted at that price, and some people thought it was downright foolish. The winning bidder, a friend of mine, has absolutely no regrets, and, in fact, was willing to bid substantially higher. He has absolutely zero intention of selling it, and had zero thought of profit or potential resale.

He wanted it...he had a budget...and he paid it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

That copy, unless something changes, is GONE from the market until the buyer DIES...which, God forbid, won't be for another 30-40 years.

:golfclap:

Cigs = $7.85/pack X 2/day = $5730.50 year

Coffee = $2/cup X 3/day = $2190.00 year

Wolverine #1 = $15k = Priceless :headbang:

Holy flubber, Batman! It's not only the same song and dance, but it has the same exact lyrics every, single, time...

Chris, you're a special part of the song. I'll start calling your part the "Oom papa, mow mow". hm

I'm not questioning how the book got to be MINT.....I'm questioning whether or not it will remain MINT after a trip through the mail.

9.9/10.0 books are encapsulated using the old inner wells. IMO.....SCS is valid concern. (shrug)

but the fact is that $15,000 can do a lot in this world, and some find it questionable to use it to buy a blue label..

If you think spending 15K on a GA books is perfectly acceptable, but spending 15K on thos book is somehow wrong or immoral because the money could be put to "better use", that's quite hypocritical.

Here's a post I made a couple of years ago when that FF #55 in 9.9 sold:

Supposedly, Victoria Beckham spends about $40,000 a year on handbags. I heard another report that she spent $500,000 designing a closet to house and inventory her immense wardrobe.

“It supposedly features a leather floor, Baccarat crystal chandelier, $80,000 Andy Warhol shoe print, a computer that tracks when she wears items of clothing and a camera to give her a 360-degree “cat scan” of her outfit before she steps out.”

I don't know what the average value of the collections on this board is, but let's say it's 20K. Sounds reasonable enough. I'd wager that more half the world's population wouldn't see the difference between Victoria's closet, and your collections. Sure, they'll understand the numeric difference, but in terms of utility and consumption, I'd guess that the comic collection wouldn't make any more sense to them than the closet does. And when I say half the world's population, I'm being ultra conservative, considering that more than 3 billion people worldwide live on less than $2 a day. That means that their entire earnings for the year would barely cover an FF #55 in 9.2, and that's for the lucky ones who actually reach that $2 mark. Those same people would have to work 10,000 days to come up with my assumed average collection value, which works out to a little over 27 years. And all those figures are for 365 days a year. No weekends for over 3 billion people, I guess.

Collecting material goods of any kind is avarice. Look at funny books in the context set above, which really is the "big picture", and not just your myopic views within the hobby, and it's all the same.

Forgetting about the global perspective for a moment, wealth(which everyone here has to a degree) is relative, and so is what would be considered conspicuous consumption. And considering that we don't know how much the buyer of the FF #55 is worth, we really don't know how "stupid" that purchase is. It wouldn't surprise me if what this individual spends on his collection, proportional to his net worth, is a lot more reasonable than what many of you spend on your collections, proportional to what you're worth. In that respect, how can any of you really determine how "stupid" a purchase really is?

So, whether you spend 16K on an FF #55 or a FF #1, it's really just 2 sides of the same coin. And to AT LEAST 4 billion people on this planet, both purchases would be considered beyond obscene.

this is a brilliant post.

I'm not questioning how the book got to be MINT.....I'm questioning whether or not it will remain MINT after a trip through the mail.

9.9/10.0 books are encapsulated using the old inner wells. IMO.....SCS is valid concern. (shrug)

I didn't say it wasn't a valid concern.

I was trying to say that you were the only person that cared enough about it to sing that part, hence the reason I called you the "Oom papa, mow mow".

If someone mentions the Oak Ridge Boys, the first one you think of is that bearded one that sings the "Oom papa, mow mow" part. Nobody remembers his name but they know his part word for word, and they could care less about the other members.

It's an honor to have such distinction. :foryou:

Look...its one thing to purchase a 15k car, or oil painting, or even a comic that has true historical value. In my opinion the buyer would have been better off buying a nice HG copy of Incredible Hulk 181....

Incorrect.

The buyer is definitely better off buying whatever he or she wants at whatever price it takes to get it that they don't mind paying. That is what the buyer should do.

If the buyer had bought a nice Hulk 181 instead, that would have been a mistake. He didn't want a Hulk 181 at that time. He wanted that 10.0 Wolverine #1. He probably doesn't give a hoot that the resale value might be 10% of what he paid.

I'm in complete agreement with Cap on this one.

It IS a shocking price mind you, no doubt about that! I hope the buyer's delighted to have that item which is after all rarer than Action #1's in 6.0 or better ;)

Dam.n Nik, now I gotta make my own coffee here instead of Starbucks...sigh. Thanks for ruining my "vanilla bs coffee" as Larry David would say....

How does a book get a 10 when it does not have white pages? lame.

That all depends if that is factored into the grade at all. Is it?

I was surprised as well since the assumption is a 10.0 is a perfect example of a book. I took for granted this included the page quality.

It is a sharp looking book though.

I don't know why nobody has mentioned this.

I guess because it is so obvious

But the seller's timing was PERFECT

They timed it for when the movie was coming out

I think this factor more than anything else is why the book went so high

Without the movie maybe it goes for $5000

Are you insinuating quitting smoking for three years to fund a funny book? :screwy:

I quit smoking for nothing :sumo:

Look...its one thing to purchase a 15k car, or oil painting, or even a comic that has true historical value. In my opinion the buyer would have been better off buying a nice HG copy of Incredible Hulk 181....

Incorrect. Your opinion. :insane:

The buyer is definitely better off buying whatever he or she wants at whatever price it takes to get it that they don't mind paying. That is what the buyer should do.

If the buyer had bought a nice Hulk 181 instead, that would have been a mistake. He didn't want a Hulk 181 at that time. He wanted that 10.0 Wolverine #1. He probably doesn't give a hoot that the resale value might be 10% of what he paid.

I'm in complete agreement with Cap on this one.

It IS a shocking price mind you, no doubt about that! I hope the buyer's delighted to have that item which is after all rarer than Action #1's in 6.0 or better ;)

4 copies of Action 1 graded higher than 6.0.

:)

If it were me that had purchased the book i would be concerned that the chances of another 10 popping up are realtively high as its still a modern book.

How many copies of this book must there be raw? Hundreds of thousands and probably some in warehouse stock as yet undiscovered.

Even if the buyer can afford a dozen of these someone that rich isnt rich because he (or she) is frivilous with cash. And to find a 1 of 2 book reduced to a 1 of 4 would be gutting, no?

Aside for the of thinking of people can do what ever they want with there money....

I always like to think of safety of future value when making a comic purchase.

I buy a book of a certain age and in a certain condition with the mindset that

I like it and want it AND the idea that I can at least flip it for 75% of what I paid

for it.

If I don't believe I can do that to a reasonable degree I don't buy it.

That is the only negative factor I have on this purchase is that I don't

truly believe this person can do that.

Anyway I am sure we will never know or care to know who did buy this at that price

so why do we really give a rats arse anyway???

:P